Replies

• swweis
    swweis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MJH5773
    MJH5773 Posts: 70
    Options
    Undoubtedly the best chicken tacos you'll ever have are made in a crockpot.

You'll need 1 or 2 lbs of chicken (I used thighs; they're cheaper), 1 jar of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning. Dump all three ing. into crockpot. Stir, if you're into that sort of thing. And then set your timer to low. You can do this with frozen or thawed chicken.

Here's the original recipe: http://mychocolatetherapy.blogspot.com/2012/01/crockpot-chicken-tacos.html

I dare you not to stand over the crockpot, eating it straight outta-the-pot with a fork!!

I have this one cooking in the crock pot as we speak. I am giddy like a kid on Christmas morning to try it tomorrow morning.

Had a question though: Has anybody figured out the nutritional information for this? Seriving Size?
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wild Rice Hot Dish - Dietitian's Choice Recipe

Servings: 8 Nutrition Information:
    Calories: 250 Protein: 22 g Carbs: 37 g Fat: 6 g Saturated Fat: 1 g
    Sodium: 340 mg Fiber: 4 g

Ingredients

 2 cup wild rice, uncooked
     1/2 cup almonds, slivered
     1 cup onions, chopped
     1 cup celery, chopped
     1 cup mushrooms, chopped
     1 cup green pepper, chopped
     2 cups chicken, diced
     4 cups low sodium chicken broth
     2 cups water
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1/4 tsp garlic powder
     1 Tbsp parsley

Instructions

1. Wash and drain rice. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Mix well. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or until rice is fully cooked. Do not remove lid before rice has cooked 4 hours.

I made this one this weekend, and it works well! I thought I would miss the creaminess of the traditional wild rice hotdish, but this one is full of flavor just the way it is.
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump thanks :flowerforyou:
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    bump....I love this thread, lots of great recipes!
  • cowgirldiva17
    Options
    May I get your crockpot recipes too??? I LOVE my crockpot. Thank you!
    lisa.schmidt17@gmail.com
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Vegetable soup. My crock pot is very large and I made enough to take to work for lunch all week.

32 oz low sodium beef broth
    3 large potatoes (approx 40 oz) cut into bite size pcs
    baby peeled carots (approx 30 oz)
    16 oz frozen mixed vegies
    2 zuchini - sliced
    6-7 large white mushroom - sliced
    Chopped onion (I don't use these cause I don't like them but many people do)

Dump broth, potatoes and carrots into crock pot and cook on high until almost done. Add all other vegies and continue cooking until potatoes and carrots are done. i usually buy an extra small can of broth just in case it needs a little more. I sometimes add other frozen vegies (corn and peas just because I like them). serving size is 2 cups and 175 calories.
  • lmorse99
    Options
    3-4 chicken breast, medium spice salsa (Garden Fresh Jacks special) can of black beans (drained). 4-6 hours depending on your time. After its done I shred the chicken and eat with tortilla or rice... low fat and high protein:)
  • dragongirl78
    Options
    bump
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ive gotten a ton of great ideas from this website

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/01/crockpot-diet.html

Also very simple things like:

4lbs pork (no bones/skin) 1 jar salsa 1 can crushed pineapple, cook on low for 8 hours, wonderful on all kinds of things (made tacos, taco salad, put it in spaghetti sauce)

1 whole cut up chicken (skinned, about 5 lbs) 1 tall boy of budlight (or other beer) 1 jar of weber brand beer can chicken, cook on low for 8 hours, drain chicken, shred off the bone (very versatile)

I live for my crockpot, if youd like other ideas just message me :-)
  • SueGlazier
    SueGlazier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump....to read this afternoon after work.
  • lil_pixie
    Options
    bump - just got a new slow cooker and will definitely be trying out some of these recipes.
  • Chunk2206
    Options
    Bump
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    bump
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So i made my own salsa verde

Ingredients
    3 pounds bright green tomatillos, husked and rinsed
    2 jalapeños, seeded
    1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
    6 small cloves fresh garlic, peeled
    1 medium bunch cilantro
    3/4 cup Italian parsley
    1/3 cup fresh mint, packed
    1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Kosher salt
    cracked black pepper

Method:

1. Put the tomatillos and jalapeños in a large heavy pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and boil for 15 minutes until tomatillos are soft. Let sit for 15 minutes.

2. Drain tomatillos and place in a food processor with cumin and garlic cloves. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add cilantro, parsely, and mint, and pulse to combine. Blend until herbs are incorporated, and sauce begins to liquify (but there are still small chuncks).

3. Return sauce to pot. Add vegetable oil, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and simmer 15 - 20 minutes, until sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool and store in the fridge. Enjoy!

Then I make slow cooked pork in it and its like pulled pork you can add for nacho's (i can make 500 cal nachos) burritos or anything.

INGREDIENTS
    3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, or butt
    1 1/2 cups prepared tomatillo salsa, (see Ingredient Note)
    1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds, or ground cumin
    3 plum tomatoes, (1/2 pound), thinly sliced

PREPARATION
    Trim and discard pork surface fat. Cut meat apart following layers of fat around muscles; trim and discard fat. Cut into 2-inch chunks and rinse with cold water. Place in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Turn heat to high.
    Combine salsa, broth, onion and cumin seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over the meat. Add tomatoes and mix gently. Put the lid on and cook until the meat is pull-apart tender, 6 to 7 hours.
    With a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a large bowl; cover and keep warm. Pour the sauce and vegetables into a large skillet; skim fat. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil, skimming froth from time to time, for about 20 minutes, to intensify flavors and thicken slightly. Add the pork and 1/4 cup cilantro; heat through.
  • MrsWW57
    MrsWW57 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to make Sausage and Peppers in mine.

1 package turkey sausages (5 links)
    2 green bell peppers, sliced
    1 red bell pepper, sliced
    1 onion, sliced
    3 cloves, minced
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    Italian seasoning

Put sausages in the bottom of the crock pot. Add the peppers, onion, garlic and diced tomatoes. Sprinkle with seasoning. Cook on low for 6 - 7 hours. You can serve it over noodles or rice, or just eat it without.

You can add more vegetables to this, too. I've added slices of zucchini.

This sounds different & yummy!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    bump
  • julzzz4
    julzzz4 Posts: 72
    Options
    :wink:
  • rocksred
    rocksred Posts: 11
    Options
    Balsamic Chicken:

4-6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
    2 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 onion thinly sliced (Not chopped)
    4 garlic cloves
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 T olive oil
    1 tsp each: dried oregano, basil, and rosemary
    1/2 tsp thyme
    ground black pepper and salt to taste

Pour the olive oil on bottom of crock pot
    place in chicken breasts, salt and pepper each breast
    put sliced onion on top of chicken
    then put in all the dried herbs and garlic cloves
    pour in vinegar and top with tomatoes

Cook on high 4 hours, serve over angel hair pasta

http://skinnyms.com/balsamic-chicken/

We love this and it is quick and easy. We eat it over rice as opposed to the pasta.