Please stop microwaving your food

Options

Replies

• supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    What? And use the oven like they did in biblical times?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html
    oh wait
    that's right, shorter cooking times in microwaves means you
    RETAIN more micronutrients!
    http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=1453972&show=abstract

Thank you for that. I was going to call BS, but I didn't have any articles handy, and I definitely didn't have any in mind that proved the opposite.

I microwave almost all of the food that I eat warm, because I don't have time to heat everything any other way. Breakfast is baked oatmeal "muffins" that I bake and freeze and a banana, lunch is raw fruits and veggies and mixed nuts, but for dinner I cook a big batch of rice and beans every week and nuke them every night. It's the only way I can maintain a healthy diet with my schedule. Even if what the OP said was true, I'd still use the microwave, because my only other option is eating the majority of my food cold.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I need to ask...

How many people actually COOK with a microwave? I've defrosted, heated up left overs and prepackaged, already fully cooked foods but never EVER used it to actually COOK my food.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Great... so we moved from bro-science to hippy-science.
    How long before we give in and just use real science?

Microwaves are fine. People are stupid.
    I use my microwave at least 3 times a day. It works great. The food tastes great. It even uses less energy than the stove. For the record, a number of foods actually taste better microwaved than baked.

In closing: Please microwave your food, otherwise idiots will think they have succeeded in spreading their misinformation.

The use of the word Bro Science is becoming extremely gay.

The use of the word gay is becoming extremely Bro Sciencey.
  • mcpickle36
    Options
    I will microwave water in a cup for hot tea. I set it for 3 minutes and it's nice and hot.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I will microwave water in a cup for hot tea. I set it for 3 minutes and it's nice and hot.

Careful, if you're part plant that could be fatal!
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I need to ask...

How many people actually COOK with a microwave? I've defrosted, heated up left overs and prepackaged, already fully cooked foods but never EVER used it to actually COOK my food.

My dad and step mom have a microwave that you can cook by temperature in. You plug a thermometer into the inside of it and then stick it in the meat. Usually she cooks meat on the grill but she does make meatloaf in it and it turns out great.

Not all microwaves are created equal. Another example... mine thaws meat fine without cooking it provided I use the proper settings and turn it when I'm supposed to.

I also once cooked a perfect turkey in it when my oven wasn't working.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    When you are microwaving water you are likely breaking down these minerals, which is why the plant dies.

What a crock of GARBAGE. What are the minerals "breaking down" to? Is Calcium becoming say Magnesium and Oxygen? If you could actually transmute elements with a micowave it would be quite an accomplishment and you would surely have won a Nobel Prize.
    [/quote]

And the value of precious metals would crash. Stick ordinary iodine in the microwave and *poof*, gold!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. Went to bed last night thinking this would fizzle out and here it is still running on! Glad common sense is prevailing.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are new technology when measured by lifetimes. Scientists may have learned a lot about the human body and nutrition, but it is hubris to think we truly understand it's complexity. If we did we would be able to cure, not just treat the myriad of modern diseases that now exist. The OP may or may not be correct, but I think her views are quite prudent, and humans have thrived without microwaves, so you can't argue they are necessary.

No, we do not fully understand the complexity of the human body. But microwaves are pretty darn basic and easily understood with a few basic science courses. No one is arguing that microwaves are necessary but rather arguing against the IMprudence of spreading false information. It's like saying spinach gives you cancer-sure, there's a whole lot we don't know about cancer and its causes, but that statement is not backed up by ANYTHING, and I can't say spreading that around would be prudent in any way.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I need to ask...

I have. You can steam veggies really quickly in there. My mom used to poach eggs in there, and I scramble eggs in there. She also used to cook bacon in the microwave. We had a special dish for it. We used to make baked apples, as well. Seriously, you can cook all kinds of stuff in the microwave. My mom had an entire cookbook for it, and Joy Of Cooking adds a special "microwave" section to a lot of foods.
  • owyn999
    owyn999 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are new technology when measured by lifetimes. Scientists may have learned a lot about the human body and nutrition, but it is hubris to think we truly understand it's complexity. If we did we would be able to cure, not just treat the myriad of modern diseases that now exist. The OP may or may not be correct, but I think her views are quite prudent, and humans have thrived without microwaves, so you can't argue they are necessary.

No, we do not fully understand the complexity of the human body. But microwaves are pretty darn basic and easily understood with a few basic science courses. No one is arguing that microwaves are necessary but rather arguing against the IMprudence of spreading false information. It's like saying spinach gives you cancer-sure, there's a whole lot we don't know about cancer and its causes, but that statement is not backed up by ANYTHING, and I can't say spreading that around would be prudent in any way.

X-rays are just as basic but turns out they aren't that good for us. The difference with spinach is that it has been around for
    thousands of years and has been scientifically shown to have a myriad of health benefits in the long run. If you were referring to GM spinach then I would support prudently avoiding that because again it is something only time will be able to show safe.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I was told (by my elderly relative) that the reason you leave the food for a minute after you take it out of the microwave is to let any left over microwaves escape, that way it is perfectly safe to eat!
    Well I think that settles that discussion!
    :explode:
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    jimmy-fallon-popcorn.gif
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Wow.. truly.. I didn't mean for this to start a big argument or for people to be rude to others or myself. I completely fine if you disagree with me but there is no need to be disrespectful to me or anyone else.

If you don't agree and love using the microwave.. then by all means...

But why enter a thread to bash someone else? Why not just ignore and move on to something else that interests you?

(I believe bashing and to disagree are two different things)

Because if you know that the opening post is a bunch of hogwash, shouldn't it be corrected to avoid spreading the misinformation to others and perpetuating it?

I did get an excellent early morning laugh out of this though :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

X-rays are just as basic but turns out they aren't that good for us. The difference with spinach is that it has been around for
    thousands of years and has been scientifically shown to have a myriad of health benefits in the long run. If you were referring to GM spinach then I would support prudently avoiding that because again it is something only time will be able to show safe.

X-rays are ionizing radiation. Microwaves are non-ionizing radiation. Do you understand that basic difference? Then add in the fact that microwaves were discovered about 40 years before x-rays, and have been studied longer than x-rays, and your entire argument fails to prove any kind of point.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We don't use a microwave...only because we couldnt fit it in our kitchen when we moved. It really hasnt been a big deal for us as we just oven or hob. Who can't wait 30 minutes for their food to cook? Also it makes us more likely to cook from scratch so we can really control what we're eating.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    And everyone should be required to check Snopes before posting stuff here.

Actually, people should be required to check Snopes before sending emails or FB posting as well.

Silly!
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I hope you're not suggesting we stop getting X-rays also because last I checked the benefits are still outweighing the risks.