I absolutely HATE dieting/exercise...

Options

Replies

• Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like this, until I admitted I was an emotional eater. Fried cheese balls dont actually taste that good, however they are comforting foods and do create a brain response because its basically designed to stimulate a brain response. Let your palette get used to fresh, crisp foods. Once you start to enjoy a nice grassfed steak, with organic roasted sweet potatoes, and steamed spinach with lemon and garlic you'll find fried cheese balls really arent as delicious as you thought they were. Real food does taste good, you just have to let your palette adjust, tackle emotional eating issues, and explore a lot of recipes and farmers markets. I would also try a ton of different exercises, classes, video tapes, etc. and find what you like doing. Exercise doesnt have to be on a treadmill, it can be simply dancing around your house or playing basketball with your husband. Get creative with it. I agree with the others that a change of attitude is needed as well.
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the 5 pages, so this might have already been said...but you're right when you say you need to find something to do that you enjoy. I loathe workout equipment and gyms...but I love nature and I love music. So when my "exercise" involves those, it doesn't feel like punishment, but release, relaxation, even exultation when the endorphins kick in. ;)

It's too hot where I live to bike daily in the summer unless I get up at an ungodly hour--but I have been hooked on ice-skating to my favorite music via headphones for 35+ years, now. It may happen to be 'exercise' but that's not why I do it. (I'm a bookworm/couch potato at heart.) I do it, frankly, because the feeling I get from it is addicting. If I'd never been introduced to it, I probably would have gotten addicted to something similar, like dance. If you're at all musically inclined, maybe some form of activity tied into music expression might do it for you?
  • smithy85
    smithy85 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started out hating exercise with a passion. I detest going to the gym and I am too intimidated to use the free weights with all the "fit" people over there. However, I found a program that I love, and that is Turbofire. It's a mix of dance/kickboxing and I can do it at home. I have bought a couple of hand weight and looked up a regimen for weight lifting for women. I still find the weight lifting more like a chore but it helps if I get my husband to do it with me and listen to some music.

As for the eating healthier.... this is something that I struggle with the most. I hate almost all foods that are considered good for you (anything green, cottage cheese, fish, etc.) I like salty, fried and spicy. I definately feel what you are saying. I'm still working on finding "good for me" foods that I can enjoy and maybe one day crave to eat.

I know how you feel with the FOOD....
  • camayallover
    camayallover Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know you have a million replies, but maybe one from someone who struggles too is helpful in an empathetic way. I've been struggling to lose weight literally for 10 years now. I gained it suddenly and ever since I can't find the "formula".

I know it is 4 basics: food, activity, H2O and mental spirit.

I get like 50% there. I eat right, have a good mind set (so I think) but find "moving" to be a challenge on a good day. And i mostly get the H20 in. It is some combination but I can't quite get them all in balance?

I keep asking - see my blog - what those who have succeeded, what their final motivation for getting it all right was?

I have friends that get "militant" about it - just go and do it and succeed. I have others that aren't that far from the balance anyway so it is more "fine tuning". Then I feel there are people like us.

We enjoy too much the idea of a nice meal, of just relaxing, of not adding stressors to an already stressful existance. But that mindset is deadly - literally. And yet I haven't found the right formula to fix it.

Is this resonating? If not sorry! I just would like a partner who is like me to help each other find our mojo!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 35 lbs since starting MFP and 46 since I decided to kick bad habits. I'm nearing goal now. I told myself it would be a lifestyle change, not another "diet" and I think that is one thing that helped me through it. I can't view things as "diets" or it makes me automatically want to rebel from them. I do exercise, but I'm a moderate exerciser, due to health issue. I guess I exercise 45-1 hr, 6 days a week. The other day is my "play" day. I eat pretty good most days. There are still "processed foods" in my diet, but not a lot. I have the foods I love when I go out to eat... and I still manage to come in below calories most of the time. I think it's everything in moderation. If I get to enjoy those foods I love still, then I won't go crazy on them. I live in a rural area as well. The nearest really good town to me is almost an hour away. We have a gym on base and it's always PACKED. I have bought some cheap equipment and work out at home most of the time. Just some tips from me! I'm always here with a good word or two for you :) This site has done wonders for me and I expect it to help me keep up throughout maintenance, as well!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I can totally empathize. I hate exercising. Everyone says once you get started, you eventually love it. Well, how the the hell long does it take to reach that point because it's never happened for me. I did it, because I felt I had to. I went to Curves 5 day a week after work for an hour and walked 4 miles around a lake 2 or 3 times a week. The walking was okay. I've had surgery since and haven't gotten anywhere near that dedicated again. The Curves I went to shut down and I moved further from the lake. I have a million excuses. 1- I hate sweating. 2- I'm embarrassed to work out in front of my partner who is now on the same work schedule as me, so I'm never home alone. 3- not much time after work, visiting Mom daily at the nursing home, making dinner, spending time with partner...etc. 4- the weather sucks most of the year here, rainy or HOT. 5- the equipment I have is too hard on my back and I can't afford a gym. I'm sure I can come up with some more but those are my top five.

