VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Amen, sister! I honestly look at those Victoria Secret models and think, "Are they even the same species as me?" Then I read an article about how they eat no solids for weeks before a show and I realized that no, they aren't!

Victoria's real secret is diarrhea

naw it was 2 hankies tied together......but that was a loooonnggg time ago
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    AND... I have heard that the people who MAKE VS bra's, ALSO make the Bra's for LANE BRYANT.

SO, check it out...they have some cute bra's.

Lane Bryant and VS are the same company :)

And Cacique is a LB brand as well..you buy it IN the LB store :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    lol - this thread made me laugh sorry.

I'm just glad I'm happy with my body - even at my heaviest I was still able to fit VS. I weigh 150 and wear a small/medium and I love most of their products - I don't understand why people complain, find something better to your liking or change something, your thoughts or eating habits!
  • lizchk
    lizchk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!! I was so mad when they stopped carrying my size not to mention most store personel are RUDE!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    <--- would you buy this?

I'd buy that for a dollar!
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    One option which doesn't seem to have been suggested (possibly because most of the people seem to be US rather than UK) is support local independent retailers and stockists , they are far more likely to build up a long term relationship with you and try harder to get you what you need!
    We used to have a fantastic shop by us called corsetry cottage with a lady who could tell you what would fit just by looking at you and would do alterations if needed but sadly people didn't support the place and it went bust. I'd rather pay more for something I know fits and will last than but cheap 3 wear stuff that doesn't quite fit ..

I don't know of many independent retailers in our area, mostly because they are bought out rather quickly. I'd probably would have to move into the city to get to one. >.>

Yeah I had a suspicion that might be the case , from what I understand there are far fewer independent retailers in the US which is a shame because it tends to be a nicer shopping experience and more ecologically sound :/
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I hate VS. Well to be fair I hate all bra shops. It seems like if you are over a C cup too bad so sad. Or if you are magically over a C cup your arent allowed to have a little rig cage. I am a 32DDD/E which I am lead to believe by observation of bra sellers, does not actually exist in nature but on my freak body. The only place I can find my size is Nordstrom but I don't fit into the financial demographic the Nordstrom falls into haha.

I wear a 32F and swear by Panache brand. Try barenecessities.com if you are willing to buy online.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    My two cents... I like VS for one thing.. their extra long yoga pants. The bras fit, the tops sometimes do too. I'm tall (6') so I am USED to most clothes in most stores not fitting me properly... but VS - they have the yoga pants down.

I would name my third daughter (if I was planning on having one) Victoria, because OMG I CAN BUY A PAIR OF YOGA PANTS THAT ARE LONG ENOUGH AND THEY DON'T COST $100.

I'm a freak when it comes to height - and I'm damn proud of it. Should I be mad at all the stores that DON'T cater to my height... what's the point. I shop at stores that will supply my needs, and will secretly drool at all of you who can shop at any of a million trendy stores, and wear cute perky clothes that are long enough in the legs, have the waists sit at their waists (wow what a concept), and don't look like they have ape arms cuz the sleeves are too short.

My point is this... no point in getting pissed off at the places that don't cater to you. They don't care. They have enough customers to pay their bills. The only person that your anger affects is you. :) Instead, keep looking til you find the store that does make you look good, and shop til you drop.

Oh, and don't get me started when it comes to shoes... ;) (yep, I'm gifted in THAT area too!)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    My two cents... I like VS for one thing.. their extra long yoga pants. The bras fit, the tops sometimes do too. I'm tall (6') so I am USED to most clothes in most stores not fitting me properly... but VS - they have the yoga pants down.

I would name my third daughter (if I was planning on having one) Victoria, because OMG I CAN BUY A PAIR OF YOGA PANTS THAT ARE LONG ENOUGH AND THEY DON'T COST $100.

I'm a freak when it comes to height - and I'm damn proud of it. Should I be mad at all the stores that DON'T cater to my height... what's the point. I shop at stores that will supply my needs, and will secretly drool at all of you who can shop at any of a million trendy stores, and wear cute perky clothes that are long enough in the legs, have the waists sit at their waists (wow what a concept), and don't look like they have ape arms cuz the sleeves are too short.

My point is this... no point in getting pissed off at the places that don't cater to you. They don't care. They have enough customers to pay their bills. The only person that your anger affects is you. :) Instead, keep looking til you find the store that does make you look good, and shop til you drop.

Oh, and don't get me started when it comes to shoes... ;) (yep, I'm gifted in THAT area too!)

I'm kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum. I need to buy petite pants and sometimes I need to hem those a little too. And petite seems to be synonymous with skinny so if you're a plus sized petite woman, you're gonna have a hard time finding pants. I also have a wide foot so I have to order shoes most of the time. So yeah, I feel your pain in that department. :(

I know it's pointless to get mad at VS, I just wish they had a cute n sexy option for plus sized women in my area. But hopefully when I move, I'll be able to find more options for me. Although I don't plan on being plus sized forever, but it may be a while before I reach my goal so I'd like to be able to look good in the meantime. :)
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    Everyone on here has some really good points, but I don't think that VS was aiming to sell a body positive campaign. The bra itself is called Body by Victoria's Secret. That's why the tagline is 'Love Your Body'.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    ok for the bigger ladies at 38G hopefully soon to be 36G lane bryant can measure and fit you and casique makes some really nice bras including a pretty minamizer
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I dont shop at VS and never will, i tihnk they send out a very bad body image to women. However I also hated doves "real women" campaign.

