New C25K for the New Year

Options

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I completed W6D1 last night and it felt awesome. I watched one of my new Biggest Loser workout DVDs while on the treadmill to distract me from looking at the display and to give me an idea of what I'll be doing with my workout tonight! I burned 455 calories and didn't eat those calories, so yesterday was a great day!

Keep up the great work everyone!
    Heather
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    How is everyone logging this for exercise? I have been doing the "walking 5.0" for 25 minutes because I figured the brisk walk and the run combined would be about that. I just don't want to log too high and it mess up my calories!!
    Melissa

well i have been using a treadmill - since it is way too cold and slick ot run outside here and i chart the average speed that i did for the entire workout.
    I started with week 2 this week -2 days down. (its easy to adjust the speed less amount of times on a treadmill)
  • melissahager
    Options
    How is everyone logging this for exercise? I have been doing the "walking 5.0" for 25 minutes because I figured the brisk walk and the run combined would be about that. I just don't want to log too high and it mess up my calories!!
    Melissa

I normally wear my heart rate monitor and log whatever comes near what I get from it. I normally end up logging that I jogged at 5.2mph for 25 minutes & walked at 3.5mph for 5 minutes (I always add a cooldown walk). That puts the calories burned at about 75-100 under what my HRM says & I'm comforable with logging that. I'm sure what is comparable completely depends on your fitness level, weight, target heart rate, etc.

When I put in 4.5 walk for 25 minutes it shows about 200 calories burned. I don't have a monitor so I can't be sure... ???
    So I guess it would be in my best interest to buy a HRM. Any suggestions on a good/decent priced one?
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Did W1D2...and all my stats were better than day 1! yippy! I use a treadmill, but do prefer outdoors. I have started C25K one other time and did so outdoors....black top, gravel roads and hills, in heat, humidity and wind. Was a challenge, but I loved how I felt when I was done. I have a Polar F6 HRM. got it last March online, and it was between $100 - $110. not sure what I will do when it needs a new battery...? does anyone else know the answer to that? I use the chest strap that came with it, and it is not uncomfortable at all. It is pretty close to cals burned with MFP, but you will be able to wear it anytime doing anything and it will be more accurate for *you*. Good luck everyone!!

I am 5'3 3/4", 190ish and burned 253, W1D2.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Just finished W2D1. It was a nice challenge. I look forward to it becoming easy. I use a HRM as well and I burned about 300 calories.
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Finished week1 day2 yesterday afternoon. it feels good to run again, even if it's only for 60 secs at a time.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I finished w1d2 w/ no trouble yesterday!! I'm doing everything on a treadmill for right now. It is too cold outside right now. Plus, even with the podcasts, I need the display so I can watch the clock when I'm running. I tried running outside a few times when I was doing the program in the fall. I would get discouraged towards the end of the run segments and stop before time because I didn't think I could push myself anymore. For some reason, I push harder knowing that I only have 10 seconds left or however much longer. The unknown is scares me right now. I started weaning myself away from watching the display last night. Out of the 8 running segments, I didn't watch the display for 3. I knew that if I needed to look down I could and that was enough. Tomorrow I'm going to try to not watch for at least 4 segments. Hopefully by the time spring comes, I'll be outside running with confidence. I'm just really lacking in that right now.

Does anyone have any runs scheduled that they are working towards? I'm planning on running a 5K for the AHA on April 10. That gives me that gives me 13 weeks to finish weeks 2-9. If I don't need to repeat a week (ha!), I would finish C25K on March 5. I'm glad I have the extra 5 weeks as a cushion. I have time repeat a few weeks or to build up some speed.
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    I also have a Polar F6 HRM, which I bought at Sport Authority for $100. I don't find the chest strap to be uncomfortable, either. I would highly recommend it! I love knowing my exact calories!

