Explain why "organic" is better?

Options

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    It's a complex issue, that matters for some foods much more than others.

First off, I think if you trust the government, the FDA, or massive corporations to look out for your well-being over trying to make a buck or gain more power, you're a complete idiot.

That being said, MOST of the organic companies are actually owned by those same massive corporations, like General Mills, so blindly trusting them without doing your research also makes you an idiot.

Then there's the "natural" thing. 75% of new food products released in 2011 had the word natural on the front of the box. Natural is an unregulated term, anyone can write that on their food with no backlash or sanction whatsoever.

Then there's the fact that nutrition labels are terribly regulated, and have some incredibly stupid or dangerous rules. For example, you don't have to declare trans fat if it's less than .5g, but ANY amount of trans fat is still bad for you. Also, new toxic sweeteners like Neotame (from the makers of aspartame) don't need to be declared AT ALL, due to some apparent dirty dealings the public isn't privy to.

Organic food, typically, is also far more expensive, though not in every case.

Then there's taste, I personally feel that some foods, like Apples, taste infinitely better when they're organic, but with say, bananas, I don't notice a difference at all.

There are some hardcore all-organic people on here and some hardcore big corporation/artificial sweetener/chemical apologists as well. Best thing I can tell you is to do your research, and do it thoroughly. Or just shop at Trader Joe's, because it's ridiculously cheap AND a safe bet 99% of the time.
  • kashmirdreamer
    kashmirdreamer Posts: 31 Member
    Options

First off, I think if you trust the government, the FDA, or massive corporations to look out for your well-being over trying to make a buck or gain more power, you're a complete idiot.

That being said, MOST of the organic companies are actually owned by those same massive corporations, like General Mills, so blindly trusting them without doing your research also makes you an idiot.

Then there's the "natural" thing. 75% of new food products released in 2011 had the word natural on the front of the box. Natural is an unregulated term, anyone can write that on their food with no backlash or sanction whatsoever.

Then there's the fact that nutrition labels are terribly regulated, and have some incredibly stupid or dangerous rules. For example, you don't have to declare trans fat if it's less than .5g, but ANY amount of trans fat is still bad for you. Also, new toxic sweeteners like Neotame (from the makers of aspartame) don't need to be declared AT ALL, due to some apparent dirty dealings the public isn't privy to.

Then there's taste, I personally feel that some foods, like Apples, taste infinitely better when they're organic, but with say, bananas, I don't notice a difference at all.

There are some hardcore all-organic people on here and some hardcore big corporation/artificial sweetener/chemical apologists as well. Best thing I can tell you is to do your research, and do it thoroughly. Or just shop at Trader Joe's, because it's ridiculously cheap AND a safe bet 99% of the time.

This ^^^ Thanks for brilliantly wording what I was trying to say!
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options

What does it matter who owns the organic company??? They still have to have an independent audit to achieve and comply with the Standards and gain Certification. They do not Self Certify (that's where I come in) Your use of the terminology (complete Idiot) implies that as Organic Auditors we do not do our job. I do my job and twice I have had to have the Police present to get me off farm as I de-certfied a producer on the spot.
    Natural is not organic and has nothing to do with the Organic argument.
    Nutritional labels has nothing to do with Organic argument.
    A little mixed up rant I feel but good you felt the need to share,
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options

What does it matter who owns the organic company??? They still have to have an independent audit to achieve and comply with the Standards and gain Certification. They do not Self Certify (that's where I come in) Your use of the terminology (complete Idiot) implies that as Organic Auditors we do not do our job. I do my job and twice I have had to have the Police present to get me off farm as I de-certfied a producer on the spot.
    I think I know where you are coming from. Working in the natural food industry for 7 years plus now working in a conservation office where our closest partnering agency is USDA, I completely understand what you are talking about.

People just need to understand there is a difference between seeing a USDA ORGANIC certified label and just the word organic and natural thrown around on a cereal box. I actually saw a pot of coffee at a gas station that said CERTIFIED ORGANIC* then looked at the * line at the bottom of the label and it stated "*certified organic by FOTX" (I made up that acronym because I can't remember what it was) but whatever it was, it was not USDA. USDA has actual standards for what their ORGANIC label means.
  • rodneyhakes
    Options

However, that is the least of your worries. Processed food is way worse for you than non-organic produce could ever hope to be.

