WTF????

Options

Replies

• ctwm84
    ctwm84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not all restaurants have bad menus. There are a couple salads from Sharis that I can have, and Applebees has a low calorie section on their menu and so does BJs brewhouse. You really just have to research your local area restaurants and I garuntee you will find at least some that will have something you can eat. Plus there is always soup and salad. My bigger beef with restaurants is the crazy amount of sodium in everything.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Maybe not the best choice but at least it's filling! I went to five guys for lunch today and ate probably 800 cals worth of food, but ended up under my calorie goal just because I wasn't hungry for most of the day after that.

5 guys is evil incarnate! The devil in restaurant form.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I ate Arby's Turkey Asiago sandwich the other day and was very surprised at how many calories was in it. *kitten*, I could've eaten something so much better!!!!

Im finding my train of thought is running more and more this way. I tend to reconsider the calories and determine if there is something Id rather have and enjoy more for the same amount.

eta: I discovered Saturday that a favorite sub of mine at Milios is dang near 1200 calories. WTH....I can do serious damage to 1200 with ten times the food and it'd all be HEALTHY
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Arby's should be called SALTY's....The sodium in their sandwiches are DEATH!

I agree. They have good shakes and fries, but so much of their food is wayyyyy over-salted.

Usually, if I "have" to eat there, I'll have a side salad with no cheese and dressing or one of their grilled chicken salads (again, no cheese/dressing) and a giant diet peach iced tea.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    A good book with nutritional information for lots of fast food chains is The Calorie King: Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter. I don't eat fast food, but it has a lot of other features that I use, for example, if I want to quickly compare the fat in different cuts of steak.

Also, I have to agree, 600 calories for a sandwich isn't all that much, especially since it is the whole meal (ideally). I eat about 1600 a day, and I'm not a breakfast person, so a 500-800 calorie lunch is typical for me.

Edit: Fast food salads are the devil, by the way. The way they load cheese, dressing, croutons, and bacon, you'd be better off just getting the damned hamburger to begin with!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Oh and if I really want the french fries I've learned to snag a few off my BF's plate or if I'm there alone I order the child size, have 5-10 and then immediately toss the rest. I know its weird but it's prevented me from going crazy over french fries because they're a huge weakness for me!

that's actually not weird at all. i told my husband the next time we eat out i was ordering a salad instead and i'd get a kid's fries since i love french fries. ;)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people equate "low in calories" with "healthy"?

For many, lowering their calories first is their main focus. They first learn to eat smaller portions and fruits/veggies are usually lower calorie items as compared to a burger and fries.

I personally focused on lower calories and portion sizes when I started. Now learning everything I have in the last few years, I eat plenty of higher calories healthy foods (like peanut butter, almonds, avocado, etc YUM!) and feel full, satisfied, and I know they are good for me regardless of their calorie content. ;)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Maybe not the best choice but at least it's filling! I went to five guys for lunch today and ate probably 800 cals worth of food, but ended up under my calorie goal just because I wasn't hungry for most of the day after that.

Not if you're on keto and you nix the bun and fries!

....which is why I don't go there because their bacon cheeseburger doesn't taste that good without the fries. I just make my own bacon cheeseburger at home. It's just as good, to be honest!
  • BmoreGinger
    Options
    Not to sound extreme, but we've come to the conclusion there are just some places that aren't worth our time. Why would I go to McDonalds for a small fry (still bad for you) and maybe one of there half-okay salads (also bad for you) when I could go to a healthy place OR just eat at home. Not going to Arby's may feel like a sacrifice, but in the big picture it's not that serious.

When people invite me to do unhealthy things I either respectfully decline or ex;lain I'll be going, but not going to eat. I'd eat ahead of time and just get something to sip on and chat with everyone else while they ate.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    LOL! I know what you mean! Anytime Ihave to eat fast food, unfortunately, I always opt for a salad with limited dressing. And we wonder why so many folks are overweight??? Eating healthy is not only expensive, it's very time consuming. Hang in there! :smile:

A head of lettuce isn't all that expensive...

Yeah if all you eat is luttuce.. I walked out of our store Green peppers alone range from $1-$2.50 each then to buy those other good for you veggies, carrots, cauliflower yams and you know iceburge is not that nutrtional alone so you go for the romaine and other greens. fresh spinach etc I walk out of our store spending $35 or more just in that part alone not to include your meats fruits grains. Basic stuff you need for a healthy diet. Alot more expensive than going in and buying just protein powder,milk yogurt and a few diet protein bars.. Eating fresh and healthy does cost more..Gardening is good in the summer to save some bucks..
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I go on line before I go out to eat. Most of the chains have posted their nutrition info. If they don't they don't get my business.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I go on line before I go out to eat. Most of the chains have posted their nutrition info. If they don't they don't get my business.

