How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal to us ... I actually added household products (about $200/month) we're at about $1200/month ... (400 a week) ... (family of 6) ... but a lot of people I talk to who spend less on groceries eat out more ... we are probably less than once a month at a restaurant ...
    An inSANE amount.

I have a spouse, three children (one of whom is a full-grown man), a dog, a cat, and a hamster. We all pack our lunches every day and we rarely eat out. We eat mostly organic, all natural, with minimal processing. Additionally, my kids often have friends spend the night(s) and they eat too.

Including pet food/products, personal items, paper goods, and cleaning products, I spend between $275-$300 per week.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Its really hard to say as I don't buy it all at once and usually have non foods items in there too like toilet paper, cat food and various soaps. I'm guessing about 200 a week for the 2 of us adults and 4 teens.
  • christy180
    Options
    I'm in Indiana and I spend $100 for two adults every week. I shop the "outer rim" of the grocery store. produce, meat and dairy.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Between $130-$160 (with coupons) for 2 adults and a teenage boy.

Food is expensive in my area (NY) and we buy organic, almond milk, speciality coffees & a lot of higher ticket items so it adds up.
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    I think I typically spend about $150.00 I'm feeding 3 in my household.
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    About $300 or so, 2 adults. We eat only organic/natural and buy all our meats locally from organic farmers so it gets pricey.

ETA: We eat out maybe once a month, if that. We rarely get coffees at coffee shops. (We don't like that most restaurants aren't organic and non-organic coffee is just sprayed with nasty chemicals)
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Ranges between $50 - $150/week for two adults. Tons of fresh fruit and veggies. Fresh & frozen meats. Not a lot of pre-packaged anything except cereal, pretzels, snack things. Just depends on what's on sale (I stock up if it can be frozen or is shelf-stable) and how hungry we are when we shop.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Depends on where I grocery shop...if I go to a higher end store I spend about $130/week for 2 people.

If I go to Food Lion, I spend about $70
  • haydensmommy30
    Options
    For my husband and myself, we spend about $80-$100 a week. But for the most part, there is usually a week out of the month that we don't have to shop at all. I guess because some nights we have leftovers, so we end up not having to use any of the new groceries. :happy:
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    We avg $135 a week for 3 adults, that does include household products but not pet food. I buy meat in bulk bi weekly from the butcher shop, the farmers market for fruits and veggies and usually Wally World and Fry's for the rest.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I normally spend between £35-45 a week on shopping, there's 3 of us in the house - 2 grown men who'd eat anything, but I make them eat semi-healthy-ish (if I can!)
  • ashleyconstantine
    ashleyconstantine Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow. We spend about $400 a month. Including $100 worth of formula, plus diapers.
    We're cheap, lol.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I do daycare and shop a lot at sams club. I just get sick of buying everything in small quantities. I spend like 200 a week at least but that is for a lot of kids besides my own too.
    I buy a lot of lean meat in town here, that is my downfall. I also buy whole grain bread/tortillas and low fat cheeses for my daycare kids as well as the family and buy a ton of fresh fruits and vegies. I have served salmon and asparagus to my daycare kids :)
  • asmithTXfit
    asmithTXfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Live in Texas and I spend $50-75 a week for a family of 3. I buy in bulk when items are on sale and then freeze. I also found that when I limited the processed/ready made items my grocery bill dropped drastically. We also tend to eat the in-season produce or go with frozen veggies. Since I buy in bulk, there are some weeks that I just have to pick up milk and produce. Love not spending tons of time at the grocery store.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I buy 2-3 gallons of milk and fresh veggie/fruits on a weekly basis, spending maybe $30. Other than that I shop monthly and the majority comes from Sams club. I spend somewhere in the range of $300 a month at Sams. So I guess thats about $420/mo. There are 3 adults and 5 dogs in my house (ya, a decent portion of the Sams $ is on kibbles & rawhides :bigsmile: )
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I feed two adults, in Boston. I spend about $125 a week.
  • amy_wills
    amy_wills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I spend $200 a week on a family of 4. My husband is always saying that I spend too much - but I never eat out, I take my lunches to work and pack the kids lunches too. Eating clean is expensive!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It varies... It's just my husband and I, so I budget $100 a week. I usually have one week of the month that I spend over that, which is when I re-stock our meat. Weekly items are usually just fresh fruits and veggies to go with the meat we already have on hand. I cook at home a minimum of 3 nights a week, I have cooked at home all 7 nights before! And I almost always take left overs for lunch the following day.
  • Itssojen
    Itssojen Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I typically spend between $45-70 per week on groceries, and that's just for me. I only have myself to feed. The more produce I buy, the more I spend, but that's okay because I'm spending it on that rather than some junk.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I spend about $1000-1200 a month for 4+ people. My daughter is in college and is home every other weekend and I usually make some things for her to bring back to school as well. There are 2 teen age boys in the mix and they have hollow legs!! I could probably get by a bit cheaper if I hit all the sales at the various stores, but that takes a lot of time and I would rather spend it with my family or at the gym. I'm very fortunate to be able to make that choice.