New C25K for the New Year

Options

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm in folks. I just completed week 4 day 2. Please keep me motivated.
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    Hey quick question, how many calories do we burn doing this? (i'm at week 4 day 2) Please mesg me if you have the answer.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Hey quick question, how many calories do we burn doing this? (i'm at week 4 day 2) Please mesg me if you have the answer.

It will vary greatly depending on your height/weight and speed.
  • splooshcar
    Options
    Started W3 on Monday. I've been going by podcasts and not checking the workouts so I was surprised at the first long interval, I thought for sure it was a glitch in the recording. :laugh: All it all, not bad. W3D1 was a lot easier than last week when i tried to run after my strength workout! :wink:
  • splooshcar
    Options
    Ok everyone!! Finished w1 over the weekend. DH and I are both doing w2d1 today.

Hope it went well and congrats!
  • missjacki
    Options
    tried to do W3D1 last night....my Right knee just hurts way too bad...I ran for about 20 seconds then had to stop. So I walked for 30 mins. Boo Hoo....I'm gonna give it a full WEEK to heal up this time...if I still can't run in a week, I'll go to the doctor.

Anyone else having knee problems? Or other injuries? I wanna stay motivated, but it's hard from the bench!
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    Week four is tough...not to disappoint you ppl but stay motivated!! Keep goals. I'm running a 5 K in May. Gotta bust my butt!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of squats lunges and incline walking to strengthen the muscles around my knees. Eating strawverries and cartilege is supposed to help also.
    tried to do W3D1 last night....my Right knee just hurts way too bad...I ran for about 20 seconds then had to stop. So I walked for 30 mins. Boo Hoo....I'm gonna give it a full WEEK to heal up this time...if I still can't run in a week, I'll go to the doctor.

Anyone else having knee problems? Or other injuries? I wanna stay motivated, but it's hard from the bench!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Didn't do D2 of W1 (round 2) yesterday as planned. I banged my knee pretty badly yesterday so I went for a very brisk 45 min walk instead. Hopefully my knee will feel better tomorrow. (I think it will--I went for another walk today and it is feeling better!)

Its frustrating sometimes trying to get this into my routine. When I go back to work in February I'll probably have to rethink my whole schedule. I don't know what hours I'll be working yet. Oh well, I'm getting my other workouts in, anyway!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just finished W2D1, and boy, those extra 30 seconds (going from 60 sec to 90 sec) are a killer! I'm sure it will be easier on day 2... (right?!)... Oh, and those extra pounds I complained about in my last post really were PMS-pounds! I weighed myself today, and I reached my target weight for Jan 15. I have 12 days to lose another 1.5 pounds to reach my Feb 1 goal.

My current 'injury' is my right achilles tendon. It doesn't hurt enough to stop me from doing my workouts - it hurts the most walking downstairs, especially in heels. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Did W4D4 I noticed my recovery time is a lot better but I still can't run the entire 5 min but I feel I'm progressing. Hopefully I can start W5 by Feb 2.

Congrats on the weight loss.
  • LittleSpy
    Options

Had knee problems at first because I was pushing too hard (running too many days a week) and not stretching. I took 1.5 weeks off, always stretch after, and only run 3-4 days a week and I've had zero problems since.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I finished week 6 day 2 tonight. Tough but done. Even tougher than running 20 minutes straight (it's a run 10, walk 3, run 10 deal). The 25 minute run coming next is scary but I'll just go for it. I did 20 Monday so I should be able to give 25 a good run (ha!) for it's money. And, of course, if at first I don't succeed, try try again.

The mental game is hard with week 6. I'm finding that I can breathe okay, my legs/joints aren't hurting, but my brain keeps trying to convince me to quit. I have to listen to music that inspires me when I run now -- none of the podcasts are cutting it for me at this point (I used Nicole Blum's 'til now) so I've been coming up with my own playlists for the long runs. I've been putting Gogol Bordello's "Forces of Victory" at the very end. It's a 5 minute song that's pretty much about never being defeated and Eugene (Hutz) repeats "I can't go on; I will go on" a bazillion times. It's exactly what I need because it's exactly how I feel when I'm running the long runs -- "I *can't* do this but I *am* going to do it anyway." :laugh: I just visualize myself running toward Eugene. :love: :laugh:
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Anybody else having pain from all the jiggling? My sides are killing me. I wonder if this is normal or do I need to go to the doctor.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Anybody else having pain from all the jiggling? My sides are killing me. I wonder if this is normal or do I need to go to the doctor.

I seem to recall an all over type soreness for the first few weeks. Not anymore though, so, I dunno. If it's just mild-moderate soreness you're pretty sure is from the impact, I'd probably take it easy for a couple days and if it got a lot worse I'd think about seeing a doctor.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I just finished W2D1, and boy, those extra 30 seconds (going from 60 sec to 90 sec) are a killer! I'm sure it will be easier on day 2... (right?!)... Oh, and those extra pounds I complained about in my last post really were PMS-pounds! I weighed myself today, and I reached my target weight for Jan 15. I have 12 days to lose another 1.5 pounds to reach my Feb 1 goal.

My current 'injury' is my right achilles tendon. It doesn't hurt enough to stop me from doing my workouts - it hurts the most walking downstairs, especially in heels. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

You probably have achilles tendonitis. Be careful with it because if you don't take care of it there's a chance that it might rupture.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Whew...just finished the first day of week 4. Running 5 min was a little tough.....but I made it through.
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 completed!!!!!! I even ran at 5.0 mph at the end!! Woohooo!!! We can do this chicas!!! :drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 completed!!!!!! I even ran at 5.0 mph at the end!! Woohooo!!! We can do this chicas!!! :drinker:

I've been trying to run at 5.0-5.2 the last three weeks but this was the first week that I had to drop it down to 4.9 to finish the last 5 min run. :grumble:

What speed does everyone else run at??
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I have very short legs. I'm not quite 5'4" and my legs are proportionally short for my height. The first several weeks I was running 4.3-4.7mph. Since week 4 I've cut it down to 3.9-4.2mph most of the time. I even had to drop it to 3.7 for about a minute during w6d2. I don't even care right now though -- jogging even at 3.7 takes more effort than walking at 4.0 for me so as long as I keep jogging, I don't care what speed I'm going. :smile: I'm working on stamina, not speed. After I finish c25k once, I plan to go back through it at 2 different jogging speeds to build up my speed.

I'm about to attempt w6d3. 25 minute run. I imagine I'll just go for 3.9 the whole time.