OMG CARBS ARE INDEED THE DEVIL HIMSLEF DISGUISED AS FOOD.

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Why would depriving your body of ANY crucial nutrient would be good, especially carbohydrates, which are the building blocks of energy?

Actually fat is the building main block of energy...? The reason carbs become what our bodies use to fuel themselves is because the average diet has such an over abundance of them coming in. Carbs are necessary to stimulate proper brain function, but it really doesn't take that many to do it...

I would like to see where you got that information from. >.>
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Or I could take the tack that a poster used in the "no carb" thread....

Low carb people choose that diet because they are addicted to meat! They can't stay away from meat and fat. They are weak, I tell you! (Just a little joke for the carb nazis, not intended for the polite low-carbers)

nom nom nom

I :heart: my high carb diet! :tongue:
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I agree 100%. Eat food that is good for you. I'm all about a whole foods plant-based way of eating.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Because not every person is the same - some people can't handle carbs well, or gluten, or lactose or even veggies.

Yes, eating less and doing something will help w/ weight loss, but not for every person out there.

I've found I'm gluten sensitive, lactose intolerant, I have alot of food allegeries and some medical issues. Once I altered my diet to reduce my carbs to 50-100 a day, I started to loose weight, feel better, have extra energy and wasn't sick all the time. I removed bread/wheats/grains and white totaoes & rice. But I love beans, and sweet potatoes and some other veggies not considered "carb" friendly because I like them and they don't make me sick.

But that is me - the next person may feel like crap cutting out carbs like do. I can't go much lower than 50 because then I do start to feel iffy and sluggish. My hubby has chol issues & thyroid problems, so if I made him eat like I do, it might make him worse. His carb level is 2-4 times higher, so we adjust what he eats to be as healthy as possible for him.

As long as a person makes their "diet" choices stick - that's the bigger goal. Yes, if I where to go back to eating like I used to, I'd probably regain weight. I ate low fat, higher carb "healthy" food and it never worked well long term. What I have changed now I've done in ways I can maintain and stick too, without feeling deprived and punished. I still eat some "treats" although I watch what is in them more than anything else. Not just carbs, but to see if they contain anything I know will cause me issues.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I have been counting calories in, calories out for over 2 years. I have stalled for the past year and a half. NOTHING worked. I am finally trying Atkins, and if you do your research before blasting low-carb plans, you'd know it doesn't elminate ALL carbs. The carbs just come from vegetables instead of bread. What's so wrong with that? Just because something works for you, it doesn't work for all of us. I am proud to say that Atkins IS helping me bust through this dreadful plateau, and I feel a million times better since starting the program.

To each their own...I'm really tired of hearing people blast others choices.

Do you know WHY it is working so well?

Yes, I do. I read the Atkins book, I fully understand why it works. As with any plan, you have to commit to doing it the rest of your life. I am. I'm not harming myself, I feel great, and I know what I'm doing and how to do it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    However, the same information is why it is NOT good for someone who wants to have a very active lifestyle!
    There are endurance athletes who eat low carb. Have a read at the recent book "Low carbohydrate performance" (or similar) by Volek & Phinney if you like research. The body carries a lot more energy reserves as fat than as carbs, I have been low carb for 2.5 years and I can ride my bike for 12 miles or walk and jog for a couple of hours, which is as active as I've ever been.
    Options

Why would depriving your body of ANY crucial nutrient would be good, especially carbohydrates, which are the building blocks of energy?

Actually fat is the building main block of energy...? The reason carbs become what our bodies use to fuel themselves is because the average diet has such an over abundance of them coming in. Carbs are necessary to stimulate proper brain function, but it really doesn't take that many to do it...

Honestly, why do you care so much?? If you're against it and argue everything people say to help explain it, then DON'T DO IT. It's simple. Live and let live.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Why is it that people seem to think there's some special "trick" or shortcut to losing body fat? Why is it that people try to over-complicate weight loss by making up all these tricks and tips and fad diets (like the low carb or Atkins diets) that will supposedly just melt the fat off your body?

Cause people are lazy.

Preach!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I have been counting calories in, calories out for over 2 years. I have stalled for the past year and a half. NOTHING worked. I am finally trying Atkins, and if you do your research before blasting low-carb plans, you'd know it doesn't elminate ALL carbs. The carbs just come from vegetables instead of bread. What's so wrong with that? Just because something works for you, it doesn't work for all of us. I am proud to say that Atkins IS helping me bust through this dreadful plateau, and I feel a million times better since starting the program.

Amen to that!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My uncle has this no carb mind-set and it makes me want to smack him! (my husband and I live with him and his daughter so we all eat dinner together every day) When he gets over 200lbs he goes no-carb for a week or two to drop the weight. He claims it works the best, even though I point out that he always gains it back, he doesn't look like he lost any weight, and the weight he does lose is just water weight. He has seen me successfully lose weight and keep it off with MFP and he still won't listen. it drives me crazy!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    My definition of carbs:

1. Carbs - processed foods made with white sugar, white flour, etc... It's that guy in the bar with five-o'clock shadow, that buys you a drink and you know the sex will be crazy good, but you'll wake up alone wanting more.
    2. Fruit Carbs - fruit... The guy who you have that on and off again relationship. Not too serious but you want more.
    3. Brown rice, wheat flour - The sensitive man who loves you, but deep down you want a man who's not so safe.

