Got Milk?! Recovery Benefits of Milk

Options

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It is unnatural to drink the milk of another animal. We're the only animal on earth to drink the milk of another species. Think about it! When you're thirsty you don't look at a woman's breasts and go, 'mmm, I'm thirsty!' :laugh: Milk is meant for growing babies...cow milk is designed help a cow quadruple its weight in a short period of time...not to mention all the growth hormones & pus (yes, PUS, look it up) that milk contains.

I'll pass!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It is unnatural to drink the milk of another animal. We're the only animal on earth to drink the milk of another species. Think about it! When you're thirsty you don't look at a woman's breasts and go, 'mmm, I'm thirsty!' :laugh: Milk is meant for growing babies...cow milk is designed help a cow quadruple its weight in a short period of time...not to mention all the growth hormones & pus (yes, PUS, look it up) that milk contains.

I'll pass!
    Well, I suppose the growing aspect of milk is what makes it an ideal recovery drink for protein synthesis. Thanks!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'll pass!

Speak for yourself as to what one thinks when they're thirsty...

(...even though I haven't drank liquid cow's milk in 20+ years...but when I *was* drinking it at 32+ oz daily for a few years, I was still remarkably scrawny and in the lower 25%ile, (so my N=1 says that drinking milk causes remarkable skinniness).)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    My sons football coach told all of the kids to drink chocolate milk and water after practice instead of "sports" drink to replenish. He said regular chocolate milk was just as good if not better than the Muscle Milk some of the kids were buying. Of course, everything in moderation.
  • TreEe5
    TreEe5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great article. Especially since I loveeeeee milk!! I would like to know though....what kind of milk does everyone drink?? I've gotten Target brand milk, 110 cals for 8oz, then thought well maybe I should get something fat free. So I went out and bought fat free Skim Plus milk and guess what....110 cals for 8oz!!!!! Arghhh I need some help :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Great article. Especially since I loveeeeee milk!! I would like to know though....what kind of milk does everyone drink?? I've gotten Target brand milk, 110 cals for 8oz, then thought well maybe I should get something fat free. So I went out and bought fat free Skim Plus milk and guess what....110 cals for 8oz!!!!! Arghhh I need some help :)

I buy organic skim milk--any brand. They are all about 80 calories for one cup.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I'll pass!

That's not true. Many animals drink the milk of other animals if it's made available to them.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I'll pass!

afraidofmilk.jpg
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to dairy......wonder would LACTAID milk work?????
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I HATE skim milk- I only drink 2% or whole milk. Occasionally 1% if it's chocolate or the only option available, but skim milk really grosses me out. Back in the low-fat 90's when I was growing up, my mom became convinced skim milk was the answer but nobody in my family would drink it- so she would buy it, and then pour it in to a 2% milk jug to try and trick us. Needless to say, it didn't work. My mom also blames my boobs on milk hormones, and I'm pretty sure she gets her latest info from Dr. Oz. I love her anyway.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I think so- as far as I know the only difference between lactose milk and regular milk has to do with the milk sugars, aka lactase. I don't think the proteins are affected. I'm open to correction if I'm wrong about this though.
  • jilli814
    jilli814 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It works for cardio workouts as well. I drink chocolate milk after long runs. The carb:protein ratio is a perfect recovery fuel. I freeze a bottle the night before and then I have a cold, slushy drink afterwards.

Well this sounds very good. I am going to have to try it. Thanks for the idea!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It is unnatural to drink the milk of another animal. We're the only animal on earth to drink the milk of another species.
    Cats. Cats drink milk. I saw it on cartoons.
    Think about it! When you're thirsty you don't look at a woman's breasts and go, 'mmm, I'm thirsty!' :laugh:
    I think that.... among other things.....
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I think so- as far as I know the only difference between lactose milk and regular milk has to do with the milk sugars, aka lactase. I don't think the proteins are affected. I'm open to correction if I'm wrong about this though.

Thanks!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I'll pass!
    I also don't go mmmm I want to soak some nuts in water and squeeze the juices out of it and add some extracted ingredient from sea weed and some thickening agent with a little salt plus some other stuff (ingredients usually found in almond milk bought off the shelf).

I don't know where you're from but there's no growth hormones added to the milk here. Illegal.
  • NightHawkH
    NightHawkH Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    the whole choc milk is a proven fact but please make no miss conceptions ,
    if u are over weight and training your body has sufficient energy
    and storage to fix itself. there is no point drinking choc milk unless you
    are at a point where u are maintaining Ur weight. for majority of us looking to lose
    weight choc milk cancels out the work you just did. secondly don't even think of
    touching sports drinks unless u play intensive sport 4 times a week ...
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    are at a point where u are maintaining Ur weight. for majority of us looking to lose
    weight choc milk cancels out the work you just did. secondly don't even think of

If the chocolate milk will put you at a caloric surplus, then I understand your point. However, just saying chocolate milk will hinder weight loss, is incorrect. The point of the article was the benefits of milk for recovery not weight loss.
  • NightHawkH
    NightHawkH Posts: 8 Member
    Options

If the chocolate milk will put you at a caloric surplus, then I understand your point. However, just saying chocolate milk will hinder weight loss, is incorrect. The point of the article was the benefits of milk for recovery not weight loss.

soz should have made point clearer you pipped the nail on the head with what i meant...
    if its a recovery drink you're after then the chocolate milky goodness is Ur friends
  • TreEe5
    TreEe5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I HATE skim milk- I only drink 2% or whole milk. Occasionally 1% if it's chocolate or the only option available, but skim milk really grosses me out. Back in the low-fat 90's when I was growing up, my mom became convinced skim milk was the answer but nobody in my family would drink it- so she would buy it, and then pour it in to a 2% milk jug to try and trick us. Needless to say, it didn't work. My mom also blames my boobs on milk hormones, and I'm pretty sure she gets her latest info from Dr. Oz. I love her anyway.

LOL I know! I'd rather drink regular milk too :) Thanks for the info!
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Really great article this.

I drink Milk after workout I feel I don't ache as much.

I watched a TV show on it and used 50% of a rugby used milk after training the other a fitness recovery drink for a certain period and they all said the felt better with milk than the fitness recovery drink.

I'd rather drink milk than a fitness drink. I take a rehydration drink every now and then with me in the gym as it easier to drink, but after a workout what a refreshing way to feed my body!