RIGHT ON BROTHER
  • kashmirdreamer
    kashmirdreamer Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I think I know where you are coming from. Working in the natural food industry for 7 years plus now working in a conservation office where our closest partnering agency is USDA, I completely understand what you are talking about.

People just need to understand there is a difference between seeing a USDA ORGANIC certified label and just the word organic and natural thrown around on a cereal box. I actually saw a pot of coffee at a gas station that said CERTIFIED ORGANIC* then looked at the * line at the bottom of the label and it stated "*certified organic by FOTX" (I made up that acronym because I can't remember what it was) but whatever it was, it was not USDA. USDA has actual standards for what their ORGANIC label means.

Agreed. General public does not understand the difference between organic and natural, and a host of other terms and issues (haha I'm sure people get into so many of these here).
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options

Agreed. General public does not understand the difference between organic and natural, and a host of other terms and issues (haha I'm sure people get into so many of these here).

Agreed, A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to highlight that if you are worried about manure that it is an acceptable practice in traditional agriculture to feed chicken manure to beef cattle. So enjoy your manure steak and ground beef.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You cannot feed the world with organic crop yields.

Who is trying to feed the whole world? Isn't that part of the problem, shipping food far away on trucks, people don't grown their own anymore?

It would be difficult to have all those that live in cities grow their own food. Can't feed a family of 4 from a balcony garden. Is that a situation that needs to be resolved? I don't know. I would think that overall living in a 1000 sq ft apt uses less natrual resources (heating etc, material) than a house and an acreage for every family. Also, less use of automobiles and gas.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I choose organic when I can for several reasons. I like knowing where my meat came from - the farm, the farmers, the feed, etc. and I find that with small organic farms there is more information than with a larger, commercial farming industry. I also like being able to know what the ingredients are in the products I buy without having to use a dictionary. I'm not staunch about my organic choices - price is a big concern - but I prefer them. In a completely horrible truth I also love Late July cookies, which are organic, and quite a lovely indulgence.
    Organic does not mean local there are still poor conditions for organic meat.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Advocates(tree huggers) say organic is better, health experts do not. Infact, plants themselves give off toxins that can be harmful.
    Hahaha!!! Really? Do YOU even believe that crap?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Advocates(tree huggers) say organic is better, health experts do not. Infact, plants themselves give off toxins that can be harmful.
    Hahaha!!! Really? Do YOU even believe that crap?

http://www.calpoison.com/public/plants-toxic.html
  • jblack1414
    Options
    Yup i drink mercury for breakfast because it is a chemical...And i am made of chemicals
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You can't wash off chemicals and pesticides that have seeped into the cracks and pores of your veggies. It's poison.

The organic movement, much like the 'green' movement is a marketing scheme that is making people who produce green products lots of money. You can buy organic cleaners and dish soap and paper products... some people are getting very rich off people who fear for their lives because someone says their food is poison.
    "Advocates(tree huggers) say organic is better, health experts do not. Infact, plants themselves give off toxins that can be harmful. "
    That pesky Oxygen that we breath we should kill all the plants
  • sophatt
    sophatt Posts: 5
    Options
    It's not.

I was organic for 3 months or so and it was expensive, poor quality and annoying to source. Did I notice any health benefits? No, but I guess I am a pretty healthy person.

Plus, it's elitist. The vast majority of the world does not have the option of organic eating. The production of organic eating is so much less efficient and successful than non-organic and that time, space and energy would really be better served feeding the hungry.

Avoid cancer or whatever the organic argument goes if thats what u believe in and value. (Would love to see proof of this by the way, not just theory). I'm torn between the 'body is a temple' idea and a more realistic view ....
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Plus, it's elitist. The vast majority of the world does not have the option of organic eating. The production of organic eating is so much less efficient and successful than non-organic and that time, space and energy would really be better served feeding the hungry.
    EVERY human in the world fed itself on "organic" food for thousands upon thousands of years.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes, the farming methods are quite different. Many of the chemical pesticides used in conventional farming do stay on the vegetable or fruit, and yes, much research has shown that quite a few of the pesticides used are known carcinogens. Some people like to avoid known carcinogens. I realