VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• stellarcanicula
    stellarcanicula Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thread full of women upset that their exact body type isn't represented in every single commercial

This. Not every store is for every person.

I'm big and I fit into their stuff. Maybe you just have to know where to look? I don't know.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    VS stuff is lame anyway. I tried on 30 bras one day and ended up coming out of the dressing room and saying to the plastic sales girl CAN YOU NOT find ANY bras withOUT padding??? 38 Ds dont need armor and padding WTF. I dont mind some lift but I dont want them right under my chin. Panties need an *kitten*- not a string.

You want sexy and well fitted- move on to Fredericks of Hollywood. VS is strange crap- not made for every day- just posing and taking off.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think the VS one looks weird, and this is coming from a thin girl, it looks weirdly elongated...but the issue I have with the Dove one that it is supposed to represent more realistic women, but why does it not represent one naturally thin girl?

If I had to pick one to relate to more, then I would go the VS one, even though I don't have any curves and their undies fall right off my *kitten*!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Why do we think that retailers should have to tailor to us at every size? VS obviously found that they are more profitable if they only produce a certain range of sizes. It isn't a personal insult, it's just business. Don't tie your self-satisfaction to a marketing ploy.

I don't understand that. There are more plus sized women in this country than there used to be, so why wouldn't they want us to shop there? More customers = more money. I don't see the disconnect here. :/
    [/quote]

For the same reason Bentley don't make a £10,000 cheap runaround type car. Maintaining the brand. It makes sense to target 25% of the population but be able to charge 10 times the price.
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Wow, they're getting that bad are they? I've just been mad that I can't get cute bras in my size. If it isn't a C cup or smaller, it is nude, black or white. I found cute ones online that I ordered in my size and my boobs are hanging out of the cups and I had to lose 2 inches to fit the band that they measured me out to fit into.

Problem is, I have yet to find a place to shop for bras and haven't been fitted in ages...

cute/ what's a cute bra? My mom had me in a minimizer when I was 14 years old!!! my daughter has cute bras because she can...
    and I just can't! BTW- I have no idea WTF my real size is. One boob is bigger than the other!

I think everyone's is. One side of the body is always bigger than the other side not sure why
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try Cacique! I love their bras! They are comfy and made for large chested women and they have some cute bras, panties and lingerie as well!
    Wow, they're getting that bad are they? I've just been mad that I can't get cute bras in my size. If it isn't a C cup or smaller, it is nude, black or white. I found cute ones online that I ordered in my size and my boobs are hanging out of the cups and I had to lose 2 inches to fit the band that they measured me out to fit into.

Problem is, I have yet to find a place to shop for bras and haven't been fitted in ages...
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Thread full of women upset that their exact body type isn't represented in every single commercial

No, it's just that my body type isn't really represented anywhere. It would be nice to see a positive image of plus sized women on TV for a change but they get taken down quickly because they aren't sexy enough. We're constantly being told that thin women are the only attractive women and frankly, I'm sick of it. Nothing against thin women, I just want to see the media acknowledge plus sized women as something other than comic relief. We are beautiful too! :)

Plus size women certainly can be beautiful. But I don't think we should be glorifying something that is unhealthy like that. Not a fan of fat acceptance.

Yes because all fat people are unhealthy. I work in a warehouse on my feet 40-50 hours a week, go to the gym three times a week on top of that, and eat lean meats, fruits and veggies. Nope, I must be eating nothing but cake and ice cream all the time just because I'm fat. :/
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

Same, I like those women because they have feminine bodies that are also athletic looking. "Curvy" shouldn't be synonymous with "fat"

Agreed, it seems the two get smudged up a lot recently.

VS doesn't bother me. I like looking at their models just as much as anyone else does. Do they make me feel insecure? No. I'm 5'2 and will in no way, shape, or form ever look like a 6' tall model with a 3 mile long torso. I like their undies but I think they're overpriced outside of their 5/$26 panties. ha.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Companies and industries don't use thin models because they want to make women feel bad about themselves, they do it because it's good business:

1. A tall, thin person will almost always better show off clothing than another body type-- you're meant to notice the clothes, not the model. The model is nothing more than a hanger as far as the business is concerned.

2. It's cheaper to make clothing for thinner people since it takes less fabric and work-- that's why they started using skinny models in the first place. Of course a business will choose to cut costs and maximize profit where possible, that's the point of a business.

Also, the Victoria Secret ladies really aren't all terribly photo-shopped. Yes, they really do have crazy good bodies and fantastic skin. Just go look at those non-retouched photos.
    http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/victorias-secret-models-really-look-193600836.html
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    And this one is meant for the OP: This is the second time (that I am aware of) that you started an entire thread to complain about VS. Seriously, get over it already!

It's been a while since I started the other one though and I considered not starting this one because of it but I just wanted to get my opinion out there since it was about the ad more than the store. So am I not allowed to speak my mind just because I mentioned it before? Where is that in the MFP rules? You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to, I'm not forcing people to read it. Ugh. :/

Feel free to speak your mind but honestly you need to learn to separate marketing from self worth if this gets to you so bad. And I am just as entitled to speak my mind as you are.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Some people think that women are getting upset because "their body shape is not represented", which is incorrect.. women get upset, because companies such as VS cater to one specific group.

