Overweight and obese children!!!

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It's really amazing to me that there is such an obesity problem in children here in the US because I look at my son, and I look at my nieces and nephews, and not a single one of them is obese in any way, shape, or form. I've struggled with my weight and am making a valiant attempt now to set a good example for my son (eating healthier, exercising daily, getting to my goal weight)--he, if anything, is too active and underweight!

Even in my son's school obese kids are the exception--less than 10% of the population. I guess we're lucky. But it is really frustrating to see obese kids (and parents) loading up on fast food and the junky food in the grocery store. Not that we never eat fast food, we just do so sparingly.
  • jlinam80
    jlinam80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well my daughter is overweight, but not obese. Everyone on my dad's side of the family is considered overweight even after having had weight loss surgeries, and going to the gym, and diet changes. I to am over weight, and I workout 5-7 days a week and eat well. I can't control what my daughter eats at daycare, but I do know that her daycare center has better meals then the last one she went to since the other one fed them sugar puff for breakfast every morning, but at home we only go out once a month, and all of our meals are freshly prepared and I have healthy snacks around the house and she gets one treat a day, and if she doesn't like dinner then she doesn't get dinner. My daughter does go outside to ride her bike and she plays with the neighborhood kids in the evenings. On the other hand I have a friend who gives her kid tons of junk food and the kid is a twig. I do think obesity is a terrible thing, and I think as a society we've become too indulgent with our children, but you can't just judge a parent by looking at their kid either.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    my 6 and 7 year old kids are the only kids at a normal slim weight on my husbands side of the family! they are also the only kids who have to be forced inside at the end of a day (or on days where it is extremely hot outside). their cousins on the other hand spend all hours of the day sitting watching tv or playing video games and eatting... one child actually came in from school sat and ate a family size bag of chips plus a few snack cakes then ate dinner a few hours later!!! parents have to be responcible for what their children eat and what they do during the day!!!!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    As an adult who decides to have a child it is your responsibility to ensure that your child learns what it needs to know in order to live in the world. It isn't just food I am sorry to say. Parents (and I don't mean anyone specifically just in general) are lazy. This is one of my biggest peeves so forgive me if I rant. I will say from the start that if the child has a medically diagnosed condition then this is not directed at them. This is for 'normal' children with no other problems...Also when I say 'you' or 'your' this is in the general not directed at anyone in specific so please no one be offended ;)

I have seen children sitting in strollers well past time when they should be walking..if a child can walk then that's it for the stroller apart from very rare occasions when it is simply too much walking for a small child. Don't be scared to push them a little. If a parent lets them get away with being lazy, eating everything they want and talking back then this is what they will get. Period.

I've seen kids having temper tantrums in the middle of shops because they want something and the parents just standing there watching them..for pity's sake take the kid outside. If they can't control themselves it is the parents job to do it for them. If that means the grocery shopping needs to get done another time when the child is either behaving or with a sitter then that's what has to happen. Children ARE inconvenient, life does not just go on as if nothing happened when you have one. Perenting takes effort.

When there is crap in the house that is what the kids want. If they don't KNOW what a coke is then they won't ask for it. If they have never been to McDonalds then they don't ask for it. If they don't KNOW that kids "aren't supposed to like" liver, brussel sprouts and vegetables they will eat whatever they are given. Children will eat what you eat. If they are offered treats then that is what they will want - I mean would you rather eat something yummy and chocolaty sweet or a big plate of spinach?? Kids aren't stupid..they will go for the treats every time if they have the choice. The trick is not to give them that choice until they are responsible enough to make it and by that time if everything has been done with the best interest of the child in mind they won't 'crave' crap.

The job of a parent is not to be friends, or buddies with their child.. it is to parent them. To make the decisions regarding what they eat and how much of it. To explain when they cry or whine that the behavior will not be tolerated and they do not get the choice. It's annoying to deal with a screaming child yes, but honestly, it takes only a few times to break them of those habits and have a respectful child that listens, does what they are told and has no food fetishes (most of the time).

There is nothing wrong with offering a treat on occasion but if it is offered daily or with any frequency then the child will expect it. Right now we are fighting this with our 4 yr old because he is not with us full time and gets given treats by others who take care of him. Last night he asked for a reward for doing something he was asked to do..omg child.. needless to say he was advised that this is not an acceptable behavior and I guarantee he will not ask again.

