?: Doc says my boobs are too big to run?

Options

Replies

• JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I call BS on that one. I was 32 G when started running.

^^ This. I'm a 36DDD and weigh 170. I do half marathons. I have some issues with my knees but those that to do with shoes not my boobs or weight. Buy a good bra (I use Moving Comfort's Fiona bra), good shoes, and listen to your body.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36D and run and play football (soccer) get a decent sports bra and you will have no problems :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Get a GOOD sports bra. . .a GOOD one, some GOOD running shoes (go to a speciality store to get fitted) and then follow a running plan to get to your desired distance/time/speed.

It seems logical that you should be able to just go out and run. BUT, if you follow a training plan, it will help you avoid injury by keeping you from over doing it. . .consider that a voice of experience.

I was a 38C/36D @ 5'5" 155 lbs when I stared running. The girls are MUCH smaller now, but THEY were never the cause of my running discomfort or injury. . .my ignorance and over training, THAT was the problem.

I'm VERY skeptical of your doctor's advice.
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    blah, that's why my grandmother always said that doctors "practice medicine". hee hee, not to be a jab at doctors, but you really just have to listen to what your body is telling you. How will you know if you will have back and joint issue if you don't try?

I'm currently at 214 pounds, 36D, and I'm doing the C25K program with no problems at all. A good sports bra and attitude go a long way. :) Good luck!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    mine are the same size (weight's less) and i don't have a problem. a very good (tight) sports bra will help however listen to your body. if you start slow and gradually increase the amount of time running (not speed) it will make a difference. it's very important to listen to your body though.
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is an idiot. I started running at 5'7" 219lbs with 38DD tatas. I'm currently 188lbs with 36D's, and I'm getting ready to run my first 5k in October. :)

THIS!!

I'm 5'3 38DD store brand and 36G in specialty shops and I run over 3 miles with ease. My doctor knows I run and encourages me to do so, my weight when I started running was 168 and I'm 146 now. Get a good sports bra, I personally wear a good regular bra with a champion sport bra over top and i'm held in place nicely with NO bouncing at all and my back NEVER aches after a run.
  • you can sart with a brisk walk and do it for a longer intervals may be 30/45 minutes depending upon your stamina and do running initially for 30 secs after a month of cardio. you can increase your running intervals later from seconds to minutes. i believe it should not be difficult if you maintain a slower pace and reduce your weight initially with walking and maintaing a proper deficit in your daily calories...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I know lots of bigger chested ladies who run. They just have awesome bras.

Always get a second (third, and fourth) opinion when someone tells you that you can't do something you want to do.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?

Am a 36DD and run all the time.
    Was running when I was 40lbs heavier.
    A decent bra is all you need. Like a real decent one.
  • hazel240
    hazel240 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?

I was a DDD when I started running. Of course that's the first area I've started losing in, though - I'm probably a DD now but I'm holding off on buying new bras. If you get a very supportive sports bra, I don't see why it would be a problem. I was actually just thinking of this yesterday morning on my run - that my boobs really don't bounce as much as I thought they originally did. And I just use Fila sports bras from Kohls!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is crazy to me. I wear a 36D/34DD and have never been told anything by a doctor (and I see several doctors, all the time!). By chance, is your female doctor kind of stacked? I wonder if this is more anecdotal advice from her (doctors can be guilty of that type of advice, too).

Then again, I do have wicked shoulder/back pain, so maybe there's that?
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have D/DD (depending on the bra brand) and I run just fine, 4-6 days a week. Moving Comfort sports bras are a godsend for me. Just get into running slowly so you can strengthen your joints and get them used to a higher-impact sport while doing something like circuit training, biking, or the elliptical to strengthen your back and muscles while you get started.

To big of boobs... *shakes head* maybe your doctor is telling you he appreciates your rack and doesn't want you to lose it :p
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I'm a 36D and I run 5 miles a day, 3-4 times a week.

That doctor is crazy! Buy a good sports bra...maybe even double up if you have to!
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34DD and have been running since I was a 38E. A really good sports bra is essential (I use Shock Absorber's highest level), but I've never had any problems with my back when running.
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    <<<36 DD here and I have lost 45 lbs running!!!! I started at 240 lbs. Dr.s are not always right. Buy a HRM, stay in your range and jog. As you get better your muscles and joints will be stronger and you can increase speed! :)
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    BS...my friend runs with her gianormous TaTa's. Even continued to run while preggo when they almost doubled in size. Invest in quality sports bras (my friend would actually wear two while running) and listen to your body.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't know 'til you try, really. One of my bestfriend's has 34DDs, and she's lost an incredible amount of weight - lots of walking, weight lifting, using the elliptical and bikes. And with some running, though she didn't seem to particularly enjoy that part; whether that was due to boobs, back, or just general dislike, I'm not sure.
    You can do circuits without running. Substitute running with uphill biking, perhaps. Biking doesn't seem to have the same bounce factor (:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You just need some super supportive sport bra, most of the pain is caused due to the girls not having good support. When they are not supported and are left to bounce they cause the vibration with each step, this is when your back steps in and acts as a shock absorber. And over time your back could only do so much before like all shock absorbers it will need to be replaced (not a good option for humans).

So as long as you make sure you have very little movement, you can run all you want.
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is an idiot. That being said, he probably just wants you to be aware of injury and you need tons of support. I'm about the same size as you now but when I started running I was about 220 and a 42DD. I wore a regular wired bra with a sports bra over to help keep them close :) It worked very well. I still run this way because it keeps everything in check and allows me a great "no moisture" place to keep my ipod. LOL Just be aware of your body and don't push through pain, if it hurts stop.
  • aatlchavens
    aatlchavens Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?

I started out as a 38DD and ran. I've lost about 55 lbs now and still have huge knockers at a 36D and I run. I have to wear a regular bra under a sports bra to control the girls (I have yet to find the sports bra of my dreams), but it works.