Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Replies

• Juliann4k9
    Juliann4k9 Posts: 36 Member
    Bump for later. :smile:
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    bumping for later
  • BURDIE
    BURDIE Posts: 2 Member
    I found out about a week ago my bad cholesterol is 193. Doc put me on meds want off. Do u have any suggestions for breakfasts?
  • Hi!
    Can you please recommend some easy dinner or lunch time foods? Those that are good carbs vs bad carbs?? Thank you....hope you don't mind but I'll probably be 'picking' your brain quite often! :)
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    bump
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I found out about a week ago my bad cholesterol is 193. Doc put me on meds want off. Do u have any suggestions for breakfasts?

Statins haven't really been shown to benefit females unless they have already had a cardiac event. I presume 193 is for LDL - what is your HDL - good cholesterol? What was total cholesterol?
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    bump to read later
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    @OP, why would you as a licenced medical professional (nutritionist) offer advice to these people without knowing a detailed history and physical on them? Do you not know this opens you up to law suits? As a medical professional (nurse), I am appalled!

Please everyone try to understand that ANY medical information you receive from this site (MFP) is very GENERALIZED.
    If you truly have a nutritional (or medical) question, see a professional in PERSON! You may have a condition you are not aware of and can only be detected by tests.

end rant!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    @OP, why would you as a licenced medical professional (nutritionist) offer advice to these people without knowing a detailed history and physical on them? Do you not know this opens you up to law suits? As a medical professional (nurse), I am appalled!

Please everyone try to understand that ANY medical information you receive from this site (MFP) is very GENERALIZED.
    If you truly have a nutritional (or medical) question, see a professional in PERSON! You may have a condition you are not aware of and can only be detected by tests.

end rant!

Well as an ordinary gal with no medical training what-so-ever, I have to agree with ^ this. I would never consider taking medical advice from an anonymous person on a free forum.
  • I just read this post written by Banks, who was affiliated with MFP (maybe he still is?) on eating your fitness/exercise calories.
    As an example, I ran for 2 hours today. MFP told me I had 2370 calories today. I was hesitant to eat that many. But evidently, I may not be getting the results by not eating all my excercise calories.
    Just seeking a second opinion.
    Thanks.
    Brenda

I find that the calorie recommendations for exercise on here or often overestimated. I would just try to be consistent with your calories. I don't have any of my clients track exercise on this program for that reason.

I'm sorry, but without knowing how much the poster is set to consume per day without exercise and more about her exercise routine, this advice seems, to me, to be pretty much worthless. If she is set to eat 1200 calories a day (for example) and works out with vigorous cardio 3 times a week and lifts heavy 2 times a week are you saying she should just keep eating 1200 calories every day? How do you have your clients calculate intake? If you're going to talk about BMR and TDEE in this thread, I think it would be helpful to post an explanation of these things rather than vague recommendations to keep your calories "consistent."

For instance, here's a thread that helps a person calculate intake in a way different from MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Thanks for posting the link! That was very helpful and detailed!
  • Just posting to add to my topics so I can read this. What a kind offer....thanks!
  • pandurbear77
    pandurbear77 Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you so much for offering up your advice! I am starting to get so confused with all the different views on weight loss. With the stresses of college i stopped monitoring what i ate and completely gave up on exercise and I slowly put on 45lbs in a year and a half. So i decided to make a change and start counting calories again and exercising, I first started with about 1400 calories a day with ridiculous amounts of exercise to the point where I felt like a was going to pass out. I lost weight for a while but the weight loss finally came to a plateau. So I decided to decrease my calorie intake to about 1000 to 12000 a day with moderate exercise throughout the week. I also switched to eating extremely nutrient dense foods with TONS of nutrients so I am never hungry and I am losing weight. Is it ok to be eating this amount of calories? Im really afraid of starving my body but I feel like since I switched to healthier more nutrient packed foods Im getting just as much or maybe more nutrition than someone who eats 1800 calories a day because I don't have any wasted calories in my diet. I am just so confused with all this talk of starvation mode and people saying you need up your calories to like ridiculous amounts like 2000 to loose weight, It just does not make sense to me. Any way if you could help clear things up it would be very much appreciated!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member

end rant!

It's pretty generic advice and we all should realize that this is the only advice he can give without seeing someone professionally in person. I think he is doing a great service.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member

I find that the calorie recommendations for exercise on here or often overestimated. I would just try to be consistent with your calories. I don't have any of my clients track exercise on this program for that reason.

....I think it would be helpful to post an explanation of these things rather than vague recommendations to keep your calories "consistent."

His point is that estimates of calorie burn are frequently overstated. If you create a consistent calorie deficit you will indeed lose weight. Each person has to figure for herself/himself what amount of calories will create that deficit.

Exercise is good for general health, but it's calorie reduction that is critical for losing weight, so it doesn't make sense to obsess over exercise calorie burn estimates that aren't accurate.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member

end rant!

This site has a ton of disclaimers. Everyone should know that for individualized advice you have to consult an expert. Better generalized advice from someone who actually has studied nutrition than much of the uninformed nonsense I read on this site all the time.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Hi Tony I was a member of Weight Watchers and fruit and veg doesn't count as points. They say they have done new tests and found it doesn't have to be counted because of the way the body processes them. I did loose weight without registering
    my fruit and veg and I ate quite a bit of it but within reason. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you for being here for us. You can't please everyone.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member

It is a little concerning. I took a class last quarter that included an overview of the code of ethics for the American Dietetics Association. From what I remember, you're expected to stick to high standards of practice and present credentials and what not. If it were me, I wouldn't be advertising myself as a RD to give out advice even if I knew my shiz. However, the risk level seems pretty low considering all the disclaimers on this site and general anonymity. And, hey, this guy has way more potential to get people to listen to what he has to say, which is cool. Props for what you're doing Tony, but be careful! Might want to take your last name off your profile just to be safe (note: this is coming from miss overly cautious but still gotta say something ;)
  • Bump!
  • manny08phs
    manny08phs Posts: 23 Member
    [/quote]

Its like you read my mind! I was just thinking earlier I need to speak to a dietitian because I'm confused on some things...
    Question number 1: Do I eat below BMR? Or between BMR and TDEE?
    [/quote]

agreed im confused about this too
  • manny08phs
    manny08phs Posts: 23 Member
    Hi tony,
    I'm not sure if you can help me but i need help.
    I have PCOS which causes majority of my weight gain to be in my stomach.
    i was wondering if you knew what foods to avoid and what foods to take in.
    I lost 50 pounds last summer and im hoping to lose another 50 by next summer. Can you please help me

I'm not Tony, but I thought I might throw in my $0.02. I also have (or had - complete hysterectomy) PCOS, and all my weight is in my abdomen. Losing 50 lbs in a summer is amazing, and you should be proud of your accomplishment. Most of the doctors I have seen in relation to the endocrine problems associated with PCOS, such as insulin resistance or diabetes, suggest that a low-carb, high protein diet is the best way to lose and then maintain your weight. I know that when I was strict about carbs on an Adkins type diet, weight came off very quickly. Good luck to you!

hi tony, i also have pcos, and i have insulin resistance, i struggle to lose weight, i know that part of that is just working on portion, but would the low carb/ high protien diet really help me succeed in losing and maintaining?