We have junk in the house since my thin as a rail boyfriend likes to pig out on things, but he responsible enough not to do it until AFTER his son goes to bed and to clean up the wrappers, and bags before the morning because if it is left out in sight his son will ask for some. Monkey see, Monkey do..
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    I worked at a restaurant for 7 years, and it is absolutely disgusting the amount of food some people give their children. There was a family that used to come in regularly. The children were about 3 and 5 when I started there. They were slightly chubby, but nothing to make a huge deal about. By the time I quit, they were obese. They had milkshakes every time they were there, adult sized ones by age 6ish. The side dishes were always fries or fried onion rings, entrees were always cheeseburgers or fried chicken strips. Plus they get served with rolls (one sweet roll and one flour roll) and a cookie for dessert with a kid's meal. Then they'd get a dessert, pie or cake, on top of all that! I don't even think I could eat that much as a child.

When I was growing up, we had celery and peanut butter, cut up veggies, fruits, etc. as snacks. The first time I had a real problem with my weight was when I went away to college, and now, after I just had a baby. I honestly think it's child abuse...you're setting your child up for numerous illnesses, plus damaging their immune system and teaching them terrible habits. It's a slow form of poison.

I just heard on the radio last night (so I'm not sure how accurate it is..) that 20 years ago 1 in 25 kids were obese and today 1 in 5 kids are obese. That is just really sad.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    As an adult who decides to have a child it is your responsibility to ensure that your child learns what it needs to know in order to live in the world. It isn't just food I am sorry to say. Parents (and I don't mean anyone specifically just in general) are lazy. This is one of my biggest peeves so forgive me if I rant. I will say from the start that if the child has a medically diagnosed condition then this is not directed at them. This is for 'normal' children with no other problems...Also when I say 'you' or 'your' this is in the general not directed at anyone in specific so please no one be offended ;)

I have seen children sitting in strollers well past time when they should be walking..if a child can walk then that's it for the stroller apart from very rare occasions when it is simply too much walking for a small child. Don't be scared to push them a little. If a parent lets them get away with being lazy, eating everything they want and talking back then this is what they will get. Period.

I've seen kids having temper tantrums in the middle of shops because they want something and the parents just standing there watching them..for pity's sake take the kid outside. If they can't control themselves it is the parents job to do it for them. If that means the grocery shopping needs to get done another time when the child is either behaving or with a sitter then that's what has to happen. Children ARE inconvenient, life does not just go on as if nothing happened when you have one. Perenting takes effort.

When there is crap in the house that is what the kids want. If they don't KNOW what a coke is then they won't ask for it. If they have never been to McDonalds then they don't ask for it. If they don't KNOW that kids "aren't supposed to like" liver, brussel sprouts and vegetables they will eat whatever they are given. Children will eat what you eat. If they are offered treats then that is what they will want - I mean would you rather eat something yummy and chocolaty sweet or a big plate of spinach?? Kids aren't stupid..they will go for the treats every time if they have the choice. The trick is not to give them that choice until they are responsible enough to make it and by that time if everything has been done with the best interest of the child in mind they won't 'crave' crap.

The job of a parent is not to be friends, or buddies with their child.. it is to parent them. To make the decisions regarding what they eat and how much of it. To explain when they cry or whine that the behavior will not be tolerated and they do not get the choice. It's annoying to deal with a screaming child yes, but honestly, it takes only a few times to break them of those habits and have a respectful child that listens, does what they are told and has no food fetishes (most of the time).

There is nothing wrong with offering a treat on occasion but if it is offered daily or with any frequency then the child will expect it. Right now we are fighting this with our 4 yr old because he is not with us full time and gets given treats by others who take care of him. Last night he asked for a reward for doing something he was asked to do..omg child.. needless to say he was advised that this is not an acceptable behavior and I guarantee he will not ask again.

