ICE - How Do I log It?

Options

Replies

• Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The formal definition of density is mass per unit volume. Usually the density is expressed in grams per mL or cc. Mathematically a "per" statement is translated as a division. cc is a cubic centimeter and is equal to a mL

E.g.

100 g x 1.0 mL = 108.7 mL = 0.92 g

The increase in volume of ice is about 9%.

The normal pattern for most compounds is that as the temperature of the liquid increases, the density decreases as the molecules spread out from each other. As the temperature decreases, the density increases as the molecules become more closely packed. This pattern does not hold true for ice as the exact opposite occurs.

In liquid water each molecule is hydrogen bonded to approximately 3.4 other water molecules. In ice each each molecule is hydrogen bonded to 4 other molecules.
  • karolineoberhaus
    karolineoberhaus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This might be my favorite thread ever!
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    Eating ice or drinking ice water needs to be logged in exercise because your body burns calories to warm the water for proper digestion but if you wait till its room temperature then your just screwed. You'll have to log the water in the food log and just deal with working it off later with exercise and the only exercise I have heard of to work off room temperature water is eating maple frosted bacon while petting a wild giraffe, not a zoo giraffe or a stuffed giraffe but a wild one. So good luck with that.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    The formal definition of density is mass per unit volume. Usually the density is expressed in grams per mL or cc. Mathematically a "per" statement is translated as a division. cc is a cubic centimeter and is equal to a mL

E.g.

The normal pattern for most compounds is that as the temperature of the liquid increases, the density decreases as the molecules spread out from each other. As the temperature decreases, the density increases as the molecules become more closely packed. This pattern does not hold true for ice as the exact opposite occurs.

In liquid water each molecule is hydrogen bonded to approximately 3.4 other water molecules. In ice each each molecule is hydrogen bonded to 4 other molecules.

Thanks for the simplistic answer! jeez its not rocket science..thanks for breaking it down so even a "child" could understand!
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Um...why does it matter? My thought is to not nit-pick. Developing new habits is better in the long run than worrying about the 1 oz of ice that may or may not be in your glass.
  • CharityPearce
    Options

E.g.

Hey... will you come to Chemistry with me tomorrow!?! You rock!!! ; )
  • BigCed77024
    Options
    Eating ice or drinking ice water needs to be logged in exercise because your body burns calories to warm the water for proper digestion but if you wait till its room temperature then your just screwed. You'll have to log the water in the food log and just deal with working it off later with exercise and the only exercise I have heard of to work off room temperature water is eating maple frosted bacon while petting a wild giraffe, not a zoo giraffe or a stuffed giraffe but a wild one. So good luck with that.

Thanks..so wild giraffes do have one as a pet? And where do i get maple frosted bacon? Can i have cinnamon? i only have cinnamon!!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ice in that quanity will cause the brain to freeze and the thawing process burns calories so you are safe to log it as is.
  • BigCed77024
    Options
    This might be my favorite thread ever!

Mine too! Can you explain how to log water my friend?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Thanks..so wild giraffes do have one as a pet? And where do i get maple frosted bacon? Can i have cinnamon? i only have cinnamon!!!

Okay... so then you are joking? You know I've been waiting around to find out. Way to leave a girl hanging!
  • CharityPearce
    Options

Huh! I've been looking for an excuse for an African Safari... On my way out to sell all my worldly posessions, get a 2nd mortgage on my house and buy a ticket to Kenya. Thanks, girl!
  • Veronikitta
    Options
    The answer in plain english is quite simple. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds under normal atmospheric pressure, and unless you live on the tip of mount everest or the bottom of the ocean, there is no question there. With that given, water when frozen into ice will weigh exactly the same. So, 1 gal. water = 8 lbs. of ice; 1 gal. water = 16 cups of water (or 16 cups ice, whichever you prefer) Therefore, 1 cup of water = .5lb of ice and 1/4 cup of water = .25lb. of ice. So weigh the ice that you are eating to find out how much water you have consumed, or better yet, measure your whole cup of water and ice and find out how much water is actually in your cup.

Yes, I Love Math!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options

E.g.

Hey... will you come to Chemistry with me tomorrow!?! You rock!!! ; )

Haha sure!

Also, seriously... weigh how much your cube of ice is.. then subtract 9% of that... lol =]

Or follow in the footsteps of Archimedes and drop a cube of ice in to a glass of water and measure the displacement.
  • mminor77
    Options

I used to have one as a pet until it started eating the drapes then I had to ship it off to the zoo but that wouldnt have worked for you anyway, you need a wild one. You will have to go on a safari. Cinnamon Bacon. Im going to pretend I didnt hear that. There are some specialty shops that sell the maple frosted bacon but Ive found its easier to make it. The correct way to make it is very important. You must wear a purple boa with acid green legwarmers (regular clothing is fine) while singing and dancing to the Harry Nilsson song "Put the lime in the coconut" drinking a lime and coconut flavored margarita. The maple is very important, Mrs Butterworths isnt going to cut it. The Maple syrup has to come from Canada. The canned Maple syrup no substitutes. The syrup gets mixed with vanilla frosting and then you dip the bacon in it. The whole process of making it and getting to the safari (did I mention that you have to walk and swim to get there??) to pet the giraffe burns so many calories that you wont have to worry about logging room temperature water for months. Its totally worth it. Otherwise just try to eat the ice or drink the ice water quickly so you dont have to deal with room temp water. Good luck! Oh and btw if you have to go to a safari to burn the cals make sure you take pics!! I loooove giraffes. :laugh: :laugh:
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
  • mminor77
    Options

Huh! I've been looking for an excuse for an African Safari... On my way out to sell all my worldly posessions, get a 2nd mortgage on my house and buy a ticket to Kenya. Thanks, girl!

:wink: Take lots of pics!!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Dont you weigh yourself before and after your shower so you can get an accurate water consumption count?? I thought everyone did that.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Dont you weigh yourself before and after your shower so you can get an accurate water consumption count?? I thought everyone did that.
    [/quote]
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Threads like these make me glad that I don't log my water. But props for you for putting in the effort to make sure you get enough!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    "Marrow attended Palms Junior High, which was predominately made up of white students, and included black students bussed in from South Central.[5] After graduating, he attended Crenshaw High School, which was almost entirely made up of black students.[5][7] Marrow stood out from most of his friends because he did not drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, or use drugs.[8] During high school, gangs began to intensify in the Los Angeles school system. Students who belonged to the Bloods and Crips gangs attended Crenshaw, and fought in the school's halls.[5] ************Tracy aligned with the Crips,[5] and began reading the novels of Iceberg Slim, which he memorized and recited to his friends, who enjoyed hearing the excerpts and told him, "Yo, kick some more of that by Ice, T,"[8] and the handle stuck. ********** Marrow and other Crips wrote and performed "Crip Rhymes", long before the advent of hip hop and recorded rapping.[9]"

Librarians: we can't help answering reference questions! :)

Today I Learned: Reading causes gangs

Thanks to the librarian:drinker:

And rofl to the student. :laugh: