"i love you..." empty or adequate expression?

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You could try saying "I am so in love with you" or "I just love you more and more every day!" or "I love you all the way to the moon and back" Just some suggestions. ;)

awww how cute! :)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Actions do speak louder than words. That's why always choose a new fun disguise... I mean costume and follow her around.

Also I find that she really knows I mean it when I leave notes on her care that read, "I'm watching you."
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Just tell him to pull your hair....he'll know:wink:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Actions do speak louder than words. That's why always choose a new fun disguise... I mean costume and follow her around.

Also I find that she really knows I mean it when I leave notes on her care that read, "I'm watching you."

True love is when she looks at you and demands you put it in her pooper.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    love? wotsit??:tongue:

ive had that said to me with no action backup at all...so it can be empty... but im sure if it is said with the person's emotional stability to support it then its wonderful to hear.:flowerforyou:
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Actions speak louder than words.

This... sometimes words just aren't enough. DOING something to show that affection means more than words.
  • lamanderanna
    Options
    Whenever my husband and I get really snuggly and lovey, he always says, "Gah, why can't we just be one person?"
    Because then it would be *kitten* and that isn't as fun.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I ONLY say it if I truly mean it. Unless I’m drunk, and in that case, I sometimes say things I don’t mean. There has also been a time where I have translated this improperly when trying to speak Spanish.
  • crystal_darling
    crystal_darling Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think its adequate. I normally do something cute like give my boyfriends tons of kisses while saying "I love you" about a million times. Or we basically scream out I love you while holding each others face followed by a huge kiss. You can play around with it and do cutesy actions while saying I love you. :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I think its adequate. I normally do something cute like give my boyfriends tons of kisses while saying "I love you" about a million times. Or we basically scream out I love you while holding each others face followed by a huge kiss. You can play around with it and do cutesy actions while saying I love you. :)

It's more problematic when all I have is the phone--we're 3000 miles apart right now :( stupid law school!
  • aften_g
    aften_g Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Whenever my husband and I get really snuggly and lovey, he always says, "Gah, why can't we just be one person?"
    Because then it would be *kitten* and that isn't as fun.

Hahaha! I'll tell him that next time!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My guy and I do not say "I love you" but we say "I like you" or "I like you very much" and have our sweet little expressions. He is an actor, so will do this French accent where he says I love you in French, which sounds like "Shoot the door" so in time that evolved into something as simple as "door" or "windows" in texts for us. We make it unique, and avoid the overused. I've had tons of "I love yous" from people who have treated me badly or cheated on me. I'll take this over that any day.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    for me it means everything
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    I think that people toss the word 'love' around way too much. When I tell someone I love them, they know I mean it. I don't hand it out like its nothing. Love is a very serious thing to me but its not like people don't know when I like them. People can tell when I'm affectionate and whatnot.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

True love is when she looks at you and demands you put it in her pooper.

I attest to this! But, true love or not, sometimes she just wants it in her pooper.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree with most people that have posted. My husband and I have been married almost 16 years(together 19yrs) and we say we love each other multiple times a day. But we also show it in all the little things. Like every night before I go to bed(hubby works 3rds)...he will text me and tell me goodnight and that he loves me. He checks all the doors and windows before he leaves(which shows he truly cares about my well being). I pack his lunch and grab his work clothes out and have them ready just to make his life a little easier. We still hug and kiss throughout the day and dance in the kitchen when I'm cooking. Tons more, but the little things really mean a lot. Oh and ya know how sometimes you can love someone but not really like them(I think we all have family like that somwhere)....if we have a disagreement, afterward we say we love each other and that we like each other too.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I can't say that... :( not even to my own family :\
  • CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    adini749 is absolutely right -- it's all about action.

My guy doesn't say the words "I love you," because he never has to. He "says" it every single moment by being there when I need him, giving me space when I need to do something on my own. He says it by paying attention and remembering what he's asked me. He doesn't buy gifts for the sake of spending money or giving me gifts. For example, I really don't like flowers or candy and I'm not all that big on jewelry. He learned that early on and doesn't buy me that stuff. He gets that a gift isn't about the $$ spent, it's about making the other person happy, so he listens to what I talk about and when I express preferences, or wishes or hopes or dreams - he pays attention! He's secure enough to ask for and accept help from me if he needs it. He's willing to support me, and secure enough to not be offended if I don't need it. We've had one fight in all these years and that was early on, because hadn't yet figured out how to communicate very well. Now we do. We let the little bull**** things in life go. I've never once worried about toilet seat position or clothes that don't quite make it into the hamper. He doesn't freak out if my bras are hanging up to dry somewhere he has to dodge them or move them.

You want to show you care? Pay attention. If there's something you do that you KNOW gets on his nerves, think about it and don't do it! If there's something he likes to do that you don't understand - LEARN. ASK. If there's something he HATES to do and you can do it for him, do it! When you get annoyed by something he's done, stop and think - does this REALLY matter in the long run? On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is it? Learn to let the little stuff go.

Me and my guy LIVE "I love you" eery minute of every day. And while I hope nothing ever happens to end it, if anything bad does ever happen, I can honestly say that I don't regret one minute of the last 15 years we've been together. I'm proud of who both of us are as people, both as individuals and as a couple. If that ain't love - don't know what is. :-)
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options

It's more problematic when all I have is the phone--we're 3000 miles apart right now :( stupid law school!

Are you able to send him things to let him know you're thinking of him? How often do you see each other? I think you're feeling the emptiness of the word simply because you're missing him (I'm sorry if I'm wrong) - The words, when meant, are so extremely powerful. Just remind yourself that you mean them, with every last 'fiber of you', and thats all that matters. I 100% agree that the actions behind the words speak volumes, but if you aren't able to show him how much right this second, save it for when you can be together again and make sure to remind him, with your words, how much you love him while he's away.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    meh... dont believe in love anymore. lol

I do for others.

Just not for me.