300 lbs and ran my 2nd 5K. I feel like a superhero! (w/pics)

Options

Replies

• Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    That's fantastic. Well done!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    That is beautiful. Keep on running. Keep on breaking your own records. You're a great inspiration for anyone who says they can't do it.

I couldn't put it better than this!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    And you should feel like a super hero. Congrats and kep it going.
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    That is beautiful. Keep on running. Keep on breaking your own records. You're a great inspiration for anyone who says they can't do it.

I couldn't put it better than this!
  • ktull68
    ktull68 Posts: 19
    Options
    It's individuals like you that inspire me!! You give me reason to quit feeling sorry for myself (when that happens) and just get out there
    no matter what and run. God bless your positive spirit!
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration, I am in awe!
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Way to show people you can run at any size! Way to go! :)
  • jessababy22
    Options
    Truly inspirational! Don't ever give up because you are amazing!!!!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    wow such an inspiration i guess people who say i shouldnt run i am to heavy are wrong your proof!!!!
  • Jenks9
    Jenks9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's AWESOME! I have been walking because I thought/felt too heavy to run. I have lost 47 pounds and I have been asking myself when do I think I am going to get to that magic weight where I am small enough to run. YOU have INSPIRED me! Great job and thanks for sharing!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you give me hope. I'm running a 5k in December currently 309 lbs started the negative talk (I'll never be able to do this)
    but you have inspired me. I'm signing up! thanks for the inspiration

Oh my gosh, yes you can! December is plenty of time to train up! I know when I started running I had many days of "I'll never be able to do this." I think I mentioned in another comment that when I started I was doing barely more than a "shuffle run" and I couldn't sustain that for more than 10-20 seconds. It was so hard and it never felt like I could breathe! I started the C25K program but I was not in shape enough to complete week 1. I repeated week 1 four or five times before I was able to move on and it was hard to keep telling myself I was eventually going to be able to run straight for a minute. I was eventually going to run straight for three minutes. But when I stopped and really paid attention to what was happening, by the third week of "shuffle running" I had moved my speed up to a 4.1 and it no longer resembled a shuffle. I was picking my feet up and putting them down more quickly. I wasn't getting winded by the 20 second mark. Then I wasn't winded by the minute mark. Then the minute and a half flew by without me gasping for breath. I was diligent about getting to the gym 5-6 days a week. I lifted weights. I did knee strengthening exercises. I started doing squats.

Let's be honest, I'm still slow. I'm not going to win any races just yet, and I still have to walk sometimes. But I no longer have to walk for 5 minutes to get my breath back. 30 seconds to a minute and I'm ready to go again. I'm not running 12 minute miles - I'm pleased if I can run a 16 or 17 minute mile.

I still sometimes have to go home and ice my foot. It still hurts sometimes and I still get out of breath, especially when I am pushing my limits. It's not always fun, especially on days when I feel slower than I did the day before. Even though it might feel like it sometimes, running isn't going to kill you. You might look silly and graceless, I know I do, but eventually I'll look like I'm about to star in an action movie. My weight loss hasn't always stayed steady, but I've always improved my running. Every time I go to the gym I do a little better or it feels a little less hard.

I think as long as you listen to your body for real pain - not the OMG I CAN'T DO THIS fake pain - I mean the real pain that comes from pulling something or spraining something, you can run even if you are 300+ lbs. Even if you only run for 10 seconds. Even if your run doesn't look much like a run. You have to start somewhere. If your doctor thinks you can start slow, do it.

Good luck!! Please don't think you can't do it because you're not thin enough or in shape enough. That's like saying you're not smart enough to go to school. You have to start somewhere no matter what weight you're at.

And OH THANK YOU everyone for your comments. You've inspired me to keep pushing forward! I am going to come back and read this thread every time I feel down. Every time I need to feel like a superhero :-)
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Way to go!!!
  • bethob2003
    Options
    wow! that must feel so good !!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are a superhero!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You're incredible! I still can't get past my first km without getting winded....You're my inspiration, OP :flowerforyou:
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, supergirl! I am so inspired. I always thought that I couldn't run until I hit 160 because it would be too hard on my joints. But apparently not! Now I just have to get up the courage to run on the treadmill at the gym.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, way to go girl!!!! Cross train and just keep going!!!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed with what you have done. I started running 4 years ago and I love it and whar it has done for me. You have just blasted the "I can't run" talk out of the window. Anyone can run if they put their mind to it and learn the techniques to have a successful run. I usually find that whenever people say they can't do something it is because they don't want to do it.

I am so happy for you and look forward to hearing about your next 5K or what ever distance you chose to run.

G1 :smile:
  • stacygb
    stacygb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!! Thanks for motivating me!
  • sherimacquarrie
    sherimacquarrie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!