Overweight and obese children!!!

Options

Replies

• zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It is abuse in my book. Food should be treated as poiston if it gets to the point of health issues. My kids eat what is put in front of them except one. She is very picky, but do you know what I do? I serve it for the next meal and then the next meal until her stomach takes over for her stubbornness and she finally eats. She is getting better because she knows she is going to have to eat it anyway and is now starting to like some of the food.
  • staceybrewer
    staceybrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OK - I must speak up!
    I was a very overweight child. My parents did everything they could. My mother is an RN and knows what to feed her children.

I hate to hear people make such generalizations about every person out there. We don't fall into the same mold.

I have learned over the years that I have a serious food addiction. I had weightloss surgery 12 years ago and without that I would have just continued to eat my way into oblivion.

You can't blame the whole world for what one person does. I made my own choices, I would sneak mass quanitities of food (just like a dope fiend), I would lie to everyone, I would take advantage of deals (lose 20 pounds and we'll get you a kitten), and try to do what I needed to do to appease everyone.

I never wanted it for myself.

There is not much you can do for a child who does not want it for themselves.

I speak from experience on this. Don't blame the parents... at least not all the time!
  • ailsauk
    ailsauk Posts: 1
    Options
    I was an overweight child because I was unhappy and I used to steal food!

My son now sixteen has Aspergers, he was overweight, should I be ashamed of myself? No I was trying everything I could do to encourage him. Because of his Aspergers I need to talk to him in a very direct manner. I sat him down, he was 14 at the time. I told him if he didn't lose weight he would get diabetes and he would die you. Harsh yes but that's how you talk to them! I took all junk food out of the house and told him I wouldn't ban any foods but if he wanted any junk food he would have to walk and get some, and go on the trampoline for half an hour! He was 11 st

He is now 9 stone and on the average centile!

Sometimes it isn't the parents fault, yes they could do more to educate and be a good example.

I have realised that Luke works with routines and if he has breakfast and there is nothing planned for the morning he immediately starts asking about lunch. It is because of the lack of structure in his day he starts looking toward the next thing in the day he knows will happen which will be the next meal. So now if he asks about food I give him things to do. Some days he's got to the afternoon and realised he skipped breakfast!

As with all thing there are individual circumstances!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

let me think on it...I'm going to go feed her some doughnuts first.

dont forget the soda in the baby bottle!
  • staceybrewer
    staceybrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Since when is it the government's problem (CPS) what we feed our kids? That is just absurd!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    its like saying "yeah i beat my child and i know its not healthy but its MY child"

now if your kid has a legit psychological or medical problem thats different but we all know thats very rare. most obese kids are the result of bad food and no parental guidance.
  • westup23
    westup23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    here the main reasons that kids are obese

1. There shelter in the house all day (when I was a kid we was out from sun up to sun down playing sports) now you keep your kids outside someone could take them from you

2. There cutting out p.e. out of schools

3. More fast food when I was younger we had more home cooked meals and less fast food
    So yes I think we have a problem with kids overweight
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    child protective services should get involved with obese children. let doctors and schools report them.

Better warn all my friends - what about children who are seriously underweight?

of course! when we see underweight animals on tv are we glad when the SPCA steps in to help?

all of your friends have obese and underweight children? thats horrible.

Yes I have had two children who are underweight. One was at the dietician at 18 months and now going down the route as being diagnosed with Autism. My other child had an undiagnosed dairy intolerance.

I have many friends who have severely underweight children, many who have ASD, and have sensory issues around eating. These kids are usually under medical supervision because they do not eat. You can give a child food but you cant force them to eat ( THAT is child Abuse).
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I quote Michael Scott "I don't get why parents are always complaining about how tough it is to raise kids. I joke around with them, you give them pizza, you give them candy, you let them live their lives. They're adults, for Godssake.

