I absolutely HATE dieting/exercise...

Options

Replies

• wstokes28
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

Hey hon, I absolutely know how you feel. I hate exercise. HATE IT!!!! On top of that, all the feel good stuff that's suppose to happen when you exercise, hasn't happened to me yet. I don't feel great when I finish, I don't sleep better at night, my PMS hasn't gotten better. BUT, my blood pressure has improved which is one of the biggest reason I decided to loose weight and exercise. Additionally, if I don't exercise, I won't lose weight, no matter how much I diet and I am determined to loose this weight.

I have been exercising at least 3 times a week since April and for the past month, I have upped it to 5 days a week. I do it because I want to be around to see my kids, kids. So as much as I hate it, I just do it.

Good luck.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.
    If ONLY someone would put a workout program on one of those nifty new things called DVDs.

Someone should seriously get on that.
  • amandagyeoman
    amandagyeoman Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.
    If ONLY someone would put a workout program on one of those nifty new things called DVDs.

If only people would read my comments where I list the DVDs I have and have tried..
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

Hey hon, I absolutely know how you feel. I hate exercise. HATE IT!!!! On top of that, all the feel good stuff that's suppose to happen when you exercise, hasn't happened to me yet. I don't feel great when I finish, I don't sleep better at night, my PMS hasn't gotten better. BUT, my blood pressure has improved which is one of the biggest reason I decided to loose weight and exercise. Additionally, if I don't exercise, I won't lose weight, no matter how much I diet and I am determined to loose this weight.

I have been exercising at least 3 times a week since April and for the past month, I have upped it to 5 days a week. I do it because I want to be around to see my kids, kids. So as much as I hate it, I just do it.

Good luck.

I've been exercising 5 days a week. I don't get that happy feeling either. :( But like I was told, channeling your frustration into your workout = better workouts. I'm going to ATTEMPT getting up at 5am next week, at least 3 times a week and doing some cardio or kettlebells. I know I'm just going to be worse off if I don't keep trucking with this, but I wish it would have some sort of pay out. We got each other though!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

If only people would read my comments where I list the DVDs I have and have tried..
    I have a sense you're waiting for someone to tell you the following "Awww, it's okay. Exercise and eating right DOES suck. Let's all just be fat together!"

If you hate it so much, don't do it. No one's lives, but your own, will be impacted if you choose to continue stuffing fried cheese balls down your face.

You want someone to hold your hand? Hire a nutritionist and a trainer.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Please, don't give up!!! You are doing it! You are doing better, and you will keep doing better, JUST DON'T QUIT! You had such a hard week, and I think you just needed to vent and be heard and not get all these opinions thrown in your face. You just need more positive support. YOU ARE DOING GREAT! Be proud of yourself for sticking it out at the gym. If anger helps you push through you workout, then use it! Do you have friends on here to support you? You can add me if you wan't. I think it is only going to get easier for you. You made it through this week, and I know you can make it though the next. You don't have to be perfect, just don't stop trying!!

I will not give up. I don't feel proud. I feel like a failure for having to do this. I don't have friends on here that I know outside of MFP. My BF just started lifting again, but guys and girls have it differently. Plus he's way more confident than I am. Thank you for being positive. It means so much!!! :)
  • planetrunner
    Options

Sounds like you want a magic pill.
    So, blunt but realistic. Suck it up already. Or don't. Lose weight and be more fit. Or don't. It's your life. Is the cheeseball worth how crappy you feel and potential medical problems or not? How about a cheeseball once and while or a bunch whenever you feel like it? Why do you feel like it? Maybe you need to think about the root of your weight issue. I mean that genuinely. If you fill a void with food, you will keep wanting too until you figure out why. I read "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth ...which, I didn't think was very well written, but it did get my brain moving in the right direction.

You know what else you'll probably hate? Feeling overweight and unhealthy. I know I didn't like it.

Let me be blunt. I don't want to do pills or fad diets. Don't assume. I feel like being healthier YES. If I didn't, I wouldn't force myself to do something I hate 5 flipping days a week.Oh and please don't push your religion on me, I'm talking health not joining a cult.

I know they were being rude, and you got defensive... but the comment about "joining a cult" can be offensive to even the nice people offering helpful advice... I don't get why you'd say that and alienate people that may be willing to give you helpful advice.

It's called frustration. I'm frustrated with the attitude coming at me. I need help yes. I don't need help in faith. I need help in health.

Others have said it -- your outlook (based on the way you respond) reads as the real issue here.

