"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people live in the politically correct fantasy land. Sorry for the people in TX that have never used the word or have and black friends that use the word. Im truly sorry that I have offended anyone. I love all black and white and mexican and canadian people.

its ok we like rednecks too
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<Moderator editing>>>>>
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I don't like the hyphen American, I feel that it separates people to much. I'm an American I was born and raised here. Black is ok, but if you want color, then everyone is a form of that color, brown, beige, tan, it gets confusing. The N word is a no-no, I feel it's like calling someone Fatty Fatty, name calling doesn't help anyone it just hurts. Just saying that people do stupid things. If you like person of color, or African American, then tell people what you prefer. I call my friends, My friends, and A**holes, A**holes, their color has nothing to do with it.

Nice post. You've got the picture. We're Americans, doesn't matter the color. We're people. Let's try and get along and make this world a better place.

This is one of my favorite threads ever.

<--Mexican-American. I am a proud hyphenator. I don't think it takes anything away from anyone else to recognize my heritage. Truthfully, even when I identify as 'just' American to other Americans, people inevitably ask 'yeah but what's your ethnicity?'. That's okay. I don't take offense to the question. I'm proud of my roots and I'm proud of my nationality. And I'll call myself what I want, thank you very much. :flowerforyou:

I really don't think it's fair for people to decide what other people should call themselves. Respect the differences, maybe learn a little something about why they choose what they choose, and move on. :smile:
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    I see a lot of people live in the politically correct fantasy land. Sorry for the people in TX that have never used the word or have and black friends that use the word. Im truly sorry that I have offended anyone. I love all black and white and mexican and canadian people.
    No love for us Asians? lol
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

And also scalp yourself while you're drunk and building a railroad across the west.

(Did I hit all the historical stereotypes there?)

Nope, you're missing one about Jewish people and money.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

You didn't particularly offend me... I realize that some white folk can get away with it... I just wasn't taught that it's ok... I was just more surprised at the non-chalance... and I was kinda irked that you made it seem that all Texans say things like that... particularly since parts of East Texas still has some racism problems... I still remember the time back in the late 90's where some white men lynched and dragged a black man through town on the back of their truck... In the 90's!!! I wanna say it was somewhere near Tyler... Jacksboro maybe?
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    How is it fantasy land if it's our reality?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Dude, seriously?? If that's you in that pic, who couldn't love that?!?!?!:flowerforyou:
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options

My dad is redneck!
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options

Dude, seriously?? If that's you in that pic, who couldn't love that?!?!?!:flowerforyou:
    lol so sweet and thank you =P and yes its me... showing the philippines flag on my back Proudly...
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have never been bothered by being called black or African American, the thing is with me is that my race shouldn't matter i dont judge people based on the color of there skin i base it on the character of the person.

25438163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

That's because MrsCCWoods you are a beautiful person!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    You are right, and this was Gosh---11 yrs ago. I know I would not react the same now, and again regret sharing my story and offending anyone.

Hang in there girl!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

My dad is redneck!

REAL STORY!!!
    there are black rednecks OMG back in VA at this building supply company I worked at I rode with this old guy named "Poke" one day in the truck the radio was on but it was turned down really low and Skynards sweet home alabama comes on and he quickly reaches for the volume knob and im like awww **** he's gonna shut this down. Swear to GOD he turns it up and starts singing ****ing flipped my **** out.
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chocolate awesome....I like that LOL!!!!
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80WjQcbxt54 Something is missing here????????
  • mamakjknows
    Options
    Quite frankly I hate it period when people feel the need to point out color--I have a name, it's Karen and that's who I am!!! But if I have to be "termed" then I would prefer being called black.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    REAL STORY!!!
    there are black rednecks OMG back in VA at this building supply company I worked at I rode with this old guy named "Poke" one day in the truck the radio was on but it was turned down really low and Skynards sweet home alabama comes on and he quickly reaches for the volume knob and im like awww **** he's gonna shut this down. Swear to GOD he turns it up and starts singing ****ing flipped my **** out.

LOL! I try to tell people that...When I tell them my dad wears a dirty azz truckers hat..he only Drinks Budweiser, he looks like Dale from King of the Hill...only black with no glasses...but my dad sounds like boomhower
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

Until you grasp that concept...you will not undestand this debate....

I was always taught that substituting a word for something else, doesn't really change it's meaning.[/b] In other words, I wasn't allowed to say words like 'crap' or '*kitten*'.

Thank you! If I EVER here my son saying that he will be toothless. It's not cute, endearing or anything else like that. There is so much negativity behind the true meaning of that word. Changing the spelling or pronunciation doesn't change the derivative or meaning.

Ok...So let me ask you this? Do you feel the word Boy is an offenssive word? How abou the word BAD?

Changging the delivery of the word DOES change the context of the word....If I said "What's up my N-gga"

That's not deragatory...

But I a middled aged southern racist white man said "Hi, Boy" to me.

I would be offended...

In my opinion, it does not matter where, why, or when the term, in any form, by anyone is an offensive term in all circumstances. Its' very sound is offenisive. It should never be uttered by anyone ever again. I think it is rediculous that the very people the term was used to so negativly refer to find it so 'hip' to refer to themselves so generously. "Brother' use to be the term shared by blacks. How did this horrible word ever come to be so excepted by the very culture it mocked?

I have read that the word came from the River Niger and was used to refer to the first sighting of people in Africa in the area. The Europeans didn't know what they saw so they referred to them as simply Nigers, meaning 'Black' or 'Black spirits'.

Regardless it finally came to express the foulest of meaning against our fellow human beings. I renounce its' use. Shame on anyone who speakes or thinks it. A White Guy
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    REAL STORY!!!

LOL! I try to tell people that...When I tell them my dad wears a dirty azz truckers hate..he only Drinks Budweiser, he looks like Dale from King of the Hill...only black with no glasses...but my dad sounds like boomhower

:laugh: That's awesome!!!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I think instead of white I want to be called German-American. I'm pretty proud of my pinkish color, huge bone structure, high tolereance for alcohol, and love of bratwurst! :drinker: