Food Addicts Anonymous??

Options

Replies

• kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Robyn and over the past 2 weeks I have come to realize I am a food addict! Well, that is easy to say anyways! Lately I have been under a little extra stress with full time school (I remember why I said I would never go back but I'm not getting any younger) and my night shifts. Which adds a bit of a trick to eating when I am up all day and up all night, and unfortunately my job is very busy meaning run run run all night so not eating is not an option. And when I am stressed, or tired, or frankly bored I eat. Nothing big at once, but I could eat a bag of doritos nacho cheese or salsa verde in a day or two easy by handfuls at a time. I suppose I should admit that I used to eat "handfuls" of foods that never counted in my calories. For example: a handful of chips, a handful of popcorn, a handful of m&ms....etc. And now that I am counting my calories I realize how many handfuls I really used to eat! Major weaknesses include chocolate anything, salted anything, and coffee.....I love love love the flavored coffee creamer. Anyways, I have switched to green or black tea with lemon and splenda which I will say upfront is nothing like coffee. But it has 0 calories, and it is warm. But I do think that this site is great and that by tracking my foods and exercise I realize how I cope with stress (hello cupcake) and now I suppose it is time to tackle those demons and take charge of my life again! This is one uphill battle I intend to win, 1 day at a time, 1 week at a time, and one day I will wake up and think "that wasn't so hard". My new mantra is "food is fuel, not comfort" as seen in this thread. I am definitely a comfort eater, so I figure I will give this a month long trial and try calling a friend or asking for a hug instead of eating. This is do-able!!!
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    well, i have to say that i love to eat,, but who doesn't it?

that's why i took more than over a month to eat whatever i wanted...
    i went to the pizza place, i went to the mcdonnalds..., i went to eat all kinds of food without a care in the world...
    it was christmas time and the tables were full of good sweetness, i eat to much chocolate that i could... after all it was a special ocasion

the damage? only 2pounds gained something that i was able to quickly mend this last week where i reached a new low in my weight...
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    another pretty good day. alittle out of control but kept myself in line and didn't let the food take total control. Keepiing busy seems to help me with the food. I never eat in the car which is a help when I have to go for a ride to get away from the frig. :laugh:
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I just spent the past four days feeding three of my son's college friends. The boys had never been to No. Cal. before this trip. We fed them well....too well as my weight is up 3 lbs. I am not upset as I truly enjoyed having the boys here. They were such nice kids. I will be back on track tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well in the quests for better health in 2010. I also bought the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred on Tuesday...the dvd will be opened tomorrow!!!
  • kvang9
    kvang9 Posts: 9
    Options
    Haha...wow, I just got done telling my wife that food is like an addiction. It's horrible! It's so hard to control myself whenit comes to tasty foods.
    At least the food counter on this site helps me know how much I'm eating. Like any addiction, food portion control will have to be treated like any addiction. I'll have to continue to manage what I eat for the rest of my life...
  • emoodze
    emoodze Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sunsh1ne and zorahope,
    Thanks for your congrats and for the tips. I will continue to work on it. It's so nice to not feel alone in this.
    Happy weekend to you all.
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Being a food addict is the hardest thing to overcome. Food is everywhere and someone is always eating. Fighting the urge to over eat and later asking yourself why you did it is something I have yet to figure out.

The potato chips free fall from the bag right into my hands. The salted nuts seem to stick to my palms and I don't know how they get there. Siting and watching others snack has got to be the activity that puts me over the top. Being the observer is so boring, it's like being on the outside and watching all your friends having a good time. Who doesn't want to belong?

The true challange is convincing yourself that you can overcome the addiction and that you're truly worth the effort. How does one do that while feeling overwhelmed and alone?:frown: How do you turn a deaf ear to those lucious foods that know your name and constantly call to you?

Although simply talking about it doesn't rid us of the addiction ,coming here and being totally honest with yourself and others is key. My first post to this board happened just a few days ago. I have reread it several times and that has helped me start to understand things about myself. The support here is truly heartwarming. It does help to know you're not alone, that others actually do know how we feel. I don't think the addiction ever "goes away", I think we learn how to live with it and accept the fact that we're human.

