Zumba?!

124»

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    I have lost 46 pounds and my lost is from a combo of Zumba classes and spinning classes, I do 2 spinning classes a week and about 3 zumba classes.... working on becoming a Zumba instructor so I can shead the last 70lbs I have left to lose!

I think if you get a good instructor it is an amazing workout!!!

Congrats on your success! My new gym doesn't have spin class and I miss it so much! Good luck with the rest of your journey.
  • Zumba doesn't get boring, that is why it is such a great thing to do for your body. You can burn as much as you do running for an hour and not feel you just ran for an hour. I am an instructor and LOOOVVVEEE the energy. Hope you enjoy it!
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    I love zumba, i have toned up a lot just doing that, i agree i havent lost a ton of weight but i have lost a lot of inches, i go almost everyday out of the week but i have different instructors and their music and intensity levels are different, some play just the zumba songs which are mostly spanish, some incorporate hip hop, and others have incorporated pop music as well it depends on the instructor though. I also do weight training as well i started getting back into that, i do hip hop abs, and i might get back into taking step class again, i try to switch up my routines so my body doenst get use to the same thing. But i am a heavier person so i burn close to 800 calories in 45 minutes. But if you love to dance you will love zumba, and yes i have done it for 2 years and soem of the moves i still dont get, i just laugh and have fun
  • i love it!!! it is my favorite type of cardio! so much fun!!!! great big burns as well!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Yep. I lost 20 lbs doing nothing but Zumba (didn't even change my diet, though I was eating healthy already). I still do it often and I'm sure will do it even more once it's too cold to exercise outside.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Zumba has been a great fill-in exercise for me. I really enjoy walking, but sometimes its very monotonous. If you're not too coordinated, it might lend itself to be very frustrating, but still fun lol
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Totally depends on your teacher. I adore mine, and she has both the choreography and fitness background to make even traditional dance moves work hard for their money. Example: Merengue March ... if you twist at your waist, not at your knees, it does very very very nice things to your waist line. Belly dancing ... hip hits -- totally kill the abs. I usually burn ~600 calories in an hour class dancing hard
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    I love, love, love Zumba. It has completely transformed the way I look at exercise. I got the Wii game in February and have been doing it at least 3 times a week ever since. I took a big step a few weeks ago and started going to actual classes - I'm completely addicted. I use zumbacalories.com to figure out how much I burn and my classes are high-intensity, so I usually burn around 900 calories. When I finish a class, I'm drenched in sweat and look absolutely disgusting, but I feel amazing.

It also helps that I have an amazing instructor. She just got certified as an instructor in July, so her classes are on the small side, which I love, and she's lost 71 lbs since February from doing Zumba, so she really has that drive to help us get that kind of results.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    From a Spanish dance point of view, it's kind of fun. I don't find it to be an intense workout though so I wouldn't suggest making it your only form of exercise unless you are quite sedentary and have a lot to lose.

I posted a link on this thread to a YouTube video of a class taught by a man. If you are moving like he moves in this class it is a very intense cardio workout. As with any exercise it is what you put into it. Obviously there are some girls in the class that are not working as hard as him but they are working at their level.

Here is the link again: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54

After you do what he does let me know if you still think it is not intense, lol.

I didn't mean to come off rude, I promise. I just meant that I prefer running or working on the eliptical for endurance cardio. I enjoy Zumba, it just felt more like fun then cardio. I guess that's a plus side lol.

Having said all of that, Spanish dancing isn't exactly new to me so it truly is a personal preference.

Well, what you are doing seems to be working good for you:). I didn't think you were rude I had just happened to watch this video yesterday and was totally impressed by the instructor. So, when you said it wasn't intense I thought you should check out this guys class. It looks really fun and REALLY hard. I really like the eliptical as well but mine broke a couple weeks ago and the funds to replace wont be coming in for a while:grumble: Hence the need to be online looking for great cardio workouts. Good job with your fitness journey btw.
  • sherimacquarrie
    sherimacquarrie Posts: 69 Member
    Having great success with Zumba circuit! Its Zumba but with weights and some mat work at the end!! Love it, I sweat like crazy!! I go two nights a week, and LOVE going!!!
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Anyone had success with Zumba?

Love Zumba and the Zumba toning incorporates weights. It is good cardio if you do the high intensity level.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    From a Spanish dance point of view, it's kind of fun. I don't find it to be an intense workout though so I wouldn't suggest making it your only form of exercise unless you are quite sedentary and have a lot to lose.

I posted a link on this thread to a YouTube video of a class taught by a man. If you are moving like he moves in this class it is a very intense cardio workout. As with any exercise it is what you put into it. Obviously there are some girls in the class that are not working as hard as him but they are working at their level.

Here is the link again: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54

After you do what he does let me know if you still think it is not intense, lol.

I didn't mean to come off rude, I promise. I just meant that I prefer running or working on the eliptical for endurance cardio. I enjoy Zumba, it just felt more like fun then cardio. I guess that's a plus side lol.

Having said all of that, Spanish dancing isn't exactly new to me so it truly is a personal preference.

Well, what you are doing seems to be working good for you:). I didn't think you were rude I had just happened to watch this video yesterday and was totally impressed by the instructor. So, when you said it wasn't intense I thought you should check out this guys class. It looks really fun and REALLY hard. I really like the eliptical as well but mine broke a couple weeks ago and the funds to replace wont be coming in for a while:grumble: Hence the need to be online looking for great cardio workouts. Good job with your fitness journey btw.

Awh that sucks! Might I suggest spin class? Even with a bad knee it went well for me. If you don't have a full gym member ship they are about $10 a class usually!
  • wendybrat75
    wendybrat75 Posts: 52 Member
    I do Zumba 3 days a week & I love it!
  • I actually became a Zumba instructor because Zumba helped me SO much! I have to credit Zumba to at least 40lbs of my 80 lost!!!! I love Zumba and all I want to do is pay it forward to others! Good luck! My advice is ask around, I always offer a free 1st class for those that want to try it out but aren't sure whether it's for them, or if you belong to a gym, there should be classes that are part of your membership!
  • bsnmomtomany
    bsnmomtomany Posts: 24 Member
    I've been doing Zumba for about 6mos, it was the first exercise I ever wanted to go back to the gym and do again. I have lost almost 35# and several inches doing zumba and strength training.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    I burned 125 cals in an hour of Zumba. Total waste of time for me.
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    I had a lot of fun with it and it allowed me to workout with a friend who was not at my level yet. So, that was good too. But, I did not really see results with it. I may just use it as a maintenance workout and something to break up other workouts.
  • zumba is AMAZING!

I honestly had never felt so good about myself/my body, as I did when I was taking Zumba. However, to get (in my opinion) the most out of your workout, you actually have to attend the classes....which is hard for me since I work 50+ hours a week and have a 3 year old. lol. I tried the Wii thing...but it was honestly easier for me to follow an instructor. It is a great workout and you can really feel the results! AND- most importantly- ITS FUN!:)
  • lashwish
    lashwish Posts: 93
    I love Zumba!
    Its not the only cardio I do but I love it. You can make it as hard as you want.
    I can burn over 700cals in some classes.
    I havent had a class in weeks & Im dying for it!
    I have vids to do at home but just not the same.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!