Options

Replies

• skittlelife1
    Options
    Run at night!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone has said this already, but have you considered an eliptical machine? It's very similar to a running motion without any impact at all.

Kills my knees.... :-)
  • mkm9279
    mkm9279 Posts: 44
    Options
    You have truly lost a lot of weight and I am so inspired that you are so committed! I ran once a few weeks ago and was surprised how long I lasted! I have been working out to turbo fire and I think that high intensity cardio has really helped me! If walking is working walk a few minutes then jog a few minutes, even of your jog is just walking really fast! I know you can do it! Good luck Hun!!!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You are roughly the same size I am and I run! I see women larger than me rocking the treadmill at the gym. You aren't too fat! Start slow and work your way up. I'm using the Couch to 5K plan right now.

Congrats on everything you've achieved so far :D
  • DangerDiv
    Options
    you might wanna start on a treadmill. walk first, of course. i figure a treadmill might give you an easier ability to gauge how fast you can go without the pains of bouncing as well as you won't need a partner. though, honestly, i prefer working out alone, 'cos I don't need some idiot blabbing in my ear the whole time.

but yeah, with me, when i was going from walking to running it wasn't easy. I was about 185 lbs. it took some months, but before I knew it I was running for several miles straight. every week, hell, every day, make sure you run for more time than the day before. even if it's just 1 extra minute you go. or even just 15 extra seconds. that's the beauty of running: every day you're pushing yourself to go longer or faster.

hope all this helps. <3
  • tdfowler12
    Options
    I would love to run as well but with over 100 pound still to loose I can't do it either. I have been walking and continue to lose weight. I have just purchased an Elliptical Trainer and let me tell you it really works. I was able to walk for 30 minutes with no problem however, I only got 20 minutes on the Elliptical Trainer and thought I was dying when I got off.
  • donkraft
    donkraft Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Determination far out lasts motivation. Be determined to run not motivated. Start out slow and small and build on that. That means start with a walking program. Walk an extra minute every day three times a week until you reach 60 minutes. Then do the couch to 5 k program. Be determined to finish it even if you have to start over or go back a week in it. Finish it. Run a 5k. Start the 10 k trainer with the same determination you had with the 5k program.
  • Aniseedvan
    Aniseedvan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, my knees hate it and I am about 25lbs overweight, but I just wanted to say your weight loss is inspirational!

I personally am a fan of fast walking, despite being a little 5'2" I can do 3.5 miles in my lunch hour, which is enough to get the heart raised sufficiently for fat burning. I hear you regards safety though. I try to go out with a co-worker who walks at a similar pace but he's not in the office much and I the areas near my work aren't the nicest so I have to be careful.

Whatever you decide you might find it useful to get a heart rate monitor, as this will keep in check whether you're overdoing it or not.

Best of luck on your continued journey, what a great job!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    No one is ever to fat to run....start off walking while working in alittle jogging...you will soon be jogging then even running, start off small then work to bigger goals!!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    You're not too fat. I'm still VERY overweight- and every part of me jiggles when I run....but I still do it. Just start out small- and work your way up :) you'll get there!
  • EmmaPalleja
    Options
    i just ran my first full mile today at 174 without stopping. i jiggled and felt like i was going to die but i did it! you can too!!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Your desire to run is great! If you want to do it, then try it. There is a great article right now on CNN's website about a guy who lost a ton of weight and went from not running to a 5k and all the way up to marathon. Some ways to get started.

1) If you are at a pool, does that mean you have a gym membership? Check to see if there is a running group or a trainer that can get you started.
    2) When you get running shoes ask about groups that are training for specific races. Check them out. I was in a running club that had a group called "I just want to run the whole way and finish". Also sometimes running stores have beginning running groups that you can try.
    3) If there is a big race in your area, go to their website. They might have links to local training groups. You don't have to train for the race but you can contact the group and possibly get a trainer or ask about a group that could get you started.
    4) If you don't feel like joining a training group, google run/walk training or the Couch to 5K training. I have seen nothing but good reviews of the Couch to 5K training and I think it is free.

Do it! I've been running for 15+ years now and I think it is what makes me happy.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have difficulties running due to bad knees and a prior calf injury that never healed quite right.

There are tons of things you can do to get that heart rate up.

