How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    My fiancee and I have a budget of no more than $140 for two weeks. We split it almost in half but use a little for mutual needs like toilet paper. then we each have $50-$60 to make work for two weeks. If we want something else, it's our own responsibility to pay for it. It's rough but we've learned how to make it work AND we both get ridiculous amounts of fruits and veggies, considering how little we have to spend!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    For two adults, we usually spend about $130 a week, sometimes more, sometimes a little less.
    We can easily spend $30 to $40 just on fresh produce.. I don't understand how some of you can only spend $50/week for two people??? Are you buying fresh produce? Even if I buy it a produce market, it is still expensive - maybe that is just a New Jersey thing? For example, green bell peppers are usually about $3/pound, red peppers are more expensive than that.
    In a typical week, I usually buy Bell peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, string beans, onions, potatoes, garlic, fresh herbs, a few different kinds of fruit, etc. That stuff adds up FAST.

I've seen this debate before, and I don't care what anybody says, Healthy food costs more than other foods. We are spending MUCH more on groceries now that we are both on diets. Prior to dieting, we'd spend about $75/week on groceries - so it has almost doubled. Probably because I wasn't really buying much fresh produce, so that cut our bill right there. But low-fat anything is more expensive than full fat stuff - and is usually RARELY on sale.

I use coupons as much as possible, and will always buy the cheapest option/store brand if I can, to save money.
    I try to cook a meal at least 5 days a week with leftovers one night, and one dinner out. I buy bulk packs of meat and freeze it.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For two people, $50-$60 a week. Mostly produce, no meat.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's just me and my husband & we spend approximately $300-$400 a month for groceries, which equals out to $75-$100/week. We're military, so we do most of our shopping at the commissary...saves us a LOT of money!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I think we average 250$a month for two adults at this point
  • greedygirl118
    Options
    I really have no idea, as I don't do a weekly shop. Typically, I spend around £40 at the farmer's market on a Sunday if I'm not working that day, and around £80 at Lidl every few weeks. The rest gets picked up in local shops - delis, the butcher, fishmonger etc. Probably around £100 a week for two people and two cats, including non-food items. But that doesn't include eating out, which happens probably once or twice a week on average.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i spend something like $350 +\- bucks a month or so on groceries for myself, my boyfriend our 4 year old and our 5 month old....

i do coupon a lot and shop sales and the clearance racks though to keep the costs down..otherwise im sure it would be a lot more...

i tend to only make one big trip to the store where i get all our dry goods and stuff for the freezer that usually costs around 300 and then i make one or two more trips as we need more produce/perishables because i hate grocery shopping so much lol
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    $150 - $200 for my hubby, doggie and myself. I hate it. I could get by on like $50 when I ate crap food.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Its just me! so i spend about $50-60 a month, about $15 a week

ETA: And I don't just eat junk food xD
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    When I eat fresh fruits and veggies along with premium cuts of meat, about $125 per week... for just me.
  • mikkijane1
    mikkijane1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    About $100/week for two people. I agree that healthy foods tend to be more expensive than unhealthy "foods". Wish it was the other way around!
  • BrewerFan2
    Options
    For just my hubby and I now it's about $50 bucks a week on average. This is just my veggies and fruits and stocking up on my healthy items. We usually do a bigger trip every month or two for frozen lunch items for him and that runs us about $100 bucks but will last a few months. I'm a huge coupon shopper and this is the time of year I start stocking up for our local food pantry shopping trips as well. We try to donate between 250 and 500 bucks worth of food and products throughout the year to our local food pantry yearly, most of that is through my coupon savings.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, and I buy groceries for just myself. I used to spend around £30 a week (or £50 if I was being more extravagant) but lately I've been looking into budgeting and how to live well on less, and I'm spending around £10 a week ($15 US).

I go to the grocery store in the evening when the food about to go out-of-date is reduced. And I only buy healthy food - a lot of fresh fruit and veg (it gets reduced to insanely cheap prices). I've pretty much stopped buying junk food, except for the occasional packet of crisps. I'm a bit geeky in that I find it great fun to set myself a budget to stick to, and finding ways to keep within it.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Up to $200 a week for four people. Usually it's lower than that, though. We buy our beef from family, same with pork, and we hunt so we have plenty of venison, duck, wild turkey and pheasant to use (usually- we lost a bunch this year when a freezer died). I get a lot of our fruit and veggies from bountiful baskets, so produce gets a pretty low cost. I'm going to start canning food as well, so that should help out my budget in the future.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'm so curious, exactly what do you buy? $15 would by me bananas, my milk, strawberries & feta cheese for example. Hardly enough for a week!
    Its just me! so i spend about $50-60 a month, about $15 a week

ETA: And I don't just eat junk food xD
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I spend about $50 every other week on organic produce, and about $45 weekly on groceries. So, that evens out to about $70 a week for one person. I do keep kosher, which is expensive. So my food bill always makes me cringe. I entertain with a three course meal twice a month (2-6 people) on that budget too.
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    About 150$/wk for two adults, though that includes groceries and other household items. And maybe 30-50 of it is on stuff I'm buying extra of because its on sale so I try to stock up. Good produce is very hard to find cheap too, even in season stuff you can expect to pay like $2/lb for tomatoes even though they're local. Or they sell stuff that frankly won't last long because its near the end of its shelf life, so you end up not buying much of it & having to make more trips if you need more, or wasting it cause it goes bad before you can use it all (I especially have this problem with lettuce). We do buy extra things for snacking and what not, and some things i pay more for (e.g. cage free eggs, cereal, etc) but I feel like I off set some of that by buying a good amt of generic or like I said buying in bulk when stuff is on sale. This will probably have to change though, since my job is ending next month (and so far its been a no-go on a new one) this will really affect what we eat :p
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    About $125/week for two adults, a 5 year old and and 2 year old.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    We spend about $125 per week (2 adults, 2 kids). I wish we could save $$$ by going to the farmer's market, but I find around here it's actually more pricey than the supermarket. ??!?

It's the same here and with the droughts the prices have already gone UP at the farmer's markets where the grocery store is still selling romaine and red lettuce for .39$ a head and corn for .25$

We spend 80 - 100$ a week for 2 adults and a 4yr old part time. I make nearly everything from scratch also.
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    2 adults. $200ish a MONTH we spend on groceries.