I don't have any kids or anything useful to add, but I'm sure someone is going to take this quote the wrong way and that's hilarious.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Wow, I am *totally* jealous that you can walk around without thinking anything about your surroundings. Have fun getting robbed/raped/ripped off because of your inability to judge a situation not being right.

NOW THAT IS A LITTLE EXTREME THERE, DON'T YOU THINK?
    [/quote]

Let me remind you that you were the one that clicked on this thread, read all of the replies, and then told everyone how terrible they were for having a thought in their head. Seeing an obese tried strikes a severe emotion in a normal person. That emotion drives people to want to discuss it. That's all that's going on here as far as I can tell.

We're not talking about getting a coalition together and confronting parents of obese children, here. It's just a discussion. People are *so* high and mighty on the internet!
    [/quote]

Why yes. Yes you are.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I was an overweight child because I was unhappy and I used to steal food!

My son now sixteen has Aspergers, he was overweight, should I be ashamed of myself? No I was trying everything I could do to encourage him. Because of his Aspergers I need to talk to him in a very direct manner. I sat him down, he was 14 at the time. I told him if he didn't lose weight he would get diabetes and he would die you. Harsh yes but that's how you talk to them! I took all junk food out of the house and told him I wouldn't ban any foods but if he wanted any junk food he would have to walk and get some, and go on the trampoline for half an hour! He was 11 st

He is now 9 stone and on the average centile!

Sometimes it isn't the parents fault, yes they could do more to educate and be a good example.

I have realised that Luke works with routines and if he has breakfast and there is nothing planned for the morning he immediately starts asking about lunch. It is because of the lack of structure in his day he starts looking toward the next thing in the day he knows will happen which will be the next meal. So now if he asks about food I give him things to do. Some days he's got to the afternoon and realised he skipped breakfast!

As with all thing there are individual circumstances!

Ditto I have one like that and then another who forgets to get hungry.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Since when is it the government's problem (CPS) what we feed our kids? That is just absurd!

when it becomes abuse...just like physical abuse.

or should we just let parents do whatever they want? parent punches his kid...cant get involved!
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    child protective services should get involved with obese children. let doctors and schools report them.

I work in child protection.

Trust me, we have more important things to deal with.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options

thanks for the tip.... it's cute how you think I'm serious.

p.s. my baby is breastfed. But you'll probably find something wrong with that too.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I quote Michael Scott "I don't get why parents are always complaining about how tough it is to raise kids. I joke around with them, you give them pizza, you give them candy, you let them live their lives. They're adults, for Godssake.

I don't have any kids or anything useful to add, but I'm sure someone is going to take this quote the wrong way and that's hilarious.

Hahahahaha! A Michael Scott quote is welcome ***and applicable*** to every situation. It's a rule (thought everyone knew?).
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options

p.s. my baby is breastfed. But you'll probably find something wrong with that too.

Your daughter is gorgeous by the way.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Oh I didn't doubt this for a second.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options

I work in child protection.

Trust me, we have more important things to deal with.

I agree that it shouldnt go to child protection because there are worse things going on with kids these days but I do think parents should look at their parenting and educate themselves. Maybe schools should provide education to parents?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Yes I have had two children who are underweight. One was at the dietician at 18 months and now going down the route as being diagnosed with Autism. My other child had an undiagnosed dairy intolerance.

I have many friends who have severely underweight children, many who have ASD, and have sensory issues around eating. These kids are usually under medical supervision because they do not eat. You can give a child food but you cant force them to eat ( THAT is child Abuse).

i am certainly not including these types of things in what im saying.

i am talking about healthy kids who are being neglected not kids with ailments like you are talking about.

if we found out someone wasnt feeding their children enough and that kid was underweight wouldnt you want someone to step in and help that child?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I do notice that more children are obese than there used to be. But it can be for various reasons - some children are obese because of medication, others because of a disability. I don't think I personally know any children who are obese from simply overeating, although of course that happens, and is getting more common. But because the obese children I know are obese for other reasons, I guess when I see obese children I'm very aware of a variety of potential reasons for it.