When it comes to dieting, I have very little will power. I try. I eat pretty 'clean' (most of the time). No fast food, no fried foods, no carbonated or sweetened drinks blah blah blah.. It just seems that to make any headway at all, I have to be SOOOO strict that I'm miserable. And it's hard to stick to, when there are holidays and family gatherings and get-togethers with friends who are not as 'health-conscious' as I need to be. I fall off the wagon and it's hard to get back on.

I often think how nice it would be if someone could hypnotize me and force me to believe that I love to exercise and I don't like bread, cheese and dessert.

Anyway, try the C25K. I've been considering doing it too. This is my 3rd time 'considering it'... haha. Guess it's time to put aside excuses and get on with it. YOU and ME both. Let's DO IT!
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    You're not alone. I hate exercise too. I have 3 little kids (5,3, and 1) and after chasing after them all day, exercising is the last thing I want to do. It's just more work and it can be pretty boring, but if you find music you like to listen to or a tv show you can watch while you're exercising, it goes by faster. I've heard a lot of people like zumba but I've never tried it. As far as dieting goes, you should never give up the foods you love. If you do, then your "healthier lifestyle" will always feel like a punishment. I still eat everything I love - just less of it. So make sure you let yourself have some steak and fried cheese balls every week - just be sure to track the calories. Hang in there! It's worth it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    However, I have joint issues. I'm not sure if it's due to being out of shape (I'm sure at least part of it). Or if it's something related to the fact I don't do much dairy. So even when I go on walks, my hips hurt so bad for days. I don't mean overnight and into the next day, I mean almost a weeks worth of pain.

If you don't eat much dairy it might be a good idea to add calcium to the things you track on MFP. Leafy greens are a good non-dairy source of calcium. You might also consider a calcium supplement. Your body needs calcium and if you don't get enough from your diet it will leech it from your bones. But don't take high dose supplements. Too much calcium can also cause health problems.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of others have said you need to find a exercise you enjoy -
    walking (even better get a buddy)
    jogging
    biking
    hiking
    exercise DVD's at home (I love working out at home, it's a timesaver not traveling back and forth to a gym)

For food.....learn moderation. There's nothing wrong with eating a steak. You will be able to eat fried cheese balls......occasionally. Expand your palette and do some experimenting with different 'healthier' foods. Check into recipes. There is plenty of delicious healthy and satisfying foods out there. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. We are not all living on salads and Ice Tea. In fact there are quite a lot of foodies on this site!
  • gladpants
    Options
    I have found that i enjoy going to the gym now. I zone out and workout in my own little world. I always feel so much better after I do. Luckily my wife had been trying to get us to eat healthy already and is way on board for making new delicious lo cal meals. For a fat guy I was lucky that i was raised on healthy foods. I enjoy fresh greens and all sorts of veggies. I do like my meats as well so i try to stick to turkey and chicken. I look forward to the gym now and awesome food i get to eat. I eat when i am hungry and do at least 35-60 minutes of working out a day. Like others have said don't treat this like a diet. Try to imagine yourself 10 years from now. Still eating your favorite foods in moderation but also taking in all the new foods you have learned to love. Also look ahead to how you love hitting the gym early on a weekend before you go and hang out for the rest of the day. I love it!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So eat a steak. It's only 294calories for a 5oz NY strip.
    And eat the cheese balls every Friday night. 137 calories in a 1 order serving of HCHC Fried Cheese Balls.
    If you are exercsing and eating clean, then you should have room in your diet for some higher calorie items.
    Ultimately, you need to make changes that you can sustain. This may mean that you aren't going to see the fastest results, but so what? Living healthy is not a sprint, it's a marathon. I would rather lose 1/2 pound a week with a lifestyle that doesn't drive me crazy (that I can do for years) , than do something I hate, makes me so miserable that it starts leaking into my work time and means I'm facing an indefinite future full of misery. Give yourself a break, don't be so unyielding when it comes to types of exercise, or food.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

Perhaps the reason you feel this way is because you're looking at it as a "diet" instead of a lifestyle change. It's NOT a quick fix and it's not easy. It's a change that you need to realize is for life, not just "for now" or "until I lose X amount of pounds". The reason you probably detest exercise is because you're NOT seeing the immediate results that you think you should see and you've "done this before" and I'm guessing the same thing happened: No results immediately made you feel like you failed and gave you the "what's the point" attitude. What people fail to realize is that they did not wake up fat. It took time to get there so it stands to reason that it will take time to take it off.

Also, the problem could be the time you're working out. Do you have to go at 4 pm when you get out of work or can you go before work? It might suit you better to work out before you go into work because you have to get up anyway so why not get up just a little bit early and hit the gym before hand that way when 4 p.m. rolls around and you're too tired and unmotivated it won't matter because you already worked out.

