Got Milk?! Recovery Benefits of Milk

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I am at least 150 pounds overweight, and even I know that 40oz of milk a day is why you are still fat. Are you stupid or what?:laugh:

Bless your heart...maybe you don't know any better.
    Show some respect. Sara is highly respected here.
    She has great knowledge and should not be talked to this way.

You make yourself look ignorant!
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    other non dairy types of milk are better for you, such as soy base, almond/cashew milk and the like.

Now I don't really want to get in to a "better for you" discussion about different types of milk- but I think in the context of recovery drinks, the nut milks have really low protein compared to dairy milk so I highly doubt they're comparable for this context. Soy milk might be a bit better- I would have to look in to it.

Soy milk is a good option if you have a dairy allergy, but soy is full of pseudoestrogen and can throw off your hormonal balance so it's best not to consume too too much of it. Non-organic cow milk can also have a lot of wierd hormone stuff in it too so IDK, I feel like organic milk is probably the best bet. Or goat's milk.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Read the guy's profile, the whole thing is a lame attempt at humour. Some people clearly have nothing better to do with their time.

Hence some people deserve being reported. :angry:
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us/07fat.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

November 6, 2010
    While Warning About Fat, U.S. Pushes Cheese Sales
    By MICHAEL MOSS
    Dairy Management, whose annual budget approaches $140 million, is largely financed by a government-mandated fee on the dairy industry. But it also receives several million dollars a year from the Agriculture Department, which appoints some of its board members, approves its marketing campaigns and major contracts and periodically reports to Congress on its work.

The organization’s activities, revealed through interviews and records, provide a stark example of inherent conflicts in the Agriculture Department’s historical roles as both marketer of agriculture products and America’s nutrition police.

In one instance, Dairy Management spent millions of dollars on research to support a national advertising campaign promoting the notion that people could lose weight by consuming more dairy products, records and interviews show. The campaign went on for four years, ending in 2007, even though other researchers — one paid by Dairy Management itself — found no such weight-loss benefits.

When the campaign was challenged as false, government lawyers defended it, saying the Agriculture Department “reviewed, approved and continually oversaw” the effort.

Dr. Walter C. Willett, chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health and a former member of the federal government’s nutrition advisory committee, said: “The U.S.D.A. should not be involved in these programs that are promoting foods that we are consuming too much of already. A small amount of good-flavored cheese can be compatible with a healthy diet, but consumption in the U.S. is enormous and way beyond what is optimally healthy.”

The Agriculture Department declined to make top officials available for interviews for this article, and Dairy Management would not comment. In answering written questions, the department said that dairy promotion was intended to bolster farmers and rural economies, and that its oversight left Dairy Management’s board with “significant independence” in deciding how best to support those interests.

see the link at the top for the rest of the article

Keep in mind that a lot of these milk and dairy studies are NOT supported under scientific scrutiny. The dairy industry is a major political machine. Ads that say milk does a body good and got milk are PAID for by the industry that would be supported by purchase of dairy products. The whole concept that milk supports weight loss has been debunked by repeat studies and not supported once. If you are drinking the milk and not losing, and have aches and pains and allergies and mucous issues, ....try stopping and see how it makes you feel. If you feel better without dairy, then reconsider these 'studies' that tell you to drink it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am at least 150 pounds overweight, and even I know that 40oz of milk a day is why you are still fat. Are you stupid or what?:laugh:

Really? This is what you had to add? Classy
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us/07fat.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

Keep in mind that a lot of these milk and dairy studies are NOT supported under scientific scrutiny. The dairy industry is a major political machine. Ads that say milk does a body good and got milk are PAID for by the industry that would be supported by purchase of dairy products. The whole concept that milk supports weight loss has been debunked by repeat studies and not supported once. If you are drinking the milk and not losing, and have aches and pains and allergies and mucous issues, ....try stopping and see how it makes you feel. If you feel better without dairy, then reconsider these 'studies' that tell you to drink it.

First off, I didn't post anything about weight loss benefits of milk- this is about milk being an appropriate recovery drink after resistance training. Secondly- to say that there are no supported studies that milk is good for you, I would refer you to the original post in this thread. Its pretty non-controversial.

Get off your high horse- nobody is forcing you to drink milk, do whatever you'd like.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    other non dairy types of milk are better for you, such as soy base, almond/cashew milk and the like.

orlly?
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Now I don't really want to get in to a "better for you" discussion about different types of milk- but I think in the context of recovery drinks, the nut milks have really low protein compared to dairy milk so I highly doubt they're comparable for this context. Soy milk might be a bit better- I would have to look in to it.

Soy milk is a good option if you have a dairy allergy, but soy is full of pseudoestrogen and can throw off your hormonal balance so it's best not to consume too too much of it. Non-organic cow milk can also have a lot of wierd hormone stuff in it too so IDK, I feel like organic milk is probably the best bet. Or goat's milk.
    I stay away from soy milk too because I have a thyroid issue and as a vegetarian already get more than my fair share of soy.

Question- if people have dairy intolerances can they drink sheep's milk or goats milk?
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

For recovery? Not. Maybe for cutting calories...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I still hate milk.

But if I *did* start drinking it, I think I'd skip the pasteurized stuff and drink raw milk instead.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

I stay away from soy milk too because I have a thyroid issue and as a vegetarian already get more than my fair share of soy.

Question- if people have dairy intolerances can they drink sheep's milk or goats milk?

Many can. When I was younger I had some lactose intolerance and my mom used to give me goat milk instead.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I had an orthodontist reject my son for potential treatment because I "admitted" that we drink milk in our home. He had some crazy cult-level of belief that milk is deadly poison. He had written a book on it that he wanted us to purchase. :huh:

I left his office shaking my head, and we found another doc to do my kid's braces.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Awesome info. After my C25K running session in the morning I have been drinking a glass of Milk with Ovaltine mixed in...great stuff.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Oh look, "recovery" happens in a 5 hour period after you lift.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I had an orthodontist reject my son for potential treatment because I "admitted" that we drink milk in our home. He had some crazy cult-level of belief that milk is deadly poison. He had written a book on it that he wanted us to purchase. :huh:

I left his office shaking my head, and we found another doc to do my kid's braces.
    WOW. Good thing you found that out before letting that nutcase work on your kid, right?!

Maybe he has long term pocket lining goals in mind for when inadequate calcium affects the teeth!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Oh look, "recovery" happens in a 5 hour period after you lift.

Good catch. I missed this snippet of broscience-influence when I skimmed the summary.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

WOW. Good thing you found that out before letting that nutcase work on your kid, right?!

Maybe he has long term pocket lining goals in mind for when inadequate calcium affects the teeth!

Agree on the nutcase part, but not on the calcium angle. I don't think it's necessary to drink milk for adequate dietary calcium.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    Yet another reason I refuse to stop drinking my delicious milk.

IT DOES A BODY GOOD!!!!

PASS IT ON!!!!
  • msbobbitx
    msbobbitx Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My trainer says low fat chocolate milk is best.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

-_- I think you dodged a bullet there, braces are hard enough without having to see a crazy person to get them tuned every month.

PS: I am lactose intolerant, so, very limited milk for me. but my understanding is that its not because milk is MAGIC for recovery, its just a nice mixture of protein/fat/carbs that works well for recovery.