300 lbs and ran my 2nd 5K. I feel like a superhero! (w/pics)

Options

Replies

• kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    proud of you! keep up the great work!
  • TheMisses22
    TheMisses22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great Job!! You have inspired me and I am sure that you inspired runners and spectators today while running! Good for you :happy:
  • AlyiEli2017
    AlyiEli2017 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Congrats, what you are doing is amazing. We all break down, get short winded, its okay. Keep pushing. I am very, very happy for you!!!
  • gigibenton
    gigibenton Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Pure awesomeness in every way! Love your story...and mindset. We could all learn a lesson in determination from you!:flowerforyou:
  • aree2525
    aree2525 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    internet-high-five-place-hand-here-480x444.jpg

That is AWESOME!!!
    YAY!
  • mojosister
    mojosister Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You inspire me! I'm training now for my first 5k at the end of September.thank you so much for posting this!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I'd like to say that I was able to run the whole thing straight without stopping, but that's not true. I'm not there yet but I'm getting there! The first mile was easy and the rest required a lot of walking/running/walking/running. That's fine for me :-)

My doctor was really great and told me I could run so long as I listened to my body and stopped and slowed if I felt real pain. I was injured earlier this summer when I was running. I did some damage to a tendon in my foot, but it wasn't the end of the world. I had to take it easy and I couldn't run for a while, but I could still walk and still use the elliptical. I spent a lot of time not running because I was afraid of getting hurt. I think you can get hurt even if you are in shape. I didn't want to not run out of fear anymore.

I'd also like to point out that I'm slow. When I first started my "running" speed was like, 3.8 on the treadmill. I've worked up to 4.8 and I know that's still slow and I can't maintain the 4.8 through the whole time. I fluctuate from 4.5-4.8 and I think that's ok too. I mean, we have to start somewhere. If I wait for the magical moment to start running I may never start. Slow is good enough for me and I love seeing my time get faster!

There are a couple more 5Ks in my future for this year, and next year I'd like to step it up to a 10K or even a half. I can't wait until running a 5K is a warm-up for the rest of my workout!!!
  • Terryj20
    Terryj20 Posts: 33
    Options
    You are amazing!
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    **** yeah girl, you are amazing. Reading this made me tear up a little.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You are my hero. :flowerforyou:
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Now that is amazing. Congrats. Must be really proud of yourself. :)
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story! You go girl!
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I'm from the "I'm not going to run unless I'm being chased by rabid badgers," school of thought (I just prefer other forms of exercise), but congratulations!

Our bodies are amazing things if we let them be. Kudos to you for pointing your body in the right direction - forward!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Girl, you've got me grinning from ear-to-ear over here! You are going to go far in life--nothing will be able to stop you!
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    internet-high-five-place-hand-here-480x444.jpg

That is AWESOME!!!

LMAO! THIS ^^^^^
    WAY TO GO! You are inspiring me to try it!
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You are my hero! I have zero excuse to not get my butt out the front door!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You are a superhero! I started when I had lost about 30 pounds and got just under 200. I now have two marathons and several halfs under my belt, along with so many other races I don't even bother to count :smile: Through this crazy journey to live and be healthier we find out just how strong we really are! I think you're amazing!
  • Lshona
    Lshona Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    wow! I want you to know that you have just inspired me. I weigh 305 right now and thought to myself just this week... I'm still WAY too big to run no point in even trying!

Well obviously that's horse**** so thank you for showing me that I was just making another excuse for myself. I am going to start the C25K immediately.

Thank you again for all your hard work it has showed me what is possible.

I started with C25K back in February. I was so upset at first because the week 1 was hard. SO hard. And after week 1 there was no way I was ready for week 2. Instead of stopping, though, I just repeated week 1 until I could do it without any trouble. I think I repeated it 4 or 5 times. Every week was easier and then I moved on to week 2 of the program and I repeated that twice before I could move on to week 3.

I think it's a great program but you shouldn't feel like you can't alter it to your own progress. I was around 320 when I started the program I think, and I could barely run for ten seconds let alone a minute, but I remember the exact moment I was running and I glanced down and realized I'd gone for a minute and a half straight and it felt like winning every race ever. I think I did a little dance on the treadmill. After that I felt unstoppable. A minute and a half. At the time it might as well have been a year and a half for as possible as I thought it could be. Now? No sweat! And if I can do it, you sure can!!!!
  • wendirhodes
    wendirhodes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You rock girlfriend!!!! I've been shying away from trying the 5K. You're a true inspiration!!! I hope you can hear all of us cheering you on when you go to do your next 5K!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!