I'm trying to develope a better relationship with the scale;I'm working on not viewing it as the enemy. I have many,many things to work on - one at a time. Later I will learn to share my feelings with my family but for now I am thankful and appreciative for all of you. Have a great Sunday.

Be blessed,
    Mary
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I used to always wonder how people can be alcoholics, drug addicts or addicted to smoking, I could go out on weekends and have some drinks and maybe even a smoke once in awhile, but I was always able to turn it down when I wanted. Why can't they just stop? But then I realized that I AM an addict myself; to food! I can't stop over-eating.
    I suppose each of us has our own vices in one form or another, whether it be booze, drugs, cigarettes, or food; all dangerous to us in some way, especially when abused. And I'm afraid I have abused my body with too much and often terribly unhealthy food. I now realize how people struggle with addictions, it just never dawned on me that I AM one of
    'those people" with an addiction, and it's never easy to pass up your addiction, no matter what that might be.
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Yes, sr, it's true. Unfortunately most do not recognize food as an addiction. But we can do this! We can conquer the beast!
  • The_BoSS
    Options
    hi everyone! i'm a food addict too... every part of my life, every single moment even every single minute is connected to food. i loved food but now i reached 108 kg and i feel awful. i lived to eat. this period i'm taking exams and yesterday i ate soo much and after this, i felt very bad for my self. Today when i wake up i thought that this situation must not continue. i feel so sick and tired of these large amounts that i have eaten during my whole life..this addiction to food didn't started now but this addiction had controlled my whole life... now it's about time to change.. we have to think more about diet and not about nutrition...so my moto is "i have a dream and certainly doesn't contain food"..
    guys we have to keep trying cuz our life isn't food but healthy moments of joy and happiness :-)
  • rjpetty04
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My name is Jeanne and I am a food addict.

Somedays I don't feel like eating but others I can eat and eat and eat...all the bad things too. I have even bought candy bars and eaten them before I got home because I didn't want my husband to know about it...it is aweful.

It is really hard because my family and my husband's family puts a focus on food. Everytime we get together we have to eat. Something that concerns me is that his parents are starting to really focus on that with our son who is 7 months old. We are working to make sure that we don't overfeed him and give him bad habits. However, anytime we go to his parents his dad wants to feed our son something he shouldn't have like a sucker or candy cane. I know every now and again it is ok to let him suck on one but if his dad does that stuff then we don't get to and he is our first baby so we want to experience those things. But my real concern is that I don't want our son to associate grandpa and grandma with food. I want him to want to see them not go to get candy...
  • richardsrm
    Options
    ok fellow foodies:smile: It is sunday a classic day for me to overeat........I challenge myself to remember what my dream is
    "to eat to live" like "normal " people:smile::smile: Oh baby it is going to be a long day 20 degrees, housework to get done, and home alone!!!!:sad: I can do it:flowerforyou:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    The potato chips free fall from the bag right into my hands. The salted nuts seem to stick to my palms and I don't know how they get there. Siting and watching others snack has got to be the activity that puts me over the top. Being the observer is so boring, it's like being on the outside and watching all your friends having a good time. Who doesn't want to belong?

It's funny you should mention this. I was just reading about a study in which researchers found that when you are out eating with friends and you watch their food choices, the part of your brain responsible for making your own decisions isn't active. Instead, it's the occipital lobe - the visual part. When you watch someone else eat, your brain is processing the visual input and matching it up with remembered sensory input, like the feel of a huge burger in your hand or the taste and crunch of potato chips. Basically, after that point your brain is making food choices like a teenager makes life choices. The takeaway from the article I was reading (this month's Women's Health if you're interested) was that you can work to make independent choices, like if you're at a sit-down restaurant, order first, or if you have a dinner group, offer to cook more often so you can plan healthy meals. Another is to involve your friends in what's going on: let them know you're trying to make better choices about what you eat, and that you need a little grassroots support to make the change stick.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Ugh, weigh-in this morning and I gained two pounds. =P I'm blaming the scale at my boyfriend's house, I think it lowballed me last week.
  • pixiech1ck
    Options
    I'm definitely a food addict. I always have been, during my childhood I was rewarded with food, I was scolded with food, food was everything. My grandmother who watched me used to take me out to eat--and let me gorge on whatever I wanted (as young as 4 years old) and then make a game out of it, don't tell mommy or daddy we went to wendy's today! etc.