We have junk in the house since my thin as a rail boyfriend likes to pig out on things, but he responsible enough not to do it until AFTER his son goes to bed and to clean up the wrappers, and bags before the morning because if it is left out in sight his son will ask for some. Monkey see, Monkey do..
    Take a jump - this post pissed me off so much.
    Your thin as a rail boyfriend likes to pig out on things - so its okay because he is thin and doesn't do it in front of son.
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Your thin as a rail boyfriend likes to pig out on things - so its okay because he is thin and doesn't do it in front of son.

it made me LOL hahahahahaha he pigs out on stuff and "hides" it? LMAO because we all know that if he is rail thin than its ok right? and heaven forbid they throw a tantrum! ahaha whatever
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I must admit I say this to my kids often enough. they have plenty of friends but I'm their parent. Yes it can be easier to give in but not in the long run. Must admit my son who is 'typical' eats almost everything and will try most things ( and he is the one with food allergies). My kids like looking at the fruit and veg in the supermarket and like trying new things.

The kids do go to McDonalds but have to walk there and back and the only time they have fizzy pop in the house is xmas or if we been on a day out and I treated them to some.

I do wonder how people can afford to eat out as much. A trip to McDonalds for the four kids come to around £15 which could allow to buy a days worth of food - imagine that for 7 days - £105.
  • marmar2903
    marmar2903 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is very sad to see how big some of these kids are and know the misery they are going to have, if things don't change for them. I don't have kids, but what hit home for me was last year, my husband and I were getting on a roller coaster. A young man (looked to be around 15 to 16) tried to sit behind us. He was so large, that they couldn't fit him in. The man working the coaster kept trying to help him- telling him to slide this way, etc. The boy finally said he would just get off. It was so sad. How miserable, if at that young you can't do the things you want to. And the sad things is that the seats on that coaster were actually about the largest in the park, so I know he couldn't ride any of the other coasters. Just made my heart hurt for him. I hope that it motivated him to make some changes.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So many parents wants to be their kids BFF. Parents are the bad guy...they think their kids wont love them unless they give them everything they want. Well, you AREN'T their friend...you are their parent. They have friends....parents are the ones they look to for guidance and discipline....to set the right example socially AND healthwise. Treat your kid like your kid and they will thank you when THEY have kids.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but I didn't read anywhere that I said it was OK. He doesn't do it in front of his son because it is NOT OK but he is a grown adult and it's his body so I refrain from making any decisions about HIM. He can take care of himself. The 4 yr old can not.

It's unfortunate that the point has been missed due to the focus on something that was not even written.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I saw a 3 year old girl at the water park who was so fat she could barely climb the stairs to the water element. The parents were also quite large. How can this not be their fault? All the other kids were running from her, so sad. Another issue with pre packaged and fast foods though, my mother in law is raising her daughters 4 kids, all are normal weight but the 9 and 11 yr old have high cholesteral! How horrible is that. So just because a child is not over weight does not mean an un healthy diet is not affecting your health.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Far better to use star charts and non-food rewards for good behavious than junk food, think you're right not to get into that, and kids shouldn't get rewards just for doing things they should be doing anyways, like cleaning their teeth, going to bed when they're meant to, sharing, or tidying their toys up. I got rewards for exceptional things, like getting merits at school, passing my music exams, or helping round the house more than the usual stuff I was expected to do. Or we had treats because it was a birthday, special holiday etc. Not just for doing the things that my parents asked - that was just part of life!

Difficult though when you are dealing with children who have 2 homes, 2 sets of boundaries etc.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but even seeing some kids and what they eat breaks my heart. One of my friends, that I no longer hang out with, takes her toddler (just turned 2) to McDonald's twice a week, and has been going since she was eating solid food. I no longer hang out with them because they were enabling my bad habits too incidentally and that's how I gained weight!...
  • PortiaZabrina
    PortiaZabrina Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you brought this topic up, particularily because it's a growing problem these days.
    When I was in elementary, I think there was only 2 fat kids out of 50 kids in my grade... Now, I look at my younger siblings yearbooks, and you can clearly see the jump in amounts of male and female students who already have a double chin, bingo arms, pot bellies, thunder thighs and boobs. These kids are 10! We had a discussion in school saying that healthy food is more expensive then junk food, and that might be true, but when you consider how much money goes towards dental bills, prescriptions, time off work because you are ill due to bad eating habits, and self induced diabetes, etc, it adds up. There is no excuse for feeding your children **** quality food. A lot of parents say their kids get adequate amounts of exercise, but healthy living is more about what you put into your body opposed to anything else. It starts from within.

