?: Doc says my boobs are too big to run?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Unless its actual medical advice, I tend to ignore my doctor. They are wind bags that should keep their head in medicine and not meddle in other aspects of life.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    very few doctors took any nutrition or conditioning classes while on their way to become a medical doc. I know we're supposed to "check with your doctor before starting an exercise program" but beyond a physical- I dont want their advice. I want someone versed and educated in fitness to guide me with fitness. I have the same chest you do- but I weight about 30#s less. I have always done jumping jacks, fast feet and I run. Put on 2 bras- Ive only just tried that and its genius! As for your back- I wont give advice- Im not sure about your history and an expert should be who you consult. I just wanted to let you know - those size breasts CAN RUN. You're welcome :wink:
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I call BS on that one!!! I have an ample chest (38 D) and am certainly no thin (not fat, but I need/want to drop about 25 pounds), and I have done 3 and 5 k runs. Buy a good jogging bra (it needs to have cups, that way the girls are supported separately) and I usuually still put on a firm sports bra to add some extra support!!! I suggest that you start slowly (C25K is a great way to begin) and stretch!!!! Doctors tend to have negative views on running, but if you do any form of exercise properly, and listen to your body (no one expects you to run a marathon your first time out) you will achieve your fitness goals!!!!
  • bexxxster
    bexxxster Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34DD and I don't really have any problems running. :)
  • koyongi
    koyongi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort

This. Find a store that carries the Moving Comfort line (try a good running store), or find them online and try a couple out. They have some incredibly heavy duty ones, and they're super cute.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

Mine are that size and I run and my back is fine.
  • skinny_cigarettes
    Options
    i used to be 187 (i'm 5'4) and was a 34F/36F and i was still able to run, just not very far. if i were you just get some good support and take it easy, build up to running, maybe try something like couch to 5 k? :)
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like nonsense!!

I'm 150lbs and a 34E and I've started running!! Used to run the 1500m and 800m at school when I was a 32DD! Just buy a good quality sports bra - I have a shock absorber and it's brilliant! xx
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Maybe slightly off-topic - Most of the posters in this thread claim to be DD. It's convenient to be a D/DD because lingerie stores like Victorias Secret sell that size, but it's most likely that many of you are actually an E F or G cup or even above... I highly recommend going to a reputable lingerie store (not VS) and getting a fitting. Most women are wearing the wrong bra size and don't know it because their favorite bra retailer doesn't sell anything over a DD+!
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely question that doctor's advice! Big boobs can be a difficult, no doubt. But, if you want to run you should. It's such a great exercise, inexpensive, do anywhere and one of the fastest ways to burn calories and crank up your heart rate. As a big boobed runner myself, I suggest finding a good sports bra or two--no joke. My chiropractor gave me some great advice when he suggested I "double bag" and use two bras for great suppport. I have since found some really excellent sports bras--check out Title 9--sports apparel for women. Two brands I recommend--Enell and Moving Comfort. And, listen to your body--start slowly and work your way up to longer distances. Good luck!
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I run 5 ks and i am a 36 D....If your back doesnt like it, it will tell you, and u can make adjustments!
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am 196 lbs I wear a 40D or DD depending on the bra and I run 2.25 miles 3 times a week and I feel great!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36 F. I used to say I couldn't run because of my boobsiesss but that was just a lame and embarrassingly transparent excuse. Truth is, with the right combo of support, these suckers are a non issue. Perhaps he assumes you will be running in a push-up bra? Never heard of a Dr recommending that in my life!

Want to add, that I do have back problems but they are unrelated to running (Pre-existing) and its not been exacerbated by running.
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My girls are 34DD, and I do all sorts of high-impact exercise all the time. That being said, it did take a while to get used to it.

Currently I wear an ordinary Champion C9 compression bra from Target that works just fine, but when I was pregnant and running, I had to use the motion-eliminating bras from Titile 9. They even have one they call "The Last Resort." I believe Under Armour makes one as well. Yes, a good sports bra can be pricey, but good bras of any sort are always more expensive!
  • jessababy22
    Options
    look into the Enell sports bra. I'm a 44 DDD and got a size 5. It's been great for me during zumba and walking (not up to running yet because of my asthma and knee issues). you can find it online at www.enell.com and see if they sell it anywhere neat you so you don't have to buy it online. a good sports bra will be expensive but it should be worth it.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have this bra...it is SERIOUS when it clams no bounce. Here is a bit of "quoted" info, but I can tell you from experience...I am larger than you are, and this bra WORKS.

"The only sports bra that has ever worked for me is the Enell Sport – and by work, I mean once it's on, my breasts simply do not move. Before the Enell, I couldn't run or do aerobics without pain; now, I can do both. With its vest-like design and nearly 20 tiny hooks up the front, it's the strangest looking undergarment I've ever seen, but I couldn't care less. This bra is a secret weapon, and I feel like a superhero when I'm running in it! One style, 10 sizes, six colors. "

Lisa Oram, Freelance Writer

$60 to $66; Available at Enell.com
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm a doctor and I have DD boobs. Running is awesome- I do it every day. Fire your doctor.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Find a new doctor. What a DB. I was 187 with 38DDD or some hefty size and running my *kitten* off. Moving Comfort Fiona is a GREAT sports bra for keeping them tight an compressed yet comfortable. Get fitted for good shoes and that will alleviate a lot of the leg pain many people experience too.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Um...I'm 6' and 209lbs with 36DD boobs and I run. I already have existing back problems but it's not exaggerated when I run. I also ran with 40DD boobs at 240lbs.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My boobs were a 34DD/E when I started running. I completed a 10K in June. I've now reached my GW, my boobs have shrunk a bit (about 34Dish now) and I'm still running. In fact I've signed up to do Tough Mudder next year (a 10-13 mile assault course). If I can do it anyone can.

Start out gradually and see how you feel. Obviously everyone's body is different, but imho there's nothing better than proving professionals wrong...

Good Luck xxx