As I've gotten older, food makes me happy. I look forward to meals, I get excited when I know I'm going out to eat, I think about food way too much. I watch Food Network constantly and I love cooking and baking, and it's caused me so much heartache throughout life.

Food should just give you energy throughout the day, not be your go-to-friend 24/7/365 when you're bored/sad/mad/happy/etc.

Trying to change my thoughts on food and the reasons I'm eating, and to make healthier choices.
  • richardsrm
    Options
    fear is about to consume me................I have to buy a new scale............mfp blogs tell me to hang on cause it will probably make me lots heavier then the old one I have. I am going for the digital one. My goodness............I can't believe how scared I am to get in the car and get one..............makes me want to open the frig and calm my fear down............no no no I will get myself together and do the nasty deed:smile: shop for a scale:sick: May your spirit be with me when I step on:flowerforyou:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    You can do it, Richie! The difference will probably only be 2-3 pounds, unless your scale is REALLY old.
  • emoodze
    emoodze Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How do all of you deal with comments and "encouragement" from your partners and spouses? For instance, this evening I was feeling pretty good about not succumbing to all the cravings I had this afternoon for sweets and junk food, and I mentioned to my husband that I was hungry for dinner. He said to me, "Didn't I hear dishes a few moments ago when I was in the shower?" We got into an argument because I am so sensitive about any comment regarding my eating and weight that I interpreted his comment to mean he was policing me. Yes, he had heard dishes but I was simply putting glasses in the dishwasher that had been on the coffee table. The shower is clear at the other end of the house. He would have had to listen hard to hear this. And this is the second time he'd made that comment in a week. (In both cases I had not been eating.)

I know he means the absolute best for me and wants me to be around for a long time. But my instinct is to bite his head off and tell him to quit being my mother. Do any of you experience this urge to fight back, almost to the point of being mean? And if so, how do you deal with it?

I'm trying to stay positive about my success this week, but at this moment, I'm feeling hurt and confused. He wants to help, and I don't know how he can if I keep reacting this way. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Richie - my prayers are with you as you buy the scale! :flowerforyou: Just remember - no matter where you are, there you are. Take it and run with it, my friend! You are doing great!

emoodze - I know exactly how you feel about the comments. I think part of it is his insecurity as to how to "help" you. You just need to sit down with him and tell him exactly what you told us - how it makes you feel, how you don't want to respond rudely but how it tempts you to, etc. I also found with my husband (but this doesn't necessarily mean you have this issue) that it was a control thing. It was his way of controlling something that felt out of control for him. I hated it - it made me eat more out of spite. Don't get to that point - talk to him openly and honestly.

Had dinner at my neighbor's tonight. She told me she really cooked healthy for me. Yay! Everything was great until she pulled out the GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE for dessert. What part of GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE says healthy? LOL I ate a few bites to be nice (plus I planned my cals for it) and left the rest! :happy:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    I had a similar issue with my boyfriend - I'd be good all day, and I'd go for a treat (around Christmas, mind you, so they were EVERYWHERE all the time) and he'd scold me for snacking because that's a big issue for me. We worked it out. I told him that I really appreciate having him in my corner, but I need someone to support me, not police me, and for me that means someone to cheer me on when I'm having a good day, cheer me up when I'm having a bad day, and not pass judgement on me either way. I explained it to him that if the changes to my diet aren't coming from me, they're not going to stick. Now he doesn't mention snacking at all, because he knows that when he mentions that I haven't snacked all day before we're going to bed, I'll probably start fixating on that and cave. Good luck - it's tricky but it's a discussion worth having.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!