Please stop microwaving your food

Options

Replies

• JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    If this is true, I should probably be dead by now...

Didn't you know? You are. :-D

That's why I can see you. Because I'm invisible (possibly dead too). Just ask the 13 people who ran me over in the grocery store today and just kept walking like I wasn't there.
    Oh my o.O
  • Jymm
    Jymm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If possible... get a toaster oven or use the stove or regular oven. A saucepan with a bit a water will heat up your food just fine. Microwaves make your food no better than the plastic container you nuked them in. Food (especially the vitamins and nutrients contained in them that your body needs) are not meant to be heated up that fast and to the degree that microwaves produce.

The nutrients contained food (especially protein) have a certain structure. That structure is essential as it is used for "recognition" by the body's digestive system of what it is and what the body needs to do with it. When you microwave or nuke your food, you are denaturing or abolishing the structure of MOST of the nutrients and your body no longer recognizes it and considers it waste. It doesn't get used and goes in your mouth and out the other end. For some people..this can cause your body to trigger the hunger response in order to get the nutrients is it craving.. even though you may have already eaten.

This basic principle of this can be found in any anatomy and physiology book or H.S science books.

Try this test at home. Buy two identical 1.00 plants. Place them in the same spot in your home with sufficient light. Feed one plant regular tap water and the other microwaved water. The plant fed with microwaved water will be dead by the end of the week. Imagine what you are doing to your body with microwaved food.

And it may be hard for some to completely eliminate using microwaves due to schedule or other reasons but try slowly cutting back and see if you notice a difference in your overall health.

Ok.. I'm off my soapbox. Hope everyone is doing great and have a great Sunday.

Ok this troll post is brought to you by the same fairytale science that brought us bloodletting and creationism . Here are two reputable sites on microwaving food. Use them in good health.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/Microwave-cooking-and-nutrition.shtml

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Microwave_Ovens_and_Food_Safety/index.asp
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

The first place everyone should stop when someone posts something nonsensical.

PS: Chef Mike (bonus points if you get the reference) is part of my kitchen. I'm not about to give up on it over some overwrought, made up, inflammatory trolling.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    what i want to know is why the bowl or plate or what ever is allways 100* hotter than what is in it??

^^^^This!

Microwaves vibrate the molecules of water within the food, creating energy in the form of heat since their frequencies match. The container does not contain molecules of water.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    what i want to know is why the bowl or plate or what ever is allways 100* hotter than what is in it??

^^^^This!

Microwaves vibrate the molecules of water within the food, creating energy in the form of heat since their frequencies match. The container does not contain molecules of water.
    That's a good explanation of why a container wouldn't get hot, but the question was why the container seems hotter than the food. The answer is simple, heat transfer. Heat always travels to cold. So as the food gets hot, the heat in the food transfers to the container the food is sitting on/in. How hot the container gets compared to the food depends on how good an insulator the container is, that's why Pyrex (a great insulator) gets much hotter than a paper plate, because it retains much more of the heat transferred from the food.
  • SusuAtta
    SusuAtta Posts: 56
    Options
    Wow, alrighty then, I'll just cross "microwave" off my dorm shopping list. Now how the heck am I gonna make popcorn? :sad: But, my bank account thanks you.

Even if this isn't true, I'm still not getting a microwave haha. I just don't think I'll need one!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    When you are microwaving water you are likely breaking down these minerals, which is why the plant dies.

What a crock of GARBAGE. What are the minerals "breaking down" to? Is Calcium becoming say Magnesium and Oxygen? If you could actually transmute elements with a micowave it would be quite an accomplishment and you would surely have won a Nobel Prize.

[/quote]
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    Food (especially the vitamins and nutrients contained in them that your body needs) are not meant to be heated up that fast and to the degree that microwaves produce.

The nutrients contained food (especially protein) have a certain structure. That structure is essential as it is used for "recognition" by the body's digestive system of what it is and what the body needs to do with it. When you microwave or nuke your food, you are denaturing or abolishing the structure of MOST of the nutrients and your body no longer recognizes it and considers it waste. It doesn't get used and goes in your mouth and out the other end.

If what you said were true then we would all be skinny because all of that microwaved food would just "goes in your mouth and out the other end".

Of course what the OP suggest is hogwash pure and simple. Really, pitiful. Please use your microwave all you wish. It will not starve you. LOL.
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    So as the food gets hot, the heat in the food transfers to the container the food is sitting on/in. How hot the container gets compared to the food depends on how good an insulator the container is, that's why Pyrex (a great insulator) gets much hotter than a paper plate, because it retains much more of the heat transferred from the food.

No that is not the whole answer...
    1) not all materials are microwave transparent. Some plastics, melmac for instance absorb microwaves and the container gets hot. Many glazes and dyes can make otherwise microwave save materials unsafe for the microwave.

2) the food near the outside of the container absorbs incoming microwaves leaving the center cold. That hot food on the outside warms the container but the food in the center is still cold. That is why you are told to stir the food part way through cooking.
  • owyn999
    owyn999 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are new technology when measured by lifetimes. Scientists may have learned a lot about the human body and nutrition, but it is hubris to think we truly understand it's complexity. If we did we would be able to cure, not just treat the myriad of modern diseases that now exist. The OP may or may not be correct, but I think her views are quite prudent, and humans have thrived without microwaves, so you can't argue they are necessary.