If you're into girls you can make up your own.

And this is what happens when I have down time at work.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Yes, I do. I read the Atkins book, I fully understand why it works. As with any plan, you have to commit to doing it the rest of your life. I am. I'm not harming myself, I feel great, and I know what I'm doing and how to do it.

The Atkins book is very biased and seems to twist a lot of information in it's favour.

Honestly, why do you care so much?? If you're against it and argue everything people say to help explain it, then DON'T DO IT. It's simple. Live and let live.

I'm actually not entirely against it - for the sake of losing weight, or living a very inactive lifestyle. I'm actually interested in doing it myself - to drop 30 lbs. I have read up on it, and understand what the body goes through, and why it works. However, if you wish to be very active, like riding a bicycle hard for 4 hours non-stop, you're not going to be able to keep up with the energy levels someone on a high carbohydrate diet will be able to.

If you'd like me to cite multiple sources, I can when I get back to my apartment. I've got books on this.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're diabetic you probably want to control your carb intake.
    That would be me. I do not know how people can consume almost 0 carbs. I used to eat a box of macaroni and cheese or a pkg of noodles at one sitting. I lower my carbs now to max of 150g. I am not depriving myself of anything and I can still have small/portion size amounts of it.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    well, my two cents. It does work, and it does work fast. But it's not the only way to lose weight. If you incorporate carbs it does take longer but who cares? What I've found to work for me is a simple calorie deficit with filling foods...and filling foods to me have a lot of protein, not carbs. Everyone's body is different and I think the bottom line comes to... do what is SUSTAINABLE and HEALTHY for you and your individual body chemistry.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Pro low-carber here :drinker:

You have a valid point stating eating healthy and exercising will cause weight loss, and hopefully everyone else here understands that concept as well. However, there are ways to speed up that process, and for me that has been doing low carb eating. I deprive myself of nothing, I eat what I like. However, I have learned to create food choices that automatically allow my carbs consumption to be low. I started this process four months ago. You can check in my photo album and see the progress photo showing the amount of actual fat, countless inches and 35 pounds lost. All of this since April, just 4 months!

20 pounds is a great accomplishment, so don’t let anyone take that away from you. However, you probably could have lost more weight by now doing low carb.. I’m just saying..
    Options

The Atkins book is very biased and seems to twist a lot of information in it's favour.

I'm actually not entirely against it - for the sake of losing weight, or living a very inactive lifestyle. I'm actually interested in doing it myself - to drop 30 lbs. I have read up on it, and understand what the body goes through, and why it works. However, if you wish to be very active, like riding a bicycle hard for 4 hours non-stop, you're not going to be able to keep up with the energy levels someone on a high carbohydrate diet will be able to.

If you'd like me to cite multiple sources, I can when I get back to my apartment. I've got books on this.

Well....I'm not riding my bike for 4 hours. I'm a normal person who runs 4 times a week, who has a job, a family and a life. I am not out to do some marathon so my plan will work for me. You say the Atkins book is biased and offer to site sources from your books. I'm guessing your books are just as biased? Honestly, I don't care. This is my choice, and yours is to eat carbs. Or not? I'm super confused. Either way, what YOU do isn't MY business. Again...why do you care so much?

This conversation is pointless. Again...if you don't agree it, don't do it. Let people choose the plan that works for them. *leaving conversation*
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Well put.
    Options

Well put.

:drinker: Ok. Seriously leaving now.
  • teamtutu
    Options
    I don't think that carbohydrates are the devil but I still choose not to eat many of them. The ones that I do eat are mostly from vegetables and nuts. The food I eat leaves me feeling satiated and happy. When I eat a more "balanced" diet I end up having a very hard time eating a low enough level of calories to offer me a reasonable deficit, considering my low BMR. I don't think it is a "fad" or stupid, it is just one strategy to achieve a calorie deficit. It is not magic. Eating 1200-1500 calories this way is very easy, I never have to white knuckle it. I can maintain my social lifestyle this way. I'm sure other people react differently to eating carbohydrates - but I only know how it works in my body.

I eat very low carb right now, but I plan to eat more when I reach a weight I'm happy with. Still, eating a moderate-carbohydrate diet (such as <100) is totally doable as a "lifestyle change" for me.

The other fallacy in the original post is the idea that low carb = high protein. Many low carb diets focus on increased fat consumption, not more protein. Fat is a great energy source - it has over twice the calories of carbohydrate and protein. Our bodies store fat for a reason :)
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Why is it that people seem to think there's some special "trick" or shortcut to losing body fat? Why is it that people try to over-complicate weight loss by making up all these tricks and tips and fad diets (like the low carb or Atkins diets) that will supposedly just melt the fat off your body?

Cause people are lazy.
    Ya know, this may sound mean, but I agree!
    I think people use this "weight loss requires all these complicated tricks" things to give themselves an EXCUSE not to try to lose weight. "Oh sure, she looks good but she probably has a personal trainer and everything to help her lose weight, because it's so complicated" kinda thing. XD
This discussion has been closed.