What do YOU put in your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is how I put together the oatmeal in the crockpot but there is a lot of leeway if you wanted to change it up.
    I got the basic idea from Allrecipes.com but I have changed it up.

This batch is for about 8 servings. My wife and I eat it all week.
    I use 2 cups of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats.
    3 cups of skim milk, 2 cups of water. I am sure you could go all water here as well.
    I will sometimes dice up 3 apples or add about a cup of applesauce.
    I throw that in the crockpot on low for about 4 to 5 hours until it looks right, still moist but not runny.
    Before I portion it out I add 8 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, I like the Golden one from Bob's Red Mill. Sometimes I will add a little more water or milk if it looks to stiff.
    Then when I take it out of the fridge to go to work I either add honey or peanut butter and microwave at work for a minute and a half.
    The only thing negative about this recipe is the crockpot is a pain to clean afterwards.
    Hope that helps.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zoibas
    zoibas Posts: 31
    Options
    I feel like a pig, I use (in one serving) 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/4 cup crushed walnuts (anti-oxidant) and a teasopoon of honey. 400 calories but I'm not hungry till lunchtime ha ;-)
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    Plain Jane checking in...I eat oatmeal every workday.

I put nothing but a tablespoon of Stevia in...

Sunday Im going to try to make the workweek's worth in the nuker with Almond milk.

when my kids were babes and the oatmeal was too HOT, I'd mix in a lil applesauce or yogurt to cool it off...now 2 of them will not eat it any other way.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Wow! I like all the combinations! Right now (newbie PD) I am still pretty much a T of butter and t of sugar but I am switching to a t of brown sugar and cinnamon to flavor. Down the road I am sure I will venture out and try some of the suggestions found here.
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    brown sugar splenda :)
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Honey or brown sugar. Although I'm as aussie so we have porridge :p
  • KayceRN
    KayceRN Posts: 40
    Options
    I can't use Splenda so I use raw stevia and a spoonful of Wallaby australian yogurt..vanilla flavor.
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love the over night oats i put in tomorrows
    1/4 cup quick oats
    1/4cup greek honey yogurt
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    1/4 cup fresh pineapple
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2drops of vanilla extract
    I put it in a mason jar shake it up and put in fidge yummmmy
  • fishax
    fishax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit water or trim milk or almond milk. No sugar.
  • fishax
    fishax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit water or trim milk or almond milk. No sugar. Sometimes cinnamon
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    So after watching my new favorite Hungry Girl cooking show, I put about 1 cup of organic soy milk or almond milk and then 1/2 a cup of water. Basically letting the oatmeal swell up and in turn doubling it's mass so I don't need as much of it.. Then I add in some fresh apple slices if I have it or dried apple slices and a little cinnamon.

It's super yummy!
    love hungry girl, i put pumpkin in mine. i got that from her cookbook
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was going to reply "1 teaspoon of honey and a small handful of raisins" Then I read everyone else's response and was like wow i'm boring! LOL
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do half a banana (or berries), a scoop of vanilla protein, some pecans, and a little bit of milk. :)
  • heidumhoolah
    Options
    A lot of people on here comment about using egg whites in their porridge/oatmeal...is that instead of milk? Does it not scramble!?
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with water not milk. Anyway, I put in some walnuts, blueberries or dried cranberries and cinnamon. Delicious!!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    So after watching my new favorite Hungry Girl cooking show, I put about 1 cup of organic soy milk or almond milk and then 1/2 a cup of water. Basically letting the oatmeal swell up and in turn doubling it's mass so I don't need as much of it.. Then I add in some fresh apple slices if I have it or dried apple slices and a little cinnamon.

It's super yummy!

I do the same. I buy old fashioned oats and the night before I put a pot on the stove with no fire.
    1/3 cup oats, 1 cup water, and a dash of cinnamon

Then in the morning I cook it for 10 minutes and when it's done I add:
    2 tsp wheat germ
    1/2 scoop protein powder
    1/2 tb agave nectar
    chia seeds (I made into a paste with almond milk)
    top with berries

Keeps me full for a couple hours.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I see Anna800 puts protein powder in her oats. I was wondering if anyone ever put Muscle Milk in their oatmeal and if so, how is it?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Baked Oatmeal or granola is the only way that I'll eat oatmeal.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    crumbled veggie sausage
    raisins