It started with your thread title. Why couldn't it have been "How do I learn how to enjoy exercise and healthy eating?"

So start with positives, rather than the "I hate XY&Z" thinking.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    You are not the only one. I HATE exercise!! I do it, but hate it. If I break routine...then it will take me weeks to get back on track. I just try and make sure not to miss a workout and it becomes habit.

I am the same way. I started zumba and calorie counting last September. Lost 20 lbs. But October rolled around, my favorite time of year. I let it go. And what came back was every pound!!! I'm trying to make it a habit. Someone suggested the book "30 Day Challenge". I'm working on it. It encourages changing your habits one day at a time. I know anything worth the effort isn't easy. I just wish giving up WASN'T just too easy!
  • amandagyeoman
    Options

I have a sense you're waiting for someone to tell you the following "Awww, it's okay. Exercise and eating right DOES suck. Let's all just be fat together!"

If you hate it so much, don't do it. No one's lives, but your own, will be impacted if you choose to continue stuffing fried cheese balls down your face.

Perhaps it's a bit more than your narrow view. Like A) exercising/dieting alone, is a VERY depressing feeling. B) Saying ok just quit is like assisting a long painful suicide C) If I could afford to drive 1+ hours, hire a trainer or nutritionalist I would.

Painly speaking, I just wanted to know if anyone else felt this way and how they overcame it. I wasn't crossing my fingers and wishing on stars someone like you would attack me with their snarky attitude.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    How about trying the Couch to 5k program? It'd be nice to get outside when you live in the country :)

I will absolutely look into that! I think I've heard people talk about this before. And I would love to run again. I never loved it, but it's like anything you can't do anymore, you suddenly wish you could :)
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    I have lost almost 35 lbs since starting MFP and 46 since I decided to kick bad habits. I'm nearing goal now. I told myself it would be a lifestyle change, not another "diet" and I think that is one thing that helped me through it. I can't view things as "diets" or it makes me automatically want to rebel from them. I do exercise, but I'm a moderate exerciser, due to health issue. I guess I exercise 45-1 hr, 6 days a week. The other day is my "play" day. I eat pretty good most days. There are still "processed foods" in my diet, but not a lot. I have the foods I love when I go out to eat... and I still manage to come in below calories most of the time. I think it's everything in moderation. If I get to enjoy those foods I love still, then I won't go crazy on them. I live in a rural area as well. The nearest really good town to me is almost an hour away. We have a gym on base and it's always PACKED. I have bought some cheap equipment and work out at home most of the time. Just some tips from me! I'm always here with a good word or two for you :) This site has done wonders for me and I expect it to help me keep up throughout maintenance, as well!

YOU ARE SOMEONE I CAN LEARN FROM!!!! THANK YOU!
  • amandagyeoman
    Options

Sounds like you want a magic pill.
    So, blunt but realistic. Suck it up already. Or don't. Lose weight and be more fit. Or don't. It's your life. Is the cheeseball worth how crappy you feel and potential medical problems or not? How about a cheeseball once and while or a bunch whenever you feel like it? Why do you feel like it? Maybe you need to think about the root of your weight issue. I mean that genuinely. If you fill a void with food, you will keep wanting too until you figure out why. I read "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth ...which, I didn't think was very well written, but it did get my brain moving in the right direction.

You know what else you'll probably hate? Feeling overweight and unhealthy. I know I didn't like it.

Let me be blunt. I don't want to do pills or fad diets. Don't assume. I feel like being healthier YES. If I didn't, I wouldn't force myself to do something I hate 5 flipping days a week.Oh and please don't push your religion on me, I'm talking health not joining a cult.

I know they were being rude, and you got defensive... but the comment about "joining a cult" can be offensive to even the nice people offering helpful advice... I don't get why you'd say that and alienate people that may be willing to give you helpful advice.

It's called frustration. I'm frustrated with the attitude coming at me. I need help yes. I don't need help in faith. I need help in health.

Others have said it -- your outlook (based on the way you respond) reads as the real issue here.

It started with your thread title. Why couldn't it have been "How do I learn how to enjoy exercise and healthy eating?"

So start with positives, rather than the "I hate XY&Z" thinking.

You're right. I admit. Being more positive is something I really want to improve in myself - not just with the exercising.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I feel you sista! I hate it hate it hate it, Actually hate it so much that my weightloss has stalled for the last 6 months! I don't know if it will ever get easier or more fun, but ya...it's a punishment.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Perhaps it's a bit more than your narrow view. Like A) exercising/dieting alone, is a VERY depressing feeling. B) Saying ok just quit is like assisting a long painful suicide C) If I could afford to drive 1+ hours, hire a trainer or nutritionalist I would.

