Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Depriving yourself of diet coke.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Honestly....I think the only difference is diet uses no calorie sweeteners like Equal or NutraSweet. Regular soda uses regular sugar.

Studies have shown that when you eat a low-calorie food that tastes like it has a lot of calories, the body ends up craving what it hasn't received, so your appetite may be stimulated, and cause you to eat more. So indirectly it could cause weight gain I guess if you want to justify it that way.

What studies?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Honestly....I think the only difference is diet uses no calorie sweeteners like Equal or NutraSweet. Regular soda uses regular sugar.

Studies have shown that when you eat a low-calorie food that tastes like it has a lot of calories, the body ends up craving what it hasn't received, so your appetite may be stimulated, and cause you to eat more. So indirectly it could cause weight gain I guess if you want to justify it that way.

Links to studies?
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I switched to diet Mountain Dew because it's cheaper here. There's a benefit. :)
  • Netterz0087
    Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Links to studies?

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2008a/080211SwithersAPA.html

and

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2008/02/sweeteners.aspx
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i love coke zero and diet coke, i have cut down on them and drink more water.. but.... will not stop drinking them
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do it!

Diet soda is full of chemicals. I decided to give it up when I realized it was only people like me (overweight) were drinking it.

Been diet soda freeeeeeeeeeeee since March.
  • HazelCaz
    HazelCaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is a HUGE vice for me. I have tried to quit without much success. I drink at least 6 cans of Diet Coke a day and have for years. I'm wondering what kind of scary long term effects Nutrisweet is going to have. I know water is better, but I can really use the caffeine in the morning and am not a coffee drinker in the summer. Also....water is boring. Juice is too high in sugar and carbs to be able to drink it in any quantity.
    I just need a great alternative.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Links to studies?

and

A press release does not constitute a study. Likewise, citing a single study proves nothing.

Most of these studies use a methodology known as Ames testing. Given your reliance on Google (and the internet is full of FUD), it is unlikely you know who Dr. Bruce Ames is, much less that he has repudiated both the methodolgy as faulty, and the uses to which it has been put.
  • Netterz0087
    Options

Links to studies?

and

A press release does not constitute a study. Likewise, citing a single study proves nothing.

Most of these studies use a methodology known as Ames testing. Given your reliance on Google (and the internet is full of FUD), it is unlikely you know who Dr. Bruce Ames is, much less that he has repudiated both the methodolgy as faulty, and the uses to which it has been put.

So where would you receive your studies stating the healthiness or unhealthiness of something? Just curious. So for the future I know where to get my research from instead of a College Website.
  • drmerc
    Options

Links to studies?

and

So where would you receive your studies stating the healthiness or unhealthiness of something? Just curious. So for the future I know where to get my research from instead of a College Website.

Couldn't find your actual study just some article

Here is a real study
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2178391?dopt=Abstract
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I find I feel less gassy/bloated when I limit carbonated beverages in general, so I limit my diet cokes :-)
  • taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I dropped Diet Coke in May, and I feel much better! Now, I am soda free. I don't even want soda at all. Also, my weight loss picked up after I kicked the habit. Artificial sugars do make you crave more sugar.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    A press release may not be a study but there will be SOURCES. I refuse to provide links on MFP anymore. I've done thousands of hours of research into nutrition and health issues. People are capable of doing their own research and coming to their own conclusions. I provide my opinion only, and people are free to take it or leave it. No argument required. If a person loves diet pop and will never give it up, that's their business. When people come on here asking for help, there are always those that try discredit good advice. I don't get it. :huh:
  • canadianbugga
    canadianbugga Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke, or diet pepsi every weekend. Probably 1 or 2 Litres a week, which is a lot less than before. Eventually I will give it up, but right now it's my vice.
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    A press release may not be a study but there will be SOURCES. I refuse to provide links on MFP anymore. I've done thousands of hours of research into nutrition and health issues. People are capable of doing their own research and coming to their own conclusions. I provide my opinion only, and people are free to take it or leave it. No argument required. If a person loves diet pop and will never give it up, that's their business. When people come on here asking for help, there are always those that try discredit good advice. I don't get it. :huh:

Thanks for this! I wasn't aware it was that crazy on here about studies and sources! This is my first day on here, I'm not going to lie, I was kind of taken aback by it, why try to tear down another person when they're only trying to help. But oh well :) Love this post!
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/11/10626512-5-great-reasons-to-kick-your-soda-habit?lite

Check this out, they claim to have researched the effects (but it's the internet so who knows how verified this is!) Hope this helps :)
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Somebody once told me (or I read somewhere) that the carbonation in all 'fizzy' drinks contributes to calcium breakdown in your body. I don't drink milk so I can't afford to lose calcium if it's true! And I prefer not to add the extra sugar and chemicals.

But I still love a good root beer now and then!
  • drmerc
    Options

Thanks for this! I wasn't aware it was that crazy on here about studies and sources! This is my first day on here, I'm not going to lie, I was kind of taken aback by it, why try to tear down another person when they're only trying to help. But oh well :) Love this post!

No one is trying to tear you down, don't take it so personal its just the internet
    But people are trying to stop the flow of misinformation
  • JCasison
    JCasison Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke has a sugar substitute, 'aspartame'. Some say aspartame causes cancer but no scientific research has proved it. If you're interested in some potential adverse effects of diet coke in the event it is a part of your "DAILY" ingestion, see below:

http://www.sweetpoison.com/articles/0706/aspartame_symptoms_submit.html

Some of the 92 long-term and immediate adverse effects of aspartame ingestion are:

Abdominal Pain
    Anxiety attacks
    Arthritis
    Asthma
    Asthmatic Reactions
    Bloating, Edema (Fluid Retention)
    Blood Sugar Control Problems (Hypoglycemia or Hyperglycemia)
    Brain Cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals)
    Breathing difficulties
    Burning eyes or throat
    Burning Urination
    Can't think straight
    Chest Pains
    Chronic cough
    Chronic Fatigue
    Confusion
    Death
    Depression
    Diarrhea
    Dizziness
    Excessive Thirst or Hunger
    Fatigue
    Feel unreal
    Flushing of face
    Hair Loss (Baldness) or Thinning of Hair
    Headaches/Migraines dizziness
    Hearing Loss
    Heart palpitations
    Hives (Urticaria)
    Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
    Hysterical pregnancy
    Impotency and Sexual Problems
    Inability to concentrate
    Infection Susceptibility
    Insomnia
    Irritability
    Itching
    Joint Pains
    Laryngitis
    "Like thinking in a fog"
    Marked Personality Changes
    Memory loss
    Menstrual Problems or Changes
    Migraines and Severe Headaches (Trigger or Cause From Chronic Intake)
    Muscle spasms
    Nausea or Vomiting
    Numbness or Tingling of Extremities
    Other Allergic-Like Reactions
    Panic Attacks
    Phobias
    Poor memory
    Rapid Heart Beat
    Rashes
    Seizures and Convulsions
    Slurring of Speech
    Swallowing Pain