I will not walk in any of their stores ever again, and neither will most of my friends. I wanted to buy a bra (36C at the time), and was told "oh no, we don't put THAT size out on display". I replied, "so, what you are saying is, you don't want women who actually HAVE breasts to be seen buying bras?" If I wanted an ironing board cover, I would go to Bed Bath and Beyond.

When you consider over 61% of Americans are overweight or obese, their marketing department needs an overhaul.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    SMH....question....Which of you are "too big" for VS because of a medical issue? Just want to make sure tht y'all are pissed off at VS for the right reason, and not your own actions.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Dove's campagins, at all. I get what they're trying to do but the whole "real women have curves" thing that they're pimping out is vomitus. Real women have vagina's, period.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    Why do we think that retailers should have to tailor to us at every size? VS obviously found that they are more profitable if they only produce a certain range of sizes. It isn't a personal insult, it's just business. Don't tie your self-satisfaction to a marketing ploy.

I don't understand that. There are more plus sized women in this country than there used to be, so why wouldn't they want us to shop there? More customers = more money. I don't see the disconnect here. :/

It isn't that simple, that's why you can get 4 year and master's degrees in things like marketing, advertising, and manufacturing.

For every size that a company carries, they have to have different spaces, different equipment, and more people to produce them. VS picked their most profitable sizes and continued to produce them, and cut the ones that weren't selling enough to be worth the expense. Large companies like VS have staff dedicated to analyzing profit, they don't just flush money down the drain. If they chose to stop carrying your size, there is a reason.
  • kjjunior
    kjjunior Posts: 14
    Options
    http://themetapicture.com/the-difference-between-victorias-secret-and-dove/

Victoria Secret commercials make me want to throw up. Dove commercials make me want to buy their product. Don't the marketing people realize that we're smart enough to know buying their bras aren't going to make us look super sexy and skinny? I mean...seriously.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I went into a VS years ago and was told they didn't carry "my size"... it made me embarrassed and angry, and I swore I would never shop there again.

Fast forward to now: I have (literally) worked my *kitten* off, and fit into their things. I don't care *who* their target audience is -- I don't watch their fashion shows, and can't tell you the last time I saw one of their commercials. What I *do* know is that I deserve pretty underthings, and that is my store of choice.

Maybe I've developed enough self-esteem not to be offended by a retailer's advertising. It's a little like being ticked off at a Porsche commercial because you can't afford one, isn't it?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I love the dove one... I have never been able to fit in VS anything!

on the flip side of the VS one, the Dove one makes me feel like myself and women my size not real women.... so, it goes both ways. VS is focusing on their targte audience whle Dove is making it seem onlly bigger is beautiful and that is crap. All women are beautiful. Period.

This was something I posted earlier and thought I'd share here with you all, because I think it seems fitting. "Curves don't have to be negative. I have curves and I'm loving them. You see, I never used to have curves. I used to be a walking stick figure. Then, I started eating better and more food, working out, which caused me to lose body fat therefore creating curves. So see? Curves can be positive. ♥ ~ Bry"
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    And this one is meant for the OP: This is the second time (that I am aware of) that you started an entire thread to complain about VS. Seriously, get over it already!

It's been a while since I started the other one though and I considered not starting this one because of it but I just wanted to get my opinion out there since it was about the ad more than the store. So am I not allowed to speak my mind just because I mentioned it before? Where is that in the MFP rules? You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to, I'm not forcing people to read it. Ugh. :/

Feel free to speak your mind but honestly you need to learn to separate marketing from self worth if this gets to you so bad. And I am just as entitled to speak my mind as you are.

Honestly, with the frame I have, I'll never be thin so the odds of me ever being able to look like those on TV is pretty much impossible. And since VS is the only lingerie store in the area, I don't really have a lot of options if I wanted to get sexy lingerie. So I gotta settle for the ones in department stores as they are the only ones that carry my size. Hopefully when I move (within the next year or so) I'll be closer to other lingerie stores so it won't bother me as much. >.<
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

When you consider over 61% of Americans are overweight or obese, their marketing department needs an overhaul.

I think its funny that you think you know better than the experts VS hires and all money they spend researching. Have I missed something? Is VS near bankruptcy? Seems like they are doing just fine in the niche they've chosen for themselves. Stop being butt-hurt about them not having your size.

AND FYI they don't carry my bra size either, yet somehow I still feel whole.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I use to buy their stuff online every year. I was in ny so I visited a store. I was pumped. I was in a rush and I ran to the dressing room to try the one I liked on. The girl told me I didnt have the right size. I argued i sized myself and have been fitted in 2 other stores and to just let me try it on. She wouldnt let me. Basically told me we didn't know what we were doing and used her talking to kids voice. I stood there like an idiot as she got me a 32A. I told her it wasnt going to fit and I was in a hurry. She insisted so I quadraboobed my way into the teeny bra. I then yelled at her that it didnt fit. She stormed into the dressing room without asking and kinda jumped back in fright I think haha. The bra was trying to make a boob out of my underboob and my nips were popping out over the top...so she agreed to get me the size I wanted and so i asked her for a few more types of bras and ran out of there before she came back. It was kind of an embarassing degrading experience. F victoria secret I well never buy from there again.