Tuna Fish: What do you do with it w/o the mayo?????

Options

Replies

• Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Around here, italian style tuna is made with olive oil and vinegar rather than with mayo. I find I like it best without the olive oil, and just some balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper. I've also tried just lemon juice, but I can handle really sour stuff ;). My new FAVORITE is mixing in a tablespoon or so of Trader Joe's lowfat (or fat free, can't remember) Champagne Vinaigrette. I think this dressing is mostly champagne vinegar with a little mustard. I add black pepper to this too, and have found I like it even more than with mayo! Often I scoop the tuna up with wheat thins rather than making a sandwich, as I find this way I can really taste the tuna.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I've never been fond of mayo so I use horseradish sauce instead
  • ShellySwickSmall57
    Options
    I use kroger brand miracle whip lite,,,thats all i use,,,
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Squeeze or two of lemon juice, shake of lemon pepper and dill weed, and ta-da. It has always felt dirty to sully up albacore tuna with mayo. I still put mayo and the usual relish, etc. into chunk light tuna sometimes, though, because that is where it belongs.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've done these to plain tuna:
    ranch dressing
    lemon pepper seasoning
    garlic hummus
    minced veggies
  • srslycolette
    srslycolette Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For tuna sandwiches I just mix it with chopped egg, mustard, and the tiniest spoon of dill relish
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    add avocado
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's actually delicious with cream cheese and you can use the 1/3 less fat (fat free has the right texture but no taste in my opinion).
    It also makes a nice party food - you soften a bar of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, one can of drained tuna packed in water, a dash of lemon juice and dash of worcestershire sauce, and form together into a ball - sprinkle parsley on it to make it pretty (for a party) and it is delish - I always having people ask me how to make it and what's in it - I also serve with little bread - like the appetizer breads - they are thinner and smaller so may be more satisfying than on a cracker with not the full calories of breads. Remember, you are reason enough to make this and keep it around to eat some - doesn't have to be for parties.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinegar and white bean puree
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt or avocado.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I use light mayo (helmans-35 cal per serving) and very little of it (just enough to have it stick together). It's how I've always eaten tuna and tastes good to me!

This is what I do too. My mother made it soupy and I still have nightmares!
    Sometimes I'll just throw it on my salad but most of the time I use the light mayo.
  • JJPAL1
    JJPAL1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds really crazy but here goes. Good white tuna a little stong ground mustard, garlic powder is good enough but I started adding 1-2 tbsp fresh ground organic flax seeds, 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil. Very good with coconut oil. Whatever anyone says, our bodies need fat, especially our brain. Coconut oil has antibacterial and antiviral properties.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just throw Miracle Whip in it with diced onion. I'm a rebel without a cause.

i don't like full fat mayo. Normally I get lite mayo but my partner hates it so I compromised and got MW because I don't care either way, lol.
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    mustard hard boil egg, relish
  • SuziQueue
    SuziQueue Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I buy solid white (albacore) tuna in water, drain it, crumble it, and then add diced pickles and add a bit of the pickle juice for moisture. Lately, instead of making a tuna sandwich and having it with chips, I've started using the chips (cool ranch Doritos) as a scooper for the tuna (no bread). It's yum!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I like mixing it with avocado, actually! I'm not a fan of mayo, but my boyfriend is and he loves the avocado alternative.
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My mom mixes in avocado.
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I hate it with mayo, I much prefer tuna with avocado and black pepper...mmmmm so good!
  • JLWesterlund
    JLWesterlund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    good idea ... will have to try that :)
  • littlemiss165
    Options
    Miracle Whip light with a boiled egg and dill relish...

This is my favorite, sometimes a little yellow mustard if I need a change.