New C25K for the New Year

Options

Replies

• Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just started W1D1 today even though I did it a couple times last week. I am not good at running and I have always had trouble even when I was skinny. I guess it just takes practice. Anyway, I was tired after the workout but I think I did pretty good. I am planning on running M-F just so I can get ready for each of the following weeks. I don't know if this is too much but its all I'm doing for exercise along with weights alternating upper body and lower body each workout. I'd like to know what others think. Thanks!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I repeated W1D1 last night. I really do think that I could have moved on to W2D1, but sometimes we have to be flexible for others in our lives. If DH needs me to repeat W1 with him, I will. He just can't slow me down too much, I still have a run scheduled for April 10!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I just started W1D1 today even though I did it a couple times last week. I am not good at running and I have always had trouble even when I was skinny. I guess it just takes practice. Anyway, I was tired after the workout but I think I did pretty good. I am planning on running M-F just so I can get ready for each of the following weeks. I don't know if this is too much but its all I'm doing for exercise along with weights alternating upper body and lower body each workout. I'd like to know what others think. Thanks!

Of course, this comes with the disclaimer that I'm definitely no expert; I can only tell you what I know from my personal experience. The only thing I would caution you about running M-F is be careful with your knees & shins. If they start to hurt continuously, lay off the running & other high impact exercise for a few days. Running is about building up not only your cardiovascular endurance but also your muscle and bone strength. When you're just starting out, your joints and bones aren't used to the high impact and that can pretty easily result in an injury so listen to what your body is telling you & rest if you need to no matter how much you want to run.

For example, I was supposed to run last night but my quads & hammies were sore from exercise the day before so I just rode my stationary bike for an hour instead. I pushed it and ran on a sore hamstring before and all that did was give me an excruciatingly sore hamstring the next day (which kept me from running for many days). Also, when I first started I wanted to run every day to progress faster & pushed through knee pain to the point I could hardly walk at all & had to take a week and a half off all running and walking for exercise. I don't have time in my work schedule (8.30am-9pm) today or tomorrow to run, so I'm going to pick up Thursday & try w5d1.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I ran my first offical W1D1 last night and though I was still sore from Saturday I pushed through it and made myself finsh! Usually I would just give up so I was pretty excited. The weird thing was this morning I was actually less sore than yesterday!! And I really am wanting to run again tonight but I am going to do some strength training instead I think so I don't get hurt. BUT I am really looking foward to running again tomorrow night for W1D2!!
  • melissahager
    Options
    Found a Proform Wireless HRM for $65 and a Reebok Fitwatch 10S Strapless HRM Watch for $40. Votes?? Is the more expensive one better?? I know both have been mentioned in previous posts...
    Melissa
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Found a Proform Wireless HRM for $65 and a Reebok Fitwatch 10S Strapless HRM Watch for $40. Votes?? Is the more expensive one better?? I know both have been mentioned in previous posts...
    Melissa

I have a Proform and it works good for me. I can't really say much about the other two. My Proform is supposed to be Polar compatable and sync up to machines at the gym. I've only tried it once, but I couldn't get it to work.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Melissa

My understanding is that generally, HRMs with chest straps are more accurate.
    I got my Proform (with chest strap) for $25. It retails for $90. If you keep looking I bet you'll find a great deal on one.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I have not been doing very well at keeping to my schedule--so much going on around here! :grumble: We are rearranging the rooms so everyone has their own room--my son has been sleeping on the sofa--and I just haven't had the time to get all the days in for this. :angry:

We should be done after this weekend so I know I'll get back to it on a regular basis next week.:smile: On the bright side--I'll have a bigger room with enough space to workout in (I usually use the living room which is a problem on weekends!:tongue:)

I have a job interview tomorrow and will (hopefully) have to factor work into my schedule again!:happy:

Wish me luck (and I'm going to work a week one interval in this afternoon):happy: !
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I have a job interview tomorrow and will (hopefully) have to factor work into my schedule again!:happy:

Wish me luck (and I'm going to work a week one interval in this afternoon):happy: !

Good luck!!!

I should be back on track next week also... :angry:
  • melissahager
    Options
    I have NO motivation today. I didn't yesterday either during my Shred and therefore didn't even count it. So... do I give myself a break today or push through?
    Melissa
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I have NO motivation today. I didn't yesterday either during my Shred and therefore didn't even count it. So... do I give myself a break today or push through?
    Melissa

When was your last day off from exercise?
  • melissahager
    Options
    Melissa

When was your last day off from exercise?

I took Friday off (my schedule is to take every Friday off and then alternate the run with the Shred video the other 6 days). I think I am bored with my Shred video and need to move on the level 2- hence my motivation yesterday- and was looking for excuses not to exercise today!
    I did decide to do my run and I feel good that I did. I have just been in a blah mood the last few days for some reason! Should I be taking more than one day a week off? I'm worried that if I take more than that I may fall off the bandwagon quicker! And I figure that with a 6 day schedule if I do decide to take one day off because I feel lazy that would be acceptable now and again... but if I am only exercising 3-5 days a week I wouldn't be able to do that. Does that make sense?
  • tarafoss
    Options
    I started a few days ago and am still on week 1. I am hoping to do the Mother's Day 5k this year. :)
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did W1D2 last night! Felt great! I really didn't feel like running but once I was on the treadmill I was fine! See you Friday!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I'm finding I'm losing my motivation a little after being stuck on weeks 3 and 4 so long. I'm moving on to week 5 tonight because I just looked at it and I really think I can do it. W5D1 actually looks easier than week 4 to me. :smile:
    I think (and HOPE - he's a couple days late & paranoia's starting to kick in :laugh:) TOM's planning a visit in the next few days and that has routinely slowed me down as well. I just can't run when I'm bloated & crampy. Stupid being a girl stuff. Sorry TMI.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I have not been on this thread for a while...maybe because i hav not been doing the c25k in about a week or so..Tom was visiting and one excuse after another. but today i finally did week 7 day 1 ( i was towards the end of week seven but i though i would go back and do it again- since i have not done it in a while). It was not so bad. I ran slow for the most part...but atleast i did it. I am back on track with this program.

Good luck to everyone:happy:
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 done! :bigsmile:
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 done! :bigsmile:
    [/quote

Good for you!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • splooshcar
    Options

Ditto, jlb123.
    Even regular runners take recovery days. Running M-F when you are new to the exercise could cause you a lot of pain. The program is set up to progress slowly so you only need to run 3 days a week to see improvedment. Take Tues and Thurs off for some crosstraining (bike, aerobics, etc) to give your knees a break.
  • splooshcar
    Options
    I did W1D2 last night! Felt great! I really didn't feel like running but once I was on the treadmill I was fine! See you Friday!

Congrats Ash!
    Keep going, it gets easier. :)