Married guys who lift weights at the gym...

Options

Replies

• dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I always wear mine. I bought it for $10 and never take it off. It's steal. I also have a callous on my hand below it but am not worried about it.

I honestly havent taken it off since marrying my wife. She is the love of my life and everytime I look at it I get more determined to be the perfect man she deserves.

I can't wait to have it resized.
  • greenbox06
    greenbox06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to wear my ring for 4 years now. I have been too fat and it is a titanium ring so no re-sizing. My wife and I don't put too much into a ring. It's just a material thing that lets everyone else know that you are married. But if you are faithful than you don't really need to let anyone know. :smile:
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I used to wear mine until it started scratching it, so I started taking it off. It was also uncomfortable with all the bar work that I do. It is also a little different because everyone at my box knows me and my wife so no one thinks I am single because I don't wear a ring.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I take my ring off. Gold is a soft metal, and a barbell would damage the hell out of it. Wearing rings also screws with your grip strength for some reason on deadlifts / rows.
  • NaomiDollar
    NaomiDollar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not a guy but I don't wear mine, nor does my hubby. I find that is makes huge callous on my hand.
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't. It hurts when I wear it, plus it bends the gold. It's a bit dangerous to wear it while lifting.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm married, don't wear mine. Not a ring wearer and I don't like scratching it up at the gym.

My hubby doesn't wear his either. We don't care. If we have to wear them and that makes us "married" then I fail. I don't flirt, and I dont' care. We trust each other.
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do, but I have quite a callous just below it on my hand. It occasionally pinches too. I'm not worried about scratches, it's Tungsten Carbide. It probably scratches the bar!

JM

I do as well, but this post has made me reconsider. I have one nasty callous on my hand and it is right below my ring... I guess that solves that problem.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I wore a ring once during dead lifts, it ended up as an oval. Rings are bad when grip is important. Just put it on a chain or something.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    i have a simple ring so my gloves cover it up so it won't get scratched.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    my husband doesn't go to the gym anymore (shame on him lol) but when he did he always removed his ring because it would get damaged or be uncomfortable.
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know this is for guys, but I've never taken my ring off since I got married. I've never had a problem with it- it's not damaged and looks brand new. I don't mind if it gets tight when it's hot and my fingers swell, because when I cool off it goes back down. My ring is pretty big and I have 3 rings to my set and they interlock.
  • sirisaac87
    Options
    No I dont wear my ring in the gym ... dont want to risk damaging it .. but I wear gloves so you cant tell I dont have a ring on
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I forgot to take mine off today, and regretted it. My hands always swell slightly when I lift, and it was very uncomfortable.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I lift heavy.. and I keep my ring on. Of course, it's a simple gold band. I even keep it on to do deadlifts, so if there's an excuse others give for the ring pinching them, etc, it's not true. Or why are you at the gym if you can't take a tiny pinch on the palm?

Well okay, I do like this post :smile:
    I'm not a guy, but I only take my ring off when I'm cooking, showering, or washing dishes. It doesn't pinch or bother me at all when I lift weights. I don't go to the gym, but I do lift! My hubby does not workout, so no worries there :tongue:.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The ring stays on. My testicles remain in the box in the nightstand as well.

LOLOL
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. Not a man but..

I used to forget to take off my rings when doing kettlebells at home, not a good idea.

When I was doing heavy lifting at a gym on a regular basis, I stopped wearing my wedding ring. I had also lost weight so that my rings fell off easily. I gained a little weight back and stopped going to the gym (for various reasons, injuries plus it wasn't the right place for me), so then I started wearing my rings again. Now I've rejoined a gym and I'm guessing I'll stop wearing my rings again. Basically, I don't want to take them to the gym with me, I forget to put them back on and if I'm going daily, by the time I remember I don't have them on, it'll be time to take them off again.

I'm not worried about someone thinking I'm single and I'm probably less likely to get hit on if I'm single (because apparently married men who know I'm married have been my biggest issue).
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wear mine, but it hurts and I don't like it. I am just afraid of losing it. The only time I take mine off is when I am doing electrical work, and then it is in my pants pocket until I am finished.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't see any jewelry when i work out, but I rarely look for it, so I could be off base. If I had a wedding or other ring I wore regularly, I'd take it off for fear of loosing it.

For years I worked in the automotive industry and most of the techs took their rings off to work. Either to keep them from being damaged, lost or otherwise. There was also a fear of it touching something electrical while it was being worn.

Wedding rings are symbols of what you have. Taking it off won't lessen your relationships. :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Mine is a family heirloom, due to the cut of the diamond that they don't do anymore, my husband had a hard enough time just to get a jeweler to fix the bottom part of the band.

One wrong move of killing your finger and they have to cut it off. I wear a fake ring on vacation.
    Accidents happen! For awhile my husband didn't quite understand until I all but broke a finger during volleyball and it swelled up pretty badly.

*kitten* happens, why take a chance? It's just a gym... not sure about most women,but when I go to a gym, I'm not scoping out the guys and it doesn't seem they guys are either. They're all concentrating.