1. Elliptical
    2. Walk
    3. Swim
    4. My gym has these machines that mimic the movement of roller blading, have no idea what they are called but they don't hurt my knees.
    5. Intervals - jog for a minute/walk for a minute

If you really want to do it, you can.
  • cloudyblue98
    cloudyblue98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am totally impressed that you have accomplished so much. That is so awesome! Motivates me and it seems like not much does, but you did it, girl! Thanks!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all of the responses, but I think I'm at the same current weight as you, and just yesterday I jogged for 1.25 miles. I started with the couch 2 5 k running plan, but haven't followed it completely. It does work, though, and I've worked my endurance for jogging up by doing a lot of high intensity hills and such while I'm walking. When I first started walking, 3mph was uncomfortable for me, but now I generally walk at about 3.7 to 3.9, even with big hills thrown in.

For keeping the girls in place, I would wear a regular bra UNDER your sports bra. That's what's helped me the most. Make sure you have properly fitted stuff, too.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    like you i want to run too but i think i need to hold out for a bit. i'm currently 200lbs. i know people who are my weight can and do run, but it is so hard on the body. running is just plain hard on the body - even when you're fit - much less when you're carrying around a lot of extra weight. you will get great benefit from fast walking. walk for distance (maybe up to 3 miles or so) and for speed (get up to 4mph). let me tell you, you're going to get your HR up doing just that. if you're bored or no longer feel challenged, do the walks on an incline or a hill.

couch 2 5k is a great program and it might be something that you could start but i would go into it expecting to repeat weeks 3 and 4 times. otherwise i think it's just too hard on your body. again, i know lots of people do it, but i'm just not sure it's all that great for you.

walking will give you great benefit. just keep at it.

On what grounds do you feel that this is not 'great for you'? (I ask this as a former C25-er, who's just come home from an 11 mile run, weighing today more than you do.... )

i said it was totally doable and that people do it all the time, but that i think it's hard on your body. when i jog just a short distance and my lower body hurts (i have no prior injury or illness) because i'm hauling around 65 extra lbs, it makes me wonder if i shouldn't hold off on the running just a bit.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    First A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! on all you have accomplished thus far! you are an inspiration! you should be extremely proud of yourself as well.

i'm not really sure what advise i can give you on how to start running. i sorta just started (not just started recently but just started). i was getting bored walking on the treadmill so i decided to bump up my speed until i was "running" (most people at my gym were walking at the speed i was running) AND I lasted 15 seconds!

i started out so slow on the treadmill - i hated when someone was next to me i felt like they were judging me/making fun of me in their mind. for months i would run 1 minute walk 10 run another minute walk 5. over time i increased my the amount of time i was "running" and decreased the amount of time i was walking. after 6 months i was running more often than walking. as crazy as it sounds i used to run/walk to the food network. HA!!!!

oh and while i was never over 200 i was close and i'm not even 5' yet even at that size i was able to run. does it feel better now that i've dropped the weight yes however it didn't stop me it just slowed me down. :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Saw this video sometime last year. Inspires me all over again when I see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9BFx5Mhqo&amp;feature=fvwrel
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    When I started running I kept thinking, I remember in high school when my boobs use to bounce, now I wish that was all that bounced. My butt, my stomach, my chins, everything. Now a year into it everything is much tighter. When I started I used C25K and couldn't finish the first day. I just kept trying and now I am starting B210K. Just keep moving! You can do it! Walk, jog or run! They are all good for you and you will just continue to improve. Good luck!
  • maxroadrash
    maxroadrash Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your progress! You should be VERY proud!
    I didn't read all the other replies so forgive me if I'm repeating what has already been said.
    I would advise you to approach exercise not as a means to lose weight but rather as a means to get fit.
    Think like an athlete! Any athlete's worst fear is injury because getting injured means lost training and lost fitness.
    I noticed that someone posted info about the pounding your joints will take from running and that is absolutely true.
    Keep swimming, keep walking (leave the dog home and take a baseball bat with you). Get on a bike.
    Stationary or a regular bike, it matters not. It's low impact, it's fun and you will RIP through calories!
    When you get to a weight where YOU feel comfortable running, by all means, do so. Don't try to do too much too fast,
    get an injury and the inevitable setback. Swimming, walking, cycling and eventually running. Keep at it and soon
    you'll be focused on your first triathlon.
    All the Best.