Painly speaking, I just wanted to know if anyone else felt this way and how they overcame it. I wasn't crossing my fingers and wishing on stars someone like you would attack me with their snarky attitude.

I work out and diet alone every single day. Have been for 3 years. I don't need my husband, or my friends, to do it with me.

Like previous posters said, your "Wahhhhhhhh, this sucks!" attitude needs a serious adjustment before you make any progress.
    But go ahead and keep denying it. It's the exercise that sucks. It's just soooooooo hard.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    I know you have a million replies, but maybe one from someone who struggles too is helpful in an empathetic way. I've been struggling to lose weight literally for 10 years now. I gained it suddenly and ever since I can't find the "formula".

I know it is 4 basics: food, activity, H2O and mental spirit.

I get like 50% there. I eat right, have a good mind set (so I think) but find "moving" to be a challenge on a good day. And i mostly get the H20 in. It is some combination but I can't quite get them all in balance?

I keep asking - see my blog - what those who have succeeded, what their final motivation for getting it all right was?

I have friends that get "militant" about it - just go and do it and succeed. I have others that aren't that far from the balance anyway so it is more "fine tuning". Then I feel there are people like us.

We enjoy too much the idea of a nice meal, of just relaxing, of not adding stressors to an already stressful existance. But that mindset is deadly - literally. And yet I haven't found the right formula to fix it.

Is this resonating? If not sorry! I just would like a partner who is like me to help each other find our mojo!

It absolutely is!!! It's that feeling when your friends ask you to go to dinner and all you can think is, I'm going to have to order something boring while I watch them eat all the things I love. But having the willpower to suck it up and do with it. To boot, I have super skinny friends who eat/drink so much more than me... and they don't exercise AT ALL!
  • amandagyeoman
    Options

I work out and diet alone every single day. Have been for 3 years. I don't need my husband, or my friends, to do it with me.

Like previous posters said, your "Wahhhhhhhh, this sucks!" attitude needs a serious adjustment before you make any progress.
    But go ahead and keep denying it. It's the exercise that sucks. It's just soooooooo hard.

Here's an idea... why don't you go... insert explitives here. I get the impression you're only here to get a rise out of me, there you go! Leave me alone.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    I feel you sista! I hate it hate it hate it, Actually hate it so much that my weightloss has stalled for the last 6 months! I don't know if it will ever get easier or more fun, but ya...it's a punishment.

I have so much respect for that trainer that gained like 70 lbs because his clients kept telling him he just couldn't understand how they felt. And he lost it, but he struggled with food addiction in the process. I wish it was a requirement. So people could know how people like us feel.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Here's an idea... why don't you go... insert explitives here. I get the impression you're only here to get a rise out of me, there you go! Leave me alone.
    Worked, didn't it? Getting upset at what people on the interwebs say burns 30 calories. You're welcome.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Worked, didn't it? Getting upset at what people on the interwebs say burns 30 calories. You're welcome.

Why do you keep responding just to insult? You obviously are aware you are not being helpful, so what are you getting out of this?
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    I totally understand feeling this way. I felt this way for years and just recently started to feel better and i still go back and forth. What changed things for me is continuously trying different things. I started with DVD's - Jillian Michaels, Jari Love (a favorite), Insanity, Zumba. I found that I enjoyed lifting weights much more than cardio (hated cardio until Zumba). So for a long time i would work out at home using Jari Love and Cathe...cant remember her last name but has the "slow and heavy" weight lifting series. and that got me working out regularly. I knew i had to add cardio because of course i wasnt losing without it and then i saw a commercial for Zumba i fell in love before i even got the DVD, LOVED the DVD and love the classes even more and nobody i mean nobody hates cardio as much as me. Now as for eating, i LOVE, LOVE food and feel i am addicted to several things like cheese, fries and chocolate. It makes losing very difficult. What helps with that is that i find cleaner (even if not lower calorie) versions of the things i love. For example i eat chocolate raw revolution bars, i still eat fried chicken strips but over arugula (12 calories for 2 cups) instead of rice and skip the fries much more often than i used to. ITs about making small changes and being consistent...and you absolutely have to find things both exercise and food wise that you love. Keep experimenting. Look at the recipes on this site, they really help. Keep interacting with like minded people like here on MFP and you will change that hate into love and appreciation...at least most of the time :)