New C25K for the New Year

Options

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Scratch that - I was going out on the promise that I could borrow roommate's ace bandage, because my knee needs some extra support. We've been tearing our room up for close to an hour, and we still can't find it! So, no running until my knee plays nice or we can buy a new bandage. Not happy! :angry:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I definitely didn't know there was a thread for this! YAY!!!

I started the C25K training plan yesterday - day 1 wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!! I was certain I'd be pretty sore today but I wasn't this morning. As the day goes on though, the outside of my thighs is starting to get a little sore. But that's okay! It's not like it hurts to walk or anything :)

I alternated between a 3.5 walking and a 4.5-4.7 jogging. After I was done, I felt GREAT!!!!!

I'm using my blog to journal my 9 weeks - this way I can go back and read it to see all I've accomplished! :D

After reading all of your comments, it seems like week 3 is going to be the hump to get over, huh?

APRIL - week three is not too bad, it really starts to get tough past week 4. Keep hanging in there. It will get easier.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Me not posting isn't for lack of wanting that's for sure. I took the whole week off from ANY exercising to give my foot a break. It's starting to feel somewhat normal. I ordered a plantar fasciitis brace so that should be here soon. I can't WAIT to get back to running. I think I'm going to have to revert back to week 3 though since I've taken so much time off. :explode: :angry: :mad:
  • aag1030
    Options
    I definitely didn't know there was a thread for this! YAY!!!

I started the C25K training plan yesterday - day 1 wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!! I was certain I'd be pretty sore today but I wasn't this morning. As the day goes on though, the outside of my thighs is starting to get a little sore. But that's okay! It's not like it hurts to walk or anything :)

I alternated between a 3.5 walking and a 4.5-4.7 jogging. After I was done, I felt GREAT!!!!!

I'm using my blog to journal my 9 weeks - this way I can go back and read it to see all I've accomplished! :D

After reading all of your comments, it seems like week 3 is going to be the hump to get over, huh?

APRIL - week three is not too bad, it really starts to get tough past week 4. Keep hanging in there. It will get easier.

Thanks! W1D2 is tonight!! I'm really excited actually!!!! :happy:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I agree -- week 3 was hard, but week 4 was the major hump for me. I hovered around it for 3 weeks I think. I STILL wasn't comfortable with it when I moved on yet less than 2 weeks later I did week 6 day 3 which is a 20 minute continuous run. So, you know, sometimes you surprise yourself. :smile:
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Just finished working out. Did W1D2 of C25K. Burnt 373 cals, then did chest and abs, and upper body and core circuits on No More Trouhle Zones. Feeling good. Have a busy day today.
  • aag1030
    Options
    Just finished working out. Did W1D2 of C25K. Burnt 373 cals...

WOW! Great job!!! How do you burn so many calories?!?! I did W1D2 last night and burned 161 calories - W1D1 workout burned 200.... that's jogging around 4.7 & walking at 3.7....

I'm just curious if you're doing something different than I am :smile:
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just joined myfitnesspal after reading some recommendations from other c25k runners. I just did W3D1 today and it wasn't half as bad as I thought. I gave myself a pep talk before the 1st 3 minute run and it flew by. I've been listening to the Ullrey podcasts and using my Polar F6 HRM to track heart rate and calories burned. I'm hoping to make sure I keep motivated by posting about my runs and reading about other people's runs. :)
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I did it. I completed Week 5 day one with the help of some green tea, peanut butter and prayer. :bigsmile: Everytime I felt like quitting I slowed down a little. I started counting my 3 and that helped my concentration and breathing. I know it sounds stupid but it worked. I gotta get some better shoes though b/c my feet are killing me. I don't have that kinda money to drop but I guess it's pay now or pay later with foot issues.
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Just finished working out. Did W1D2 of C25K. Burnt 373 cals...

WOW! Great job!!! How do you burn so many calories?!?! I did W1D2 last night and burned 161 calories - W1D1 workout burned 200.... that's jogging around 4.7 & walking at 3.7....

I'm just curious if you're doing something different than I am :smile:

Do you use a HRM, or just go by the treadmill. My treadmill always reads low. I use an HRM, a Mio Motiva Petite. I love it. I walk between 3.5-3.7, and jog between 5.0-5.3.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Week 9 day 2 done -- 1st day of TOM and all. It finally dawned on me that I wasn't pushing myself enough with these longer runs. I increased my speed a little more and just pushed through being uncomfortable. I got a good bit farther in 30 minutes than usual but still not as far as I'd like.

I'm going to try to make it a full 3.1 miles for week 9 day 3 on Saturday assuming TOM isn't trying to kill me. I imagine it will take me *at least* 43 minutes, if I even make it at all. 3.1 miles is close to a mile farther than I went tonight in 30 minutes but I figure it'll be as good of a time as any to go for it. :drinker:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    I did it. I completed Week 5 day one with the help of some green tea, peanut butter and prayer. :bigsmile: Everytime I felt like quitting I slowed down a little. I started counting my 3 and that helped my concentration and breathing. I know it sounds stupid but it worked. I gotta get some better shoes though b/c my feet are killing me. I don't have that kinda money to drop but I guess it's pay now or pay later with foot issues.

What's counting your three? I'm a total running rookie.
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    I heard somewhere that TOM sometimes helps women run at their best while they are having aunt flo visit. I took the first day off and then ran for the next few days. My energy was up quiet a bit.
  • OliveCulona
    Options
    Hi all! What is everyone running at?
    I'm currently walking at 4.0 and jogging at 5.7 for 20 mins... i'm on week 3 of C25K and loving it!!!! Any suggestions to increase speed?
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    I am entering week 8!!! Woohooo!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS!!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Hi all! What is everyone running at?
    I'm currently walking at 4.0 and jogging at 5.7 for 20 mins... i'm on week 3 of C25K and loving it!!!! Any suggestions to increase speed?

Everything I read says work on endurance 1st, then speed after.
    I'm short with even shorter legs, but I run anywhere from 3.6mph (yes, I can *run* at 3.6) to 4.5mph and walk at 3.0 or a little above.
    I'm going to start working on my speed as soon as I complete w9d3 Saturday. I'm thinking I'll just do sprints & more interval training (with 2 run speeds instead of any walking).
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Some of my best days have been on that day. It's the week after that seems to kill me.
    I heard somewhere that TOM sometimes helps women run at their best while they are having aunt flo visit. I took the first day off and then ran for the next few days. My energy was up quiet a bit.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    TOM doesn't help me on the first few days at all because I suffer with lots of TOM related symptoms (bad cramps, bloating, fatigue, all that good fun). I have noticed I perform noticeably better during the first half of my cycle than the last half though.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    TOM doesn't help me on the first few days at all because I suffer with lots of TOM related symptoms (bad cramps, bloating, fatigue, all that good fun). I have noticed I perform noticeably better during the first half of my cycle than the last half though.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options

Ditto that. I'm taking some time off to deal with my TOM symptoms.

Still trying to find out what "counting your threes" is. A google search came up with cribbage and card counting. Somehow, I don't think that's is.