Why were there no skinny women in there? Whats all this talk about "real women have curves" for crying out loud people!! REAL women are born with a vagina.. thats it. Doesn't matter what size, shape, skin colour, hair style, way your dress... if you were born with the equipment to reproduce you are a real woman.

I always been thin and i dont go around judging women bigger than me so could bigger women please get off my back about my size!? its seriously just as offensive.

/end rant

** EDIT**

I struggle to, but i love my body, yours its great to and so is your neighours whatever works for an idividual is just peachy with me.

***EDIT***
    Unfortunately sex sells, guys are going to go buy their partners over priced lingerie if they dont think she'll look attractive in it, and a sneaky marketing ploy...wait for it... we see something and think "oh my gosh, she looks amazing" we go buy it, get home put and on and get dissapointed but still feel a little sexier having seen the "sexy" advertising
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I worked at VS even at my heaviest. They cut down their size ranges due to a lack of buyers. While many of you may not believe that, its true. I worked there for over 2 years and have great things to say about the company, even though they slowed production on my size too. I saw some posts about the customer experiences they had while in the store and that is shocking to me! Every woman I worked with was extremely kind and would not say rude things to any shopper. Just my 2 cents. I personally can't wait to get into smaller sizes and start getting the super cute matching sets!
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    To bad they do not realize the average woman is not a toothpick
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    its an add come on people
    :heart: vs my undies rule! oh and im a 14 38c at the local store i can get my size and since some how this thread ant done yet:
    OldSpiceComment.gif

for the underarmor thread!!
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Love your body, but love it enough to make it a healthy one.

^^ this.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't understand that. There are more plus sized women in this country than there used to be, so why wouldn't they want us to shop there? More customers = more money. I don't see the disconnect here. :/

For the same reason Bentley don't make a £10,000 cheap runaround type car. Maintaining the brand. It makes sense to target 25% of the population but be able to charge 10 times the price.

Further to this point...

I used to work in Ted Baker, and their clothes only came in UK sizes 6, 8, 10, 12.

Now I work sometimes in advertising, and I use the phrase "on-brand" and "off-brand" more than I'd like. Ted Baker considered UK sizes 14+ overweight, and therefore "off-brand". Simply put, they didn't want overweight clients wearing their clothes - clients who are walking advertisements for future clients, so they don't sell the clothes in those sizes.

Any brand will target a particular demographic, and aim to sell to them, but they also decide by default which demographics they don't want to sell to as well.

the bentley commenter and ted baker commenter have it right. if VS doesnt carry your size its because they dont want someone your size wearing it. harsh but true. find a store that does want your business and go there.

edited to say: Im a 36A or even a AA, I dont shop there but Im not bitter :)
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    You will never get it. This forum is labeled "Motivation and Support". There are NEGATIVE comments on here. Not OPINIONS. That's the difference. Maybe if I compared it to walking down the street and sticking my tongue out at someone and giving them a mean face. Is it against the law? No. Can you do it? Yes. BUT, So should I do it? No.
    That's the difference between civil people.

I'm glad to see everything has calmed down now. The OP made a point and shared her opinion that telling women to love their bodies while catering to a more exclusive set of women is hypocritical. She didn't say that she hated all skinny women.

Some people keep saying "MFP doesn't have a rule that says I can't share my opinion" although apparently what they mean by "their opinion" is taking someone else's impression and blowing it wildly out of context. I would like to reiterate what was said above. There are NEGATIVE comments on here. Not OPINIONS.

In closing,
    find a brand that works for you. If it's not VS, appreciate that they help some of us love our bodies a little more.

It's hard enough to believe in yourself in this day and age so let's all respect each other as women who are trying to be a better version of themselves and support, motivate and encourage. Don't tear other people down.

Girl power. :flowerforyou:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I just need to say... I ran my first triathlon last night. Most of the women who kicked my *kitten* were ones built like the women in the Dove ad. Not one looked like a Victoria's Secret model. While many of the women were "athletic-looking", perhaps a majority looked like they were carrying a few extra pounds. Maybe something to think about if you're considering the difference between a body that is in style aesthetically, and a body that can perform amazing things.

These two companies advertise because they want to make money off of your body image. They're selling you products, not self-esteem. They don't care about your self-esteem.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    VS has definitely changed their sizing. They used to carry up to a 44 band. I have VS bras I can fit into but wanted to buy a new one and the biggest band size they have now is 40. Screw you VS.

Other brands such as Le Mystere, Goddess, Anita, Wacoal, etc will cater to me so I will spend my money with them now and when I get back into 40 C and below.