This! Seriously, companies. It's 2012. Put your stuff online!

McAlister's Deli has an AWESOME nutrition calculator where you can add/subtract ingredients with a full nutrition chart. I wish other companies would take their example!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Arby's turkey bacon WRAP is AT LEAST 600 calories?????????? What the hell??? OMG. I am so freaking pissed. I guess NO WHERE has anything healthy. So what do you do? Decline all invites from family/friends when they wanna go out to eat?? What is wrong with all these fast food places?? And sit down restaurants are no better, probably are even worse. That's ridiculous. SCREW ARBY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at this as a learning experience. A lot of us know that fast food isn't great for us, but we don't realize just how over the top it is regarding calories and salt until we start paying attention. I had a real craving for McD's the other day after a long hike, so I looked up the details and decided that a kid's burger and fries were enough to satisfy the craving without making me regret it! Now that you know what's going on, you are better equipped to make good choices.

If a lot of your social activity revolves around food (isn't that always the way!?) you could try initiating social experiences that involve healthier food, or no food. If you can get some of your friends or family to participate in healthier activities, that benefits everyone.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    You live in a reasonably sized town. If you need to eat out for whatever reason (time, convenience, social, etc.), why are you at Arby's? You may as well write that you went to Vegas and were shocked to discover gambling everywhere...

I eat out all the time on business. I can always find healthy options at reasonable prices. A good chicken Caesar salad, for example, or a tuna salad (not the American version filled with mayo on bread, but an actually green salad with chunks of tuna on top, olives, onions, etc.); grilled chicken breast with veggies, etc., etc. Tons of options for close to the same price as an Arby's meal. Drink water, as well, further lowering the cost.

And if you must pay an extra dollar or two, you'll make that back with significantly lower health care costs in 10 years.

--P
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Something with bacon and wrapped in a tortilla that likely has some sort of sauce on it is high in calories?! *gasp* screw that, I'm gonna go eat nutella.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options

I wonder, too. :frown:
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So don't eat at Arby's. Problem solved.
  • punk_uss
    punk_uss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem while traveling this weekend. I was driving on the highway and didn't have time to stop for long (aka eating in the car) and had not been home for a while to pack a head. Needless to say, I blew it one my healthy eating. I did some quick research this morning on the web in addition to surfing this message board.

Here was a good site that I found on the web for all of you that would like some additional information:
    https://www.drgourmet.com/health/fastfood//

In short, plan ahead and pack a lunch! :)
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I wonder, too. :frown:

I think the premise is that the healthier foods (many of them) tend to be low in calories: Fruits/veggies/ lean meats. Not saying cheese, bacon, avocado, etc aren't healthy, but, in an attempt to cut calories (if thats the plan being followed) Cheese Bacon avacodo etc, are things that I tend to limit due to the high calorie. I DO have them if I want, just not as often or as much.

The things that get me, are the 'low calorie' items that are - what I consider unhealthy. Sugar Free, Fat Free and some LIGHT things, a lot of these (though not all) are pumped full of other stuff to compensate for the missing taste.

In general I personally (not saying this applies to everyone), try to eat real foods just in moderation. I was eating light or ff american cheese, and realized there wasn't much of a calorie difference (like 20 per slice) - so I stick with the real cheese. Sometimes I'll use a portion of something real, then bring in some of the 'light' stuff so I get the flavor with less calories ( I do this with mozzerella for pizza, I use half FF and half skim - I get the flavor with a fraction of the calories).

Anyhow - that's how I handle it. And no, I don't think FF cheese is healthier than regular. but in a pinch, to save calories, I'll sometimes (if it's worth it - in the case of pizza - it is!)

For personal reasons, I've given up 99% of all artificial sweeteners. I think there is some in my protein powder, but thats the only one I allow.

Just my opinion..
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I love Five Guys so much. They have the only burgers I actually like. I've only eaten there twice this year, though, once being this past Saturday. It was DELICIOUS. Hubby and I decided to go there after a movie, so I checked the website to see how many calories I'd need. Ate light most of the day, squeezed in a quick workout and I was still under my calorie goal.