CrystalT: I personally do not have any runs scheduled in stone, but will most likely running on in mid-June; it's a 5k fundraiser for one of the organizations I volunteer with. I will also be walking a 5k next month. I say walking it because last year the trail was so full of ice and snow that I was scare I'd break something if I had tried to run! By November, I'd like to run an 8k. I'll be looking for some other 5k races after I complete the C25k and feel comfortable running the whole time!
  • melissahager
    Options
    Finished week 1 day 3!! Ready to move on to week two on Sunday. I can't believe I am sticking with this and actually enjoying it! Thanks for all the advice about the HRM. I didn't realize they were so expensive!! And I am guessing a cheaper one will not be worthwhile... good thing my b-day is not too far away!
    Melissa
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Finished week 1 day 3!! Ready to move on to week two on Sunday. I can't believe I am sticking with this and actually enjoying it! Thanks for all the advice about the HRM. I didn't realize they were so expensive!! And I am guessing a cheaper one will not be worthwhile... good thing my b-day is not too far away!
    Melissa

I bought mine on woot.com for $30-35, but they only show up on there every so often. They just had one last week, so it may be another month or two before it shows up again.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I finished w4d2 tonight. That 2nd 5 minute run is still killing me but I'm managing to push through. I felt tired before I even really got started so not sure what's going on there, maybe just general funk from how stressful work has been this week (err... and by "this week" I mean "the last 4 months").

I'm running slower than I did in week 3 and I really can't slow down anymore or I'll just be power walking. I'm okay running slow, and my plan is to continue focusing on stamina and finish out c25k. Tonight I thought maybe it would be good to then go back and start at week 1 again and do a slow jog/faster jog type interval training using c25k to build speed.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :smile: Did w1d2 yesterday. I'm going to proceed VERY slowly :wink: as I am more concerned with actually doing this than finishing by any particular date.

I was thinking about this--it feels so good to be able to run :happy: --I think it has been20+years since the last time I ran! And 8 months ago I couldn't even run in place! :laugh:

Keep up the good work, everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Good morning!

Last night I completed W6D2 and it wasn't too bad. I've found that if I play my iPod and have the TV on with CC, I can distract myself enough not to look at the display, which helps me go longer. When I look at the display on the treadmill, I start focusing too much on the time I have left and I get discouraged. It will be so nice this spring when I can run outside again...but, that seems like a long ways off!

W6D3 looks a little scary and it may take more than one attempt to complete it, but I'm proud of myself for sticking for it this long!

Keep up the great work!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Melissa

My Reebok XT was like $40 bucks and it does everything the Polars do. You don't need a Polar. There are other options. Definitely watch woot.com because they show up there for $20 every now and then.

I'm going to do week 2 day 2 tonight! The first day of week 2 was okay so I'm pumped about continuing on!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    My Reebok XT was like $40 bucks and it does everything the Polars do. You don't need a Polar. There are other options. Definitely watch woot.com because they show up there for $20 every now and then.

I'm going to do week 2 day 2 tonight! The first day of week 2 was okay so I'm pumped about continuing on!

Yep, watch Buy.com too. I got my ProForm HRM on there for $25 during a sale and that included shipping. I think the retail is about $80 on it. It does everything I need it to do (timer, stop watch, memory, calories burned, etc) & then some. At this point, I don't need to upload info from my HRM to my computer to make charts and graphs like a lot of the Polar models do. While those functions may be worth the cost to some folks, I didn't need to spend money on functions I'll probably never use.
  • CrystalT
    Options

Yep, watch Buy.com too. I got my ProForm HRM on there for $25 during a sale and that included shipping. I think the retail is about $80 on it. It does everything I need it to do (timer, stop watch, memory, calories burned, etc) & then some.

Mine's a ProForm, too.
  • splooshcar
    Options
    :happy: Week 1 Day 1 finished!:happy:

i wasn't sure I could do it but, so far, so good!

It's kind of fun to run again--even if only for 60 seconds at a time!:laugh:

Kathy

Good for you Kathy! Keep going! :)
  • splooshcar
    Options
    Finished Week1 with help of nicole's podcasts. :) I have to zone out while running or I start to focus on sore muscles and give up.

I wanted to run on a track rather than treadmill as I've heard treadmill running can mess up your stride, but I get shin splints on the harder track surface. I ended up alternating track for D1, treadmill D2, etc. This gives my legs time to heal and should build-up those tiresome shin muscles.

I agree with some of the posts, the early sets are always difficult, but usually the endorphins start to kick in near the end and I'm almost sad when the workout is completed.

Good luck starting week 2!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Just finished week 2 day 2. I'm exhausted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Mind if I join you guys? I started the C25k after Thanksgiving and made it to Week 3 day 1 and then.....fell off the wagon :( I REALLY need to get going again and maybe this thread will help in motivating me to do it! I plan on restarting with Week 2 and need to just suck it up and do it. TOMORROW!!! I need all the help I can get! :flowerforyou: