Ketosis diet

Options

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb and losing just the same as any other kind of diet I've ever done. I don't get all they hype. The weight has never fallen off of me...in fact, when I was doing strict atkins induction for a month I stayed the same weight..that is why I came here. Now I eat low carb and 1200 calories. I think it is the calorie restriction that is working for me.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb and losing just the same as any other kind of diet I've ever done. I don't get all they hype. The weight has never fallen off of me...in fact, when I was doing strict atkins induction for a month I stayed the same weight..that is why I came here. Now I eat low carb and 1200 calories. I think it is the calorie restriction that is working for me.
    I actually need to gain 10-20 lbs. Not looking to diet. Diets don't work.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I eat a high-fat diet. There are essential amino acids (protein) and essential fatty acids (fat). There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate so glucose is NOT our preferred fuel source (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/). I eat glucose so my body doesn't have to work at converting protein to glucose. I can increase my carbs for a day or so, then drop them and I'm in immediate ketosis. My body burns fat like crazy now.
    Also, protein and fat are used for repair and growth so a good portion of the protein and fat calories you eat can't count as fuel (energy).

What would happen if your blood glucose reached 0?
  • jawheb
    Options
    Own fact what would happen to you if you are left without oxygen. However to breath is a process that requires other essential ingredients which are less known. Sugar is one of those other essential ingredients. In other words if your blood sugar level reaches 0 you especially your brain cannot breath. So what would happen to you if you cannot breathNow what Lexii told you is 100 true you would be having a seizure long before that. When your sugar level is low it is as if you are not getting enough oxygen.
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes I have. I am a Health and Fitness Teacher, Zumba Instructor and Personal Health and Diet Coach. It has to be done right to be healthy and you need to take alot of supplments to replace the simple carbs you can not take it... I have one client on my Controlled Ketosis diet and she feels amazing and lost 15 in two weeks. I call it controlled because it is healthy and good for you not like some of the others.

Can you tell me more about the supplements needed? I'm on my first week of keto and I don't want to be missing anything essential. I'm getting almost all of my carbs from veggies and nuts, but is there something else I need to do to go about this the healthy way?
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I love ketosis and low carb diets, I have lost ALL my weight from low carb. I find it much more restricting, which makes me stay on plan alot easier, none of the "oh I can fit this in" crap. So yeah, worked for me, 64lb in around 4 months.

You have a really cool ticker. *props to my low carb sibling*
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I did it and would NOT do it again... the weight came off but it was impossible for me to keep it up and I gained it all back after a year... even tho I always have eaten sensible. It's great if you want to loose for a special occasion but not great for long term - in my opinion :)

Unless you are diabetic. Then you make it work. I have no problem with it and I expect to be doing it for the rest of my life. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    The problem with low carb diets are that although you lose an insane amount of weight, you gain it back as soon as you eat carbs again. If you maintain low carb for a period of months then you go into ketosis and burn fat but that takes a lot longer and you have no energy during it. There have also been links to heart problems and other health issues when diving into a low carb diet, hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any more questions

no, you don't.

you slowly introduce carbs back in to your diet as you get to your goal. UNLESS you go back to eating mainly junk food (or however you got fat in the first place) you won't gain at all.

it only days 3-7 days (for most people) to get into ketosis.
    yes, carb flu sucks (the first few days) but once in ketosis you have amazing energy.
    detoxing from carbs is what makes you tired.. not ketosis.

eating low carb actually makes you healthier.. but you can find 'studies' (if you can call them that) to say anything you want.
    i can't think of a bad side effect from keto. it improves cholesterol, diabetes, can help wtih insomnia, anxiety, depression, seizures too!
    oh ok, one bad side effect, stinky breath if you don't drink enough water.

please, know your facts before you spout bullcrap, thanks so much!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The problem with low carb diets are that although you lose an insane amount of weight, you gain it back as soon as you eat carbs again. If you maintain low carb for a period of months then you go into ketosis and burn fat but that takes a lot longer and you have no energy during it. There have also been links to heart problems and other health issues when diving into a low carb diet, hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any more questions

no, you don't.

