How to overcome the embarassment of working out in public?

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    We need a "LIKE" button for fantastic posts like this one:
    http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This link was posted in the "Motivation" forum (I think it's been doing the rounds by email as well). I'll try quoting it here - not sure it will work...
    Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

- Flint
    Love this!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I am just wondering if any of you have felt embarassment when working out outside, whether running or anything else?
    if so, what have you done to overcome it? Is it just a case of ignoring other peoples looks (because, lets face it, people do look for a variety of reasons)?

I am starting the C25K and am worried aboutdoing in in public.

No I don't feel embarrassed. Everyone has their own *kitten* going on in life. Just because I can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. Keep your eye on the prize instead.
  • ruffian25
    Options
    2 words...MP3 Player. I was intimidated first day at the gym. I go to a bodybuilding gym, not to many girls go there (the girls that do stick to endless hours of jogging on the treadmill) and all the guys are huge bodybuilders. I was the only person who was following a routine written down on a piece of paper and writing down what weight was used, I figured everyone was staring at me. I stuck my ear buds in, kept my head down, did my workout and left.

Yes I was right, people do look at me but whenever they do, they always approach me when I'm resting between sets or when I'm stretching to either compliment my form, correct my form, ask a question,or show me how to make whatever exercise I'm doing harder. I find the more musclar and bigger guys (the most intimadating guys to a new gym member) are the friendliest guys in the place who are always willing to give a spot, help adjust a piece of equipment or give tips.

So put your ear buds in, crank the tunes and ignore the looks. If they're looking it'll be out of respect that you're in there trying and busting your butt or they're waiting for you to be done so they can talk to you.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This link was posted in the "Motivation" forum (I think it's been doing the rounds by email as well). I'll try quoting it here - not sure it will work...
    Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

- Flint

Love this!!!
  • KatieSchoey
    Options
    Well, I ahve been chubby all my live long days and working out in public is something I enjoy. Rather it's out walking or waddling or doing a class at the gym. I just enjoy movement. and I love how it makes me feel. I am over 200 pounds and yes I still love it. I have about a 100 pounds to lose and I am hopeful that my enjoyment of movement will help!!
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I am just wondering if any of you have felt embarassment when working out outside, whether running or anything else?
    if so, what have you done to overcome it? Is it just a case of ignoring other peoples looks (because, lets face it, people do look for a variety of reasons)?

I am starting the C25K and am worried aboutdoing in in public.

I can totally relate to how you're feeling. When I first started, I simply didn't look anywhere other than where I was going because I didn't want to see anyone I knew and then would have to wave or smile (Which there was no way that was happening at first!) But then I realized that I was doing something to change my health and should be proud of it...I still don't really look around much, but it's better.

Keep going...C25K is a great program! It will get better and easier!
  • neikirkdk
    Options
    I did all my C25K runs at home on my treadmill starting in late Feb. I was terrified of running outside and what people might think when they saw me. Here's a couple of things to think about:
    No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch.
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." ~ John Bingham
    My first run outside was May 12th, and afterwards I felt so good! I felt like I had finally accomplished something. I ran my first 5K July 14th. I am now training for a Half Marathon in Oct. to walk/run it. I alternate walking and running days. And even on days where I think my runs aren't so good, I feel good afterwards.

Don't worry what others think - I admire runners, regardless of speed or size.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Try going later on at night. I find there are lots of people there hiding out from the day time crowd.

The above was my immature answer...

Below is my mature answer...

You walk into that gym with your head held high. You walk yourself out there AND you work out til you're sweating buckets on the floor. AND... when you're taking your breaks, you totally stare at the hot people AND think naughty things with a creepy smile on your face. Then you get back to your workout AND you remember that if you keep going to that stupid gym AND you work through that embarassment, you will be just as hot as all those hotties you've been staring at! Badda boom, badda bing.