With Also with regards to eating you're probably being too strict with yourself. No one says you have to give up your favorite foods. It's all about moderation. I still eat pizza, ice cream, the occasional fast food when it's late and I'm drunk. I indulge in desserts, steak, bread but I don't do it all the time and if I know it's going to be a night where I'm going to over indulge then I make sure that I add in an extra work out or just limit my calories during the day so that I have the excess to spend on food and drink and if I go over I don't freak out about it (unless it's becoming a trend then I sit back, reevaluate and fix it).

Again, this isn't a "quick fix until I reach my goal weight". It's a lifestyle change and you have to decide whether or not you actually want to commit to a healthy way of living which will increase your energy, life span and have an over all positive impact in your life in general or give up and go back to the "easy" way.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're on the right website then... -_-
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    How about trying the Couch to 5k program? It'd be nice to get outside when you live in the country :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    No matter what you reasons, you aren't going to stick with a lifestyle you hate. So don't. I live in a rural area -- we don't even have a gym. Why not get some free weights and DVDs and work out at home? There are a million out there -- surely you will like one. Why be on a "diet" --- just eat portion controlled regular food and fill in with fruits and veggies. I will take a day "off" sometimes if I really want something that won't fit into my daily calorie allowance. You won't find a single "diet" food in my cupboards aside from Stevia for my iced tea. I've maintained a 40 pounds weight loss for 8 years. I wouldn't have if I was doing something I hated.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I don't love exercising every time. But I do love what I can do there now. I love being able to work out like I do.

And it is worth it in the end.

Far as eating? First, what is 'clean?' And why do you feel you have to eat that way? Eat cheese. Eat steak. Both good things. Great things. Even eat a donut or a slice of pie now and then. Why? Because you like it. Because it tastes good. And because you absolutely can -- and should.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I read something as I was starting out that really helped in the mindset piece of things. When faced with a decision about food, don't think or say "I can't have that", but instead "I don't eat that" or "I am choosing not to eat that". I've always found when I make a food completely off limits, I end up craving it. But when it's a choice (and I make myself fit it into my weekly plan), I can often take or leave it.

it's terrible you had such an aweful experience at the gym - I've apparently been very lucky on that end. It does not, however, matter what physical activity you do as long as you do it. as many have said, find what you love and do it! If you end up running (or other activities), one of the best ways to stick with it is to find some events to participate in - that first 1 miler may eventually turn into half and full marathons. if you know you have something coming up, even a long hike with the BF, it's sometimes easier to stick to a routine!

GOOD LUCK!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm from a really small town area. So I joined Curves as a jumping off point. I need to build strength. Get an understanding of my muscles and be supervised. They offered all of that. So I am grateful for what I'm getting from it. I am just not thrilled with the fact I have to do it.

Part of my problem is I am a smoker. But I have noticed the more I exercise, the less I smoke. Big plus. Especially to get to running.

However, I have joint issues. I'm not sure if it's due to being out of shape (I'm sure at least part of it). Or if it's something related to the fact I don't do much dairy. So even when I go on walks, my hips hurt so bad for days. I don't mean overnight and into the next day, I mean almost a weeks worth of pain.

So I'm hoping by working out at Curves I'm reversing whatever harm I've done and can regain the ability to do those more leisure like exercises from home, like walking/running real distances.

If you can afford it, go to a nutritionist. Figure out if you need vitamins/supplements to fill in the gaps in your diet as you work your way to being healthier. You can take calcium supplements if you're not getting enough through diet, etc (although it can be dangerous to take too much in pill form -- it might be beneficial for you).

If you're new to the whole exercise shebang, take it slow. I started out with 10 minutes of cardio per day and worked my way up as I felt able. (This was a year ago).

Eat all of the exercise calories! Also, I noticed that the more healthy foods I ate, the more my palate adjusted to the foods and began to enjoy them -- and the energy/happy feelings they gave my body. Be patient, but also don't 100% deny yourself. I had 2 cookies yesterday, and some horchata.

Some days, it's going to suck. Be patient is the best advice I can give (which is ironic, as I'm naturally very impatient).

Last, explore all different types of exercise that are available to you. Look for new things. There are so many things. I have a good friend who said she would never do the exercise/weight loss thing, and then she discovered hula-hooping. Now she's lost 10 lbs, and can do tricks and stuff, because she found something she loves.

For me, it's rock climbing, weight lifting, ballet, hip-hop, and yoga. Never stop exploring your options, in both food and exercise, and you will find your groove.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one. I HATE exercise!! I do it, but hate it. If I break routine...then it will take me weeks to get back on track. I just try and make sure not to miss a workout and it becomes habit.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Please, don't give up!!! You are doing it! You are doing better, and you will keep doing better, JUST DON'T QUIT! You had such a hard week, and I think you just needed to vent and be heard and not get all these opinions thrown in your face. You just need more positive support. YOU ARE DOING GREAT! Be proud of yourself for sticking it out at the gym. If anger helps you push through you workout, then use it! Do you have friends on here to support you? You can add me if you wan't. I think it is only going to get easier for you. You made it through this week, and I know you can make it though the next. You don't have to be perfect, just don't stop trying!!