"I don't want to be too thin" - a "fat" people thing to say?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    o o o o ! i know the answer!!!!!

"It depends on the individual."

This ^^^^^^^^^

:bigsmile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Someone else pointed this out, and I'm jumping on it. When women say they don't want to "lose their curves" and get "too thin," I think it's because "curves" are the only things they felt positive about for their body image. The big boobs or butt than their men loved? Those are at risk of disappearing, even though overall appearance would improve.

It's like priding yourself on your long hair--sure, it gets matted easily, snarly, and may be in horrible health... but it's so long, and someone liked it! So when you lose weight, and the boobs and butt go quickly... yeah, you were overweight, those boobs and butt were contributing to an unhealthy weight.... but someone liked it!

I would say "NOT TRUE!" My best feature has always been my eyes. When I was weighing 135, it was my legs, but my hips have been curvy since I was 12. Curvy is a shape, not a size.

Lol, do you not understand "examples." The topic is, "Why do people say this/feel this?" Clearly you're not in that demographic if you weren't saying, "Wow, I don't want to be too thin, because I have great eyes." Reading comprehension & context: you're doing it wrong. Nice job reading other posts, too!

Well apparently, I am retarded. I still think your comment is ridiculous. :ohwell:

:laugh:

You don't understand it then ;) At least you're cognizant enough to admit your mental failings (too bad you have to go the route of using "retarded").
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Who wants to be "too" anything?

Having said that, I reckon I could cope with having 'too much money'
  • caseygotgoals
    caseygotgoals Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Too skinny/thin, to me, means having your ribs showing. I really hate that. My ideal body is healthy and curvy. If you Google "marilyn monroe beach photo shoot", that's what I mean by healthy and curvy. That is the body I want! Lol.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What is too thin to one person might be not be too thin to another. there are many individual factors to be considered. I would also like to point out that the average woman's frame is bigger now, than the average woman's frame for example in the 1950s call it evolution if you must. There are way too many variables to make a generalization therefore, to each their own so long as it is healthy and my thoughts do not include those with anorexia who think being that thin is healthy. I do not think it is an excuse from all, maybe from some yes, but definitely not all. Me? i would love to lose my boobs as it is almost impossible to run without knocking myself out lmao.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

I want to be too sexy for this shirt, so sexy it hurts.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options

I want to be too sexy for this shirt, so sexy it hurts.

well.... Now that is stuck in my head...
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

So when you say "I don't want to be skinny/too thin" what are you implying? Are you saying you don't find thin attractive or are you simply saying it because you don't believe you can reach a certain weight or is it just an excuse?

i agree with this. for example, when there's a thread like what's your ideal body, fat people always post kim kardashian or someone thick like her.
    I mean who wants a butt like that?
    i think it's because people believe it's the best what THEY can get.

Um false. Some people really do find that attractive. My husband is an *kitten* man so he would love if my *kitten* looked like hers. (it won't ever look that way unless I do endless squats). He married a "thicker" woman and has seen pictures of me at my smallest and has very kindly asked me not to get to that weight.

So while some people do use it as an excuse to not work towards a goal some people really do not want that goal. I feel sexiest when I am FIT and still curvy. (and not the "fat" definition of curvy)
  • BROscience_PHD
    BROscience_PHD Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I thought it was better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it>???
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I think its more a case of wanting to feel comfortable in your own body. For people who have been overweight for a long time, or always overweight, it's diffuclt to gauge where 'too skinny' would be so better to set a higher, realistic, figure to aim for and then adjust when the time comes if one wanted to be smaller.

^^ this

Really, I have no idea what I should weigh. I do know that the BMI for ME is definitely BS, because I have a larger frame (has been confirmed by my doctor), and most likely should not ever weigh less than 135, even though I am only 5'1". Plus I do NOT want to lose my *kitten* and boobs. Yes, I'm vain about them. Hahaha. I just want to be comfortable, I'm not even worried about "skinny." I'm going for realistic and healthy and happy. "Too skinny" would mean unhealthy for ME.
  • pinkspanglystar
    pinkspanglystar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me too thin is under what my goal weight on here is set as!! I lost weight and kept it off for ten years but at my lightest I looked like death and got really ill from it and had no energy!! I was forced to put half a stone on at the time and felt so much better and looked better too!! I was still a size 12-14 but for me that was better than hitting size 10 almost and looking like a scary halloween figure all the time :)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    "too thin" to me means emaciated or death camp looking. Like you belong in a commercial for a christain charity to feed the hungry. As long as it falls under physically "healthy", I say go for it. but then again, i say don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't play in traffic always practice safe sex and brush your teeth freq to combat gingivitis. healthy = happy.

i was a overly thin drug doing smoker at one point. so this is my "new leaf" perspective. to feel healthy "clean" and good. :)

its doing marvelous things for mah happys.