Yep, I totally could've written this myself! And no matter what size the person I always admire everyone that works out in the gym or outside. The more you do it the more comfortable you'll feel.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    THis article might help you on a psychological scale: The Spotlight Effect - http://www.psychologytoday.com/print/97515
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    At my age I've learned that it's better to just not give a f*** about what other people are thinking. I'm the one out there trying to better myself. If someone out there decides to look at me and make fun of me to their friends, then THEY are the toolbag. Not me.

I'm the one trying to get myself healthier and thus becoming a better person.

They should follow in my footsteps and work on becoming less of a toolbag.

Luckily for me, I have it easier than them - my problem is solved with exercise.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bumb
  • sadiebear2
    Options
    Hi there. I actually walk at night for 40 minutes, but I wonder too, wat other people to becuase when the snow comes, I wont be outdoors, and dont know if I will feel yuckky at the gym =(
    Hopefully by than I will have lost enough to FEEL better.
    If I did not have this same issure, I would say not to worry. you are libing YOU life ♥
    Also, when Im walking and somebody sees meI remind myselfthat in 10-15 minutes they will have forgotten about me =)
  • trudi27
    trudi27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    when im driving down the road and see someone running i just think why cant that be me? so ive just downloaded c25k and will start on monday, im gunna buy a cap to try and hide my red face lol
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    II would be more embarassed sitting at home unfit than out exercising(regardless of the level/stage I am at)

Don;t worry, everyone i see out exercising, regardless speed, fitness level etc, I always think " fair play to you out getting exercise"

Just go for it

this
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    II would be more embarassed sitting at home unfit than out exercising(regardless of the level/stage I am at)

Don;t worry, everyone i see out exercising, regardless speed, fitness level etc, I always think " fair play to you out getting exercise"

Just go for it
    Totally agree with this, when I see anyone of any age, weight or fitness level out moving their *kitten* I think good on you and would never judge them or think they're wasting their time. We all have to start somewhere, you just don't wake up one day fit and healthy.
  • skatardrummer
    skatardrummer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I see overweight people and elderly people out running, I think of how inspirational and proud I am of them. I can't be the only one :) Imagine that everyone is rooting you on. If anyone is petty enough to cat-call at you or tease you, thank them for their encouragement with a smile, and remember that people like that aren't worth knowing anyway. They're probably more insecure about themselves in general than you are about working out in public.
  • Louiyen
    Louiyen Posts: 69
    Options
    You should not worry too much. It puts a smile on my face when i see overweight people running because they're out there to make a difference in their lives. I use to feel the same when i was out of shape but i grew out of it. Overtime, as you work out and begin to shape up, your confidence will skyrocket. You'll be running shirtless every chance you get. Well, at least i'm guilty of that. haha GL
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My own insecurity stands from being laughed at in the past. (Derogatory comments yelled at by an immature jerkwad in a passing truck, actually.)

Took me a long time to get over that and figure out that he was indeed a jerkwad and I didn't give a rat's *ss what he thought. I'm about to do the C25K program myself, and I'm actually looking forward to getting out there. I figure people fall into three categories.

1. So wrapped up in their own stuff they will barely notice me. (most of them)
    2. Notice me and think "Good on her for getting out there."
    3. Notice me and laugh at me.

1. and 2. are fine by me, and as for 3? Well, they're jack*sses and karma will come bite them in the butt one day, so that's fine by me, too.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For some reason, this thread made me think of the episode of "Friends" where Rachel and Phoebe were going running in the park. There's Rachel, all pretty in her little outfit and jogging like everyone else, and then Phoebe takes off running, arms and legs flailing in all directions like they've come unhinged from her body and yelling like a banshee. Of course everyone around stared at her, and Rachel asks her why she runs that way. Phoebe responds "because it's more fun." Rachel stops and thinks for a moment, then takes off yelling and flailing away too!!

Point being, exercise should be enjoyable and to heck with what anyone else thinks about how you look!!