Some people are just plain MEAN :(

Options

Replies

• nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    That they are. Its ok though cause we have the rest of us to be positive and keep eachother motivated :)
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We can all use cheerleaders in our life! I think support is meaningful and appreciated...so I guess I am very lucky to have the friends I do here they are awesome and I appreciate their kind words every day! Hope you can find more friends like I have. Feel free to add me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    People have really said that? That's terrible. I have lots of friends on here and I do my best to be as encouraging as I can be. And I love it when my friends encourage me. While it is on ourselves to keep things going, we all have those moments where we're down about something and the frustration takes over. It can seem pointless to work so hard when the results are slow. I think we've all had moments where we want to give up. Having friends to vent to, who will cheer us up a little, who will tell us to take it one day at a time, and who will remind us that the hard work is worth it, is extremely important.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It is on you, you make the choices for yourself. Why do you need a cheerleader?

Wow..I feel bad for you.

That was the bi**hyness I was speaking off. I just enjoy chatting and motivating others (and vice versa)...like Facebook or Twitter, only with a purpose! Lol

Sorry you think I'm a b*tch .

It must be nice to never struggle or stumble on your weight loss journey.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    People are just plain oversensitive.....I mean really......Nobody on here is going to motivate you if you can't motivate yourself. My friends keep me coming back but because I enjoy the banter/conversations with them and some are inspirational. End Rant.

What do you mean? That other people aren't going to get my *kitten* up at 5:30 to run an hour before work? They aren't going to make me choose a salad with grilled chicken for lunch instead of a twinkie and a coke?

You. Are. So. Mean.
  • StaceyG221
    Options
    I agree it is not about needing a cheerleader or needing someone to motivate you...my hubby and my 2 youngest children are all tall and thin. My hubby, and I love him for it, loves me the way I am, but I don't! I am not able to have a workout buddy due to family constraints, but now I don't need a workout buddy, I have several right here on MFP. This is a journey like most of life, and it is wonderful knowing that I have the support of other women on the same journey to bounce ideas off of and for moral support. For those that wallow in negativity, keep it to yourselves! We positive folks will rock it out with each other's help!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    People are just plain oversensitive.....I mean really......Nobody on here is going to motivate you if you can't motivate yourself. My friends keep me coming back but because I enjoy the banter/conversations with them and some are inspirational. End Rant.

i know you only keep me cause i show some skin.
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    That's messed up :(
    Anyone on here is more than welcome to add me. I would never judge anyone on here or defriend them for not always keeping up with their goals. We're all human and most if not all of us have fallen off the wagon at one point or another.
    I think it's a bit weird for one person on here to criticize another for poor diet or exercise choices when it was those very things that brought nearly all of us to this website in the first place and you would think someone who is so self motivated would feel good about being an example for others.
  • TheresaC928
    Options
    Definitely add me. I am very supportive and love to have support around me too when needed. There are enough negative ppl and attitudes in our life while we are trying to be fit, healthy, and lose weight that we certainly don't need that on a site named myfitnessPAL.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have seen some ridiculous posts on here from people who judge other's efforts. Recently some jackwagon had the nerve to claim a 5 to 10lb weight loss was not a "success" from his perspective. He tried to recover and be nice about it but still. I readily admit I see many people on MFP looking for shortcuts or some magic bullet, neither of which exists, but all in all being part of a community of like minded people is beneficial. Feel free to add me.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Because humans are social creatures, and just like mean comments hurt and affect our mentality, so do compliments and people cheering us on. Athletes competing often do better when they can hear people cheering them on. THATS WHY.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who doesn't add anyone, but it's not because I don't like other people or am on a high horse. It's because I lose weight best on my own. I need to kick my own butt and it just works better for me that way. Forums are fun, but it's as social as i want to be on this site for now. I did once have a public profile on another username and it did nothing for me. This is my own personal journey, I've discovered, and I have to do it on my own.

Don't take it personally if someone doesn't add you. There are all sorts of reasons besides offensive ones. Try to concentrate on people who do want friends and support instead of the more private people who don't.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    As the author of the post that spawned this response-thread, I guess I'll bite...

What part of my post was "mean" or "unsupportive"? Because I don't believe a few hundred random MFP friends are helpful to achieving success? Because I don't believe being on MFP all day, every day is a good thing?

And for that, you call me out as being unsupportive/mean. (And then, most likely based only on your message, a dozen more decide I'm an ahole.)

Interesting irony, don't you think?
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For people who say motivation and inspiration are different, and only you can motivate yourself, I beg to differ. I think they go hand in hand. Being inspired by someone can motivate you into action. Merriam-Webster defines it to kids as "to provide with a reason for doing something". Can't put it in much simpler terms than that.
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    As a long time veteran in the trying to lose weight war, I'm convinced that supportive people motivate me. They cheer my success and make me accountable when I'm less than successful. They notice when I get lazy with tracking and that motivates me to get to the computer and track again. This will always be a struggle and it's wonderful to find friends to travel on my journey with me. I don't feel like I'm a great friend all the time because I get busy and can't comment as often as I'd like. But I wouldn't trade my MFP friends for anything.
  • GabsMommy28
    GabsMommy28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Everyone can use support and encouragement from time to time. And unfortunately not everyone is going to be nice all the time but everyone needs to remember that you aren't the only one that will have things happening in your life that put you in a bad mood. So a little understanding can go both ways. Calling people a b*tch or a**hole is just as negative and can do damage also. If they don't want to add you, move on, they are not meant to be in your support network. All you need to do is look and you will find people. I am more than happy to add people and encourage them but I also feel uncomfortable just adding a bunch of random people. I want a little bit of a connection first.
    So just cause you think someone is being mean is no reason to become mean yourself. Two wrongs don't make a right and last but not least ....

LET THE RAINBOW SHINE OUT YOUR BUTT PEOPLE AND SMILE!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options

Wow..I feel bad for you.

That was the bi**hyness I was speaking off. I just enjoy chatting and motivating others (and vice versa)...like Facebook or Twitter, only with a purpose! Lol

Sorry you think I'm a b*tch .

It must be nice to never struggle or stumble on your weight loss journey.
    You are so funny!
  • TheresaC928
    Options
    As the author of the post that spawned this response-thread, I guess I'll bite...

What part of my post was "mean" or "unsupportive"? Because I don't believe a few hundred random MFP friends are helpful to achieving success? Because I don't believe being on MFP all day, every day is a good thing?

And for that, you call me out as being unsupportive/mean. (And then, most likely based only on your message, a dozen more decide I'm an ahole.)

Interesting irony, don't you think?

I didn't see her call you out personally. Maybe I missed it. However, not sure why you are on here if you don't want support. I see you have 50+ friends so you must be supportive to them in some way. I got on here for a little extra support and getting it has helped. Life is too short to be mean when being nice is so much more rewarding. Just my two cents.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it's mean to be selective about your friends but it's not mean to call someone a b*tch or ahole when you disagree with them? Got it.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options

Exactly! Well said!