It's child abuse to put them through that. When a childs knees bend inward because their bones aren't strong enough to support the extra weight, it's similiar to hormone fed chickens who can't walk because their legs cannot support it. Parents who let their children eat eveything they wanted to eat everyday as kids are bad parents. Parents seem to be less concerned because their kids "will just loose it when they are older," and that's a lame **** quality excuse. If you teach them when they are at the foundation of their lives to be so unhealthy, why would they bother when they are older.

I'm sure everyons seen the commercial for Here comes Honey Bo Bo or whatever the new TLC show is with the little girl.... did anyone notice that the ENTIRE FAMILY IS OVERWEIGHT? And then it's aired on t.v, you know how much people are going to watch that and kids are gonna think its okay to look like that cause that chubby little girl is famous?

It's like how the Olympics are sponsored by MacDonalds.
    Little kids look at that and probably think, but top notch athletes eat big macs so I can too!
    THAT'S COMPLETE GARBAGE! You think an althete eats that crap? Hell no!

Society better get their *kitten* in gear over this, it's not fair letting a child get obese, they can't drive to the grocery store to buy their food. Parents need to start saying "No" to chips and pop and chocolate or they should have their children taken away. It's no quality of life.
  • PlushHyena
    Options
    People find it easier to throw their kid a chocolate to make it happy, than to keep it company (talk, play, teach it about life)... Same thing with the TV and computer. But there were always bad parents. Guess chocolate and TV are just more available now.
  • hockeymama1963
    hockeymama1963 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A LOCK ON THE FRIDGE FOR AN 11 year old

No lock on the firdge in my house when I was a kid. If you wanted something you asked, if you were told no that was the end of it

Parents nowadays think there kids are special and need to be treated and waited on hand and foot.

AMEN to that. My 12 year old still asks for things before raiding the fridge or cupboards and he plays soccer as well as ice hockey and when he is not doing that he is out in the yard practicing his shots or riding his bicycle all over the neighborhood.

When did kids becoime the boss over the family? Not in my house. My kids ( most are grown up now) asked for snacks and were made to go hungry if they didn't want was on the table. They were not allowed television or computer until they were done with homework and had done their chores. They were not skinny minis because I love to bake but none of them were ever obese. I didn't have time to wait on them hand and foot. as I worked outside of the home and they were very involved with school activities as well as out of school activities.
  • wildside79
    Options
    Video games, lazy parents that don't prepare fresh, healthy meals, hormones in the food (genetic engineering) and lack of ambition. I am 37 and there was only one fat kid in the class when I was growing up. Now I look at kids and I am in shock. My teenagers have been allowed to eat what they want because they have my genes thank goodness but not every child can do that and not blow up. I feel bad for the in a way but it's usually a family thing. I see fat kids, I see their fat parents and shake my head....

My genes allowed me to eat what I wanted for as long as I wanted, but as soon as I hit mid 20s and didn't have good diet and eating patterns it caught up with me.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but I didn't read anywhere that I said it was OK. He doesn't do it in front of his son because it is NOT OK but he is a grown adult and it's his body so I refrain from making any decisions about HIM. He can take care of himself. The 4 yr old can not.

It's unfortunate that the point has been missed due to the focus on something that was not even written.

I totally got what you were saying. I have a rail thin husband that eats whatever he wants. I have never had a weight problem either just a baby at 37 and the fat is going away, taking a little longer than it did 15 years ago but soon I will be back to normal. If we want to eat junk we just eat it. I might give my little one a bit if it's cake or cookies something like that but there is no way I will let him over eat especially if it's junk. My teenagers are on their own. I don't force them to eat. It's their choice now. They are 16 and 19.... I am not that overbearing.
  • TrishDLish81
    Options

Are you suggesting that until a child is old enough to recognize what is healthy and choose that over something that is junky (but tastier) - which, by all accounts, could be well into their teen years or even older, or maybe never, judging the number of obese adults these days - they should not be allowed to even know that such treats exist? That sounds like just as potentially disastrous as overfeeding junk.