What are you supposed to call...

Options

Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    How would you feel if your 3 year old daughter called YOU fat, or her sibling? Or ANYBODY for that matter. It's simply not appropriate, it's not now decent people talk. The fact you think coming on a fitness website and trying to pass telling your daughter she is going to get fat is a good thing, simply baffles.

Aren't we all on this fitness website to try and avoid becomming fat? Or to stop being fat?

No, not really.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    You might just want to admit defeat on this one.

^this
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't really see anything wrong with telling a child not to overeat. Childhood obesity is a major problem in this country. This mom is doing what she needs to do to try and prevent her child from overeating. Would it have been any different if she said "don't eat that because you will get overweight" or "don't eat that because you might develop weight problems"? I suppose those might have been the kinder, gentler words to use but I personally don't sugar coat things or go for political correctness.

I just have to assume you do not have children.

I don't have or want children and know that you don't tell a 3yr old that. There's a difference between the honesty you tell a 3yr old and the honesty you tell a 23yr old.

My comment was more about her talking about teaching a 3-year-old not to overeat, but I didn't want to get into all of that.

Healthy, normal 3-year-olds just don't overeat. They eat when they're hungry and stop when they aren't hungry unless they have an adult providing very fattening foods and pushing them to clean their plates.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How would you feel if your 3 year old daughter called YOU fat, or her sibling? Or ANYBODY for that matter. It's simply not appropriate, it's not now decent people talk. The fact you think coming on a fitness website and trying to pass telling your daughter she is going to get fat is a good thing, simply baffles.

Aren't we all on this fitness website to try and avoid becomming fat? Or to stop being fat?

I'm just here for the weenis.
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    330x182px-LL-7dc6c095_micheal-jackson-eating-popcorn-theater-gif.gif
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Whether I have children or not or what my mother did or did not say to me as a child has nothing to do with political correctness being stupid.

We are all on a fitness web site because we are trying to lose weight or maintain our weight or build muscle. Basically there is not a single person here who wants to be fat. So why sugarcoat it?

I'm sick and tired of people defending being overweight. It seems like anyone who is honest about wanting to be thin these days is villified. I think telling a child not to eat something "because she'll get fat" is a grand idea, personally. Perhaps it will help her learn portion control etc. at a very young age.

It's not like the mom pointed at the daughter and called her a big fat fatty. She simply said "don't eat that or you'll get fat". Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Children need to learn the consequences of overeating and whatever works for this mom is what she should do.

I personally think we have a nation of fat kids these days because no one wants to risk hurting their little feelings by telling it like it is. This is making a generation of unhealthy children.
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options

No, not really.

So if you are not here to lose weight/maintain weight/build muscle or in some otherway improve your body, why are you on a fitness forum?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Whether I have children or not or what my mother did or did not say to me as a child has nothing to do with political correctness being stupid.

We are all on a fitness web site because we are trying to lose weight or maintain our weight or build muscle. Basically there is not a single person here who wants to be fat. So why sugarcoat it?

I'm sick and tired of people defending being overweight. It seems like anyone who is honest about wanting to be thin these days is villified. I think telling a child not to eat something "because she'll get fat" is a grand idea, personally. Perhaps it will help her learn portion control etc. at a very young age.

It's not like the mom pointed at the daughter and called her a big fat fatty. She simply said "don't eat that or you'll get fat". Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Children need to learn the consequences of overeating and whatever works for this mom is what she should do.

I personally think we have a nation of fat kids these days because no one wants to risk hurting their little feelings by telling it like it is. This is making a generation of unhealthy children.

I think you don't know what political correctness is.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options
    Mommie_Dearest.jpg
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options

No, not really.

So if you are not here to lose weight/maintain weight/build muscle or in some otherway improve your body, why are you on a fitness forum?

Lots of great material to *kitten* to. Thanks for asking!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Mommie_Dearest.jpg

i love you. NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options
    Wow. I feel for the OP.

I understand promoting a healthy lifestyle etc. but there is nothing wrong with encouraging the child to care about his/her personal appearance also. Since when is it a crime to care how you look? It’s a good thing to care how you look. Caring how you look does not always equal an eating disorder!

It’s funny, if I tell people I’m losing weight to get healthy, they applaud me. If I tell them I’m losing weight because I want to look better, they act like I’m a horrible person.