Some common place items that used to be considered safe:

Tobacco
    Bpa
    Hydrogenated vegetable oil (trans fats)
    Asbestos
    Cocaine (dentists and coca-cola)
    Radioactive paint
    X-rays (without protective covering)
    Opium
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I live in a dorm room with only a microwave and a Crock Pot...or I could buy an overpriced meal plan with ridiculously unhealthy options and eat fast food since the meal plan doesn't cover 3 meals a day. I NEED my microwave!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you cook all your food in the microwave then I give it to you. Microwave is great for heating liquids, but if you somehow believe anything that comes from the microwave tastes good then good luck.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    haven't owned a microwave since um..... 2002.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Great... so we moved from bro-science to hippy-science.
    How long before we give in and just use real science?

Microwaves are fine. People are stupid.
    I use my microwave at least 3 times a day. It works great. The food tastes great. It even uses less energy than the stove. For the record, a number of foods actually taste better microwaved than baked.

In closing: Please microwave your food, otherwise idiots will think they have succeeded in spreading their misinformation.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Well - it would be better if we were still alive 500 yrs from now and could see if long ..real long term effects could be traced. Since we cant unless we cut off our heads and stick them in a jar and put them in a freezer and then thaw them out in a micro.....wait..n/m.
    Somehow I find it difficult to worry myself over effects that may take 500 years to manifest themselves. I don't think I'll be too worried about how I microwaved my egg whites or coffee 500 years from now. Life itself causes fatal results in 100% of people in a far shorter time period.

As for the original post - I call "broscience" and I'm not buying it.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    In which chapter in my A&P textbook will I find this information? Because I certainly did not find any information in my A&P Course 1 or my class on Basic Nutrition I just finished taking.

In a basic A&p book.. You can look up the effects of varying degrees of temperature on the 4 protein structures on a cellular level. Try looking up dangerous fever situations.
    In a chemistry book.. you can look up the amount of energy produced by microwaves versus radiant heat energy.

The reason I stated those possible sources than I guess peer reviewed sources because it is most available to get your hands on that is credible. (like I still have my a&P book and chemistry book from college)

OK. So, to try to do this in the nicest and least "bashing" way possible:

1. The OP *is* correct in saying that heat denatures proteins, and that denaturation changes the structure of proteins in a way that makes them nonfunctional.

2. This argument is not relevant when you get into the digestive system, because the major function of the hydrochloric acid and pepsinogen/pepsin in your stomach is to denature proteins so that your small intestine has an easier time breaking them down and absorbing them.

The bottom line: protein denaturation in your body's cells would be a bad thing (this is why you can die of hyperthermia), but protein denaturation in your food is a normal thing that is going to happen regardless of how you cook your food (you MUST break down proteins into their component amino acids in order to absorb them into your blood stream so your body can use them; you DO NOT absorb "whole" proteins, this is simply how your digestive system works). On the plus side, cooking food can kill dangerous bacteria, and it's feasible that starting the process of protein denaturation helps your body break down those proteins and absorb them without having to work so hard.

I'm stating these facts from memory, based on my 10+ years of experience as a scientist (including a BS and a PhD in neuroscience and 8 years working in biochemistry and molecular biology labs where I did a great deal of protein manipulation) and biology professor, but you can also find information about protein denaturation in your digestive system in the following biology textbooks:

Goodenough J and McGuire B. (2011). Biology of Humans. 4th ed. - Chapter 15: The Digestive System. pp.290-293
    Reece JB, et al. (2011). Campbell Biology, 9th ed. - Chapter 41: Animal Nutrition. pp.885-888
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think the Doc won. :) Thanks for the detailed lesson. Now I know more than I ever wanted to know about my digestion system. Grin.

I think you guys are getting a bit too serious - it's a microwave - not a political argument.

Oh, I do agree with one poster - there is no way I'm going to cook a wonderfully good steak in the microwave. Ick!

Also, the one setting that truly sucks is that defrost mode. If you slap meat in there - gross! You end up with weird stuff. I don't know about you but there's something truly awful about chicken with weird white spots or hard meat because it's been slightly cooked. Totally gross. My steak will remain on the grill. Frankly - if it were up to me - all my food would be on the grill. I don't know if it's healthy or not but darn is it tasty!

Monica
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think the Doc won. :) Thanks for the detailed lesson. Now I know more than I ever wanted to know about my digestion system. Grin.

I think you guys are getting a bit too serious - it's a microwave - not a political argument.

Oh, I do agree with one poster - there is no way I'm going to cook a wonderfully good steak in the microwave. Ick!

Also, the one setting that truly sucks is that defrost mode. If you slap meat in there - gross! You end up with weird stuff. I don't know about you but there's something truly awful than chicken which has weird white spots or hard meat because it's been slightly cooked. Totally gross. My steak will remain on the grill. Frankly - if it were up to me - all my food would be on the grill. I don't know if it's healthy or not but darn is it tasty!

Monica

For what it's worth, I totally agree with you - meat cooked in the microwave is gross, and only happens in my house if there is no other option (reheating leftovers is the only exception). I think the only thing we routinely cook in the microwave are those steamer packs of rice and/or vegetables, or reheating leftovers. Occasionally hot cocoa goes in there, but only if I'm feeling too lazy or it would be too loud to use the milk steamer on my cappuccino machine.

Edited to fix a typo :-)
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great... so we moved from bro-science to hippy-science.
    How long before we give in and just use real science?

Microwaves are fine. People are stupid.
    I use my microwave at least 3 times a day. It works great. The food tastes great. It even uses less energy than the stove. For the record, a number of foods actually taste better microwaved than baked.

In closing: Please microwave your food, otherwise idiots will think they have succeeded in spreading their misinformation.

The use of the word Bro Science is becoming extremely gay.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cooker, it broke and I can't currently afford a new one, (I have to move house and need to save a deposit), so my microwave combi oven is all I have. I have no problem with Nukeing my food and will keep doing so happily.