?: Doc says my boobs are too big to run?

Options

Replies

• amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    This is silly. My chest is the same size and I started running 4 1/2 months ago. I have since ran 2 5k's and ran for an hour straight last night. You just have to make sure the goods are held in place or it can be very uncomfortable and embarrasing if they are flopping around all over the place. Sometimes I wear a regular bra with a sports bra or I have a high impact sports bra that isn't too bad that I wear sometimes as well. It doesn't bother my back at all.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Without getting into too much medical and without reading all of the posts is there anything else in your history that would cause your doctor concern? Example - my mother has severe arthritis (debilitating she is currently on 100% disability due to arthritis). Both my sister and I started showing signs of arthritis in our 20s. I do jog/walk but most doctors will tell me not to jog due to the stress on my joints. I have cut the jog/walk down to once a week because it has started to aggravate my back (sometimes even every other week) and instead now supplement with a fitness DVD and fast walking. That would be what I would ask the doctor - are the two reasons that you mentioned (boob size and weight) really the only two reasons that your doctor doesn't want you to run or are there possible other factors that could be causing this diagnosis from your doctor? While I realize some doctors don't advocate running at all due to the stress it places on your joints I would be hesitant to throw out a doctors advice without first asking a lot more questions. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!!
  • crimsonkurls
    crimsonkurls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well I am a 36 DDD And I do jogging sprints with walking VERY fast inbetween.You just need to invest in a VERY good sports bra.And my boobs are natural,not implants because that does make a difference when support and weight come into play.
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am similiar to you in chest size, and I did weigh more than you do now. I run 2-3x a week with no problems. I find it helps to double up on the sports bra... but my back has never bothered me.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy the feeling of running, so I swim. It's a great full-body workout and it's low-impact.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all 5 pages of replies so far, but what I did read seems to be very good REAL WORLD practical advice from women who have had great success stories.

One thing to add, you will probably need to get some good advice on your running style and form. Make sure you get some good quality properly cushioned running shoes. The Payless or Famous Footwear $30 Specials just won't cut it. Plan on spending a bit over $100. When mine were fitted the store had treadmills set up with video camera trained on your legs and feet. The consultant showed me how my foot was landing on the video in slow motion. How cool! Really helps you focus on your form. The reason I bring it up is you can run very heavy footed and create extra shock and bounce, or you can run light footed like a cat and minimize your stress.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    RIDICULOUS!!!!

I was 189 with 40DD when I started, and while it wasn't easy, I did it! Find a few good sports bras and run like the wind :)
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I didnt read most of the other posts BUT.... I am a 40DD and weigh a lot more than you and I have done C25K. I still jog occasionally and I ride horses all the time, which is far more, or just as much, bounce, as jogging.

Get a fantastic sports bra. Seriously... I wear mine OVER my regular bra. There is NO bounce. None! It's tight as can be but its worth it. Too painful without one.

Also, I stretch my shoulders and back out very well before a serious ride, or before running/working out. If you find that you have back/shoulder pain just slow down. Listen to your body and enjoy your run!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can get a GREAT burn using the elliptical machine. But as to running......I would think if you wore a really good sports bra or maybe two sports bras you might be ok. You'll just have to give it a try and see how you feel.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I'm 36 DD and I run. No back issues as long as you lock those things down with a decent sports bra. I went to a running store and bought an overpriced high impact bra that is amazing.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My wife is a 34DDD. She can't run they bounce around to much and it hurts her. But she does ride a bike and does the elliptical for hours. Her hope is that with weight loss they will get smaller meaning at some point she will be able to run pain free. She also has a top of the line sports bra and wears a reg bra under which helps with the bouncing but not enough to gain her pain free running.
  • WalterMom
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I say BS! I have always run to lose weight. When I first started a couple of years ago, I was 38DDD and 180lbs. Yes, I had to find a fantastically engineered sports bra that wouldn't cut into my shoulders, but I found one at ****s. That said, I am now 155lbs and 36DD. "The girls" wouldn't have gotten smaller (and neither would I) without running. BTW I completed a 25K two years ago.
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am a 42H, and i have jogged before and it never hurt my back, actually the more physical activity i do the better my back feels, i wear a VERY GOOD bra, and a sports bra over top, and it really holds me in place ver good, very minimal bounce. but i agree with every one esle find a good running shoe and make sure your tatas are supported very well and you should not have any problems at all. Good luck with your running!!!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34DD and I run without a problem. Well without a problem pertaining to my boobs lol. I say try it at least and see how it goes for you.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    wear 2 very good sports bras. this is what i do. i actually don't like to run. i do HIIT on the elliptical or stair mill.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Sounds like complete BS to me. I'm a 36DD and I just put on a GOOD sports bra and run.
  • ksb0702
    ksb0702 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am larger than that, 38DDD and I run using the C25k with two bras (one reg and a sports over top). I don't run far (Up to running 25 min at a time) and I don't run fast. I think the advice about support is REALLY important. If I were to run wtih just one sports bra I think it would hurt to much. The person who said listen to your body and get good gear (shoes, support, etc) was dead on.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Core strengthening exercises will help prevent back injury. Yes, running will stress your body more than someone who has a smaller chest, but with a good sports bra and a strong core, you can manage it. (Yes, they make good sports bras in your size. I'm a 40FF and have a good sports bra. It wasn't cheap, but the good ones never are!) People who weigh over 200 lbs run all the time, so your doctor's argument has limited validity. Try it. Don't push yourself too hard, and you'll be fine!
  • Sammee247
    Sammee247 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im a 38DD and I run, I circuit train mostly, but sometimes a flat out run.
    I have back problems from having big boobs wether I am running or not, so I would just say listen to your body, if you feel pain, then slow it down. You dont want to overdo it either. Key for good running with big boobs, the right shoes, and a supportive bra!

Good luck!
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 200lbs, up until I injured my Achilles tendon I was doing the C25K program. I wear a 38H bra, I have a special one from Panache Sports that is awesome. I happily paid extra for the comfort and love the fact I CAN run comfortably! I can jump up and down and NOTHING moves. None of my doctors have told me not to run (prior to injury-not caused by running), but ever person is different.