you slowly introduce carbs back in to your diet as you get to your goal. UNLESS you go back to eating mainly junk food (or however you got fat in the first place) you won't gain at all.

it only days 3-7 days (for most people) to get into ketosis.
    yes, carb flu sucks (the first few days) but once in ketosis you have amazing energy.
    detoxing from carbs is what makes you tired.. not ketosis.

eating low carb actually makes you healthier.. but you can find 'studies' (if you can call them that) to say anything you want.
    i can't think of a bad side effect from keto. it improves cholesterol, diabetes, can help wtih insomnia, anxiety, depression, seizures too!
    oh ok, one bad side effect, stinky breath if you don't drink enough water.

please, know your facts before you spout bullcrap, thanks so much!

^^^^THIS!!
  • Peg5678
    Peg5678 Posts: 15
    Options
    I just started eating this way on Tuesday (08/07/12) and already lost 5 lbs. I used keto stix to find that I've already hit a "medium" level of ketosis. Since I work out with a trainer 3 times per week, I am going to actually do a "cyclical ketosis diet". In summary, it's 5 days of low carb/high protein & fat. Then 2 days of high carb/low fat. Those two days are when you're not working out (for me, it will be Sat/Sun). During the high carb days, you can build up enough carbs to help fuel workouts during the other days.

This is my first try, so I'll see how it goes!
  • MisChef
    MisChef Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    consider watching the movie Fat Head, it's on netflix streaming and Hulu. go ahead and skip through to the 2nd half. it will explain a LOT... and it's what convinced me to go keto.
  • MisChef
    MisChef Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just started eating this way on Tuesday (08/07/12) and already lost 5 lbs.

what you lost is water, because glycogen stores water.
    when the glycogen goes back up, you'll gain that back.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Anyone on the ketosis diet? I don't think I'm willing to try this one out. Any success stories from those of you on this type of diet?

You already look great! :) I thought Ketosis works better for those who have lots of body fat to lose...I could be wrong...
  • jawheb
    Options
    Anyone on the ketosis diet? I don't think I'm willing to try this one out. Any success stories from those of you on this type of diet?

You already look great! :) I thought Ketosis works better for those who have lots of body fat to lose...I could be wrong...
    Thank you! My trainer/nutritionist asked me if I wanted to change my diet. He mentioned the ketosis so I just wanted some feed back from those of you who had tried it. I'm opting to maintain my current diet I think. I'm trying to gain weight and lots of muscle mass. Get down to 10% BF, currently at 15.2 and at a stand still.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

But can't this be said about ANY "diet"?

I lost 100 pounds eating all things in moderation. I gained it back. Was it because i started eating moderate amounts doesn't work? Nope, it was because I started eating like a hog again.

I've lost 80 pounds eating low-carb. Would i gain it back if i started eating carbs? Not necessarily, as still as I'm in the proper calorie range.

However, I'm now diabetic. I'll now be eating low-carb for the rest of my life, regardless of my weight.
  • albayin
    Options

Thank you! My trainer/nutritionist asked me if I wanted to change my diet. He mentioned the ketosis so I just wanted some feed back from those of you who had tried it. I'm opting to maintain my current diet I think. I'm trying to gain weight and lots of muscle mass. Get down to 10% BF, currently at 15.2 and at a stand still.

15% body fat, my dream goal.
  • jawheb
    Options
    @ albayin- you'll get there!
  • albayin
    Options
    Thank you. Do you mind sharing a bit more about your workout routine, intensity, frequency and primary diet plan? I am so interested. I am at your starting weight right now.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Thank you. Do you mind sharing a bit more about your workout routine, intensity, frequency and primary diet plan? I am so interested. I am at your starting weight right now.
    I sent a friend request. It's an insane amount of food and exercise to write it all out. It's easier for you to just look at my diary
  • albayin
    Options
    I sent a friend request. It's an insane amount of food and exercise to write it all out. It's easier for you to just look at my diary

Thank you my dear. I am sure I can learn a lot from a successful story like yours. :)