Sorry, I’ll come straight out and say it: I find the look of fat just as unappealing as the health risks of fat. But to each their own. I seriously doubt there is a single person among you who isn’t at least partly trying to lose weight to improve your appearance though.

Perhaps you didn't read her original post?.... She told her child not to overeat on PB because it will make her fat.

Do you think it's appropriate to tell a 3 yr old not to eat something because they will be fat?

I don't really see anything wrong with telling a child not to overeat. Childhood obesity is a major problem in this country. This mom is doing what she needs to do to try and prevent her child from overeating. Would it have been any different if she said "don't eat that because you will get overweight" or "don't eat that because you might develop weight problems"? I suppose those might have been the kinder, gentler words to use but I personally don't sugar coat things or go for political correctness.

No. That's not what I asked. I asked you if it was appropriate to tell a 3yr old not to eat something because THEY WILL BE FAT. I said nothing about overeating in my question.

I see nothing wrong with saying word for word "do not eat this or you will get fat" when you see your child overeating as it sounds like this mom did.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No, not really.

Lots of great material to *kitten* to. Thanks for asking!

LOL: she so gave you that one on a platter.
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow. I feel for the OP.

I understand promoting a healthy lifestyle etc. but there is nothing wrong with encouraging the child to care about his/her personal appearance also. Since when is it a crime to care how you look? It’s a good thing to care how you look. Caring how you look does not always equal an eating disorder!

It’s funny, if I tell people I’m losing weight to get healthy, they applaud me. If I tell them I’m losing weight because I want to look better, they act like I’m a horrible person.

Sorry, I’ll come straight out and say it: I find the look of fat just as unappealing as the health risks of fat. But to each their own. I seriously doubt there is a single person among you who isn’t at least partly trying to lose weight to improve your appearance though.

Perhaps you didn't read her original post?.... She told her child not to overeat on PB because it will make her fat.

Do you think it's appropriate to tell a 3 yr old not to eat something because they will be fat?

No. That's not what I asked. I asked you if it was appropriate to tell a 3yr old not to eat something because THEY WILL BE FAT. I said nothing about overeating in my question.

I see nothing wrong with saying word for word "do not eat this or you will get fat" when you see your child overeating as it sounds like this mom did.

You clearly know nothing abt children.
  • rml_16
    Options

She did not see her child overeating. And you don't teach a child to eat healthy with threats.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Telling a child that she shouldn't eat because she will get fat, regardless of the true-ness of the statement... can lead to a long road of disordered eating.

Realize that it is more common for young girls (studies have shown as early as age 6) developing negative body issues, thinking they are fat, and beginning disordered eating.

You want to combat obesity, I get that, but the only way is to teach them to have a POSITIVE relationship with food.....

*sigh*
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options

She did not see her child overeating. And you don't teach a child to eat healthy with threats.

It sounded from her other post that the child was eating too much peanut butter and she told her to stop eating it or she'd get fat.

Also, threats work just fine for some kids. Not sure what generation you come from but I was a 70's baby and believe my parents threats worked just fine to curb my behavior. I didn't know a single kid growing up who didn't fear consequences of their actions because of the way their parents raised them. Kids are way too soft these days. And FYI, my parents never raised a hand to me or insulted me. But did they put the fear of consequences in me? Absolutely.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm fat.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    political correctness runs amuck in this country. Someone's little rugrat is going to get their feelings hurt if the right words aren't used.

You are STILL on this. For the love of gravy.

and this bothers you...why?

It's seemingly the only thing your passionate about or care to talk about. I find it very annoying. Was that PC??

I do discuss other things, mostly scientific or outdoorsy in nature. But yes, I am very passionate about it.
    Maybe you should skip my posts or block me from your view? That should ease your nausea a bit.

I am certainly passionate about the supposed perfect parents out there who won't dare say the word fat around little Johnny or Jane because it might scar them for life in some form or another. I feel that coddling the rugrats has a tendency to set them up for a few shockers in the later years.

A good parent would not be afraid to use the word and then teach the rugrats some tact. But hey, that might be a little difficult and take a little too much work.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options

remind me to nominate you for the perfect parent award...................
This discussion has been closed.