Again, one chick's opinion. Opinions are a dime a dozen.
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Scoobydoo1180 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure anymore b/c I have definately lost muscle over the years. To be fair I only started recently weight lifting so I know this will happen if you don't lift. In HS I was 118 - 125 lbs and 5' 2'' which was fairly comfortable and I felt thin. There were days I would feel like if I lost 5 lbs my pants would fit slightly better. Just have to wait and see how I feel when I get back down to 125 lbs
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    o o o o ! i know the answer!!!!!

"It depends on the individual."

DING DING DING, we have a winner! :drinker:
  • Scoobydoo1180
    Scoobydoo1180 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    "too thin" to me means emaciated or death camp looking. Like you belong in a commercial for a christain charity to feed the hungry. As long as it falls under physically "healthy", I say go for it. but then again, i say don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't play in traffic always practice safe sex and brush your teeth freq to combat gingivitis. healthy = happy.

i was a overly thin drug doing smoker at one point. so this is my "new leaf" perspective. to feel healthy "clean" and good. :)

its doing marvelous things for mah happys.

Again, one chick's opinion. Opinions are a dime a dozen.

Agreed, the sunken eyes, drawn face not a good look. Good for you turning over a new leaf. That is huge!
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I dont think its an excuss. I think people (women in general) look better with some weight on them (curves). It don't have to be alot of weight. But being too skinny is not attractive.
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    IMO there is a fine line between healthy and sickly looking. For me, at 5'6 and an large frame, anything below 145 looks terrible.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Hi!

Just something I overheard the other day that got me thinking. Usually larger people saying that they don't want to be "too thin" or "skinny".

In my opinion both of those terms are relative so one person views skinny as 5'5 110lbs person and another may say that the 5'5 girl is skinny at 120.

So when you say "I don't want to be skinny/too thin" what are you implying? Are you saying you don't find thin attractive or are you simply saying it because you don't believe you can reach a certain weight or is it just an excuse? Like you're heavy and you'd probably like to be that weight but are too lazy to actually work for it?

I don't mean to offend anyone. When I say I don't want to be skinny I mean under 120 (I'm 5'4) and at that weight I have hip bones jutting out and don't look healthy in my eyes.

This usually comes from two camps:

1. Women who have never been a healthy weight and so can't imagine themselves at one and
    2. Women who think fat = curves.
    Ditto... Well said
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I can't view the second picture at work, but the lady on the top picture is too skinny in my opinion.

So healthy looking human is too skinny? This perfectly illustrates my point that what we consider normal has shifted....

No, it prove the subjective nature of the discussion. I don't think she looks healthy.
  • LadyTess2012
    Options
    I think its more a case of wanting to feel comfortable in your own body. For people who have been overweight for a long time, or always overweight, it's diffuclt to gauge where 'too skinny' would be so better to set a higher, realistic, figure to aim for and then adjust when the time comes if one wanted to be smaller.

^^ this

Really, I have no idea what I should weigh. I do know that the BMI for ME is definitely BS, because I have a larger frame (has been confirmed by my doctor), and most likely should not ever weigh less than 135, even though I am only 5'1". Plus I do NOT want to lose my *kitten* and boobs. Yes, I'm vain about them. Hahaha. I just want to be comfortable, I'm not even worried about "skinny." I'm going for realistic and healthy and happy. "Too skinny" would mean unhealthy for ME.

I agree with it all. I've never been thin. The BMI for me has always put me in the Obese catagory, yet I've seen pics of myself when I was a preteen & I'm not fat by any standard. I also am a big framed woman & I would rather be realistic & meet my goal then be what the BMI says & never get there. I have enough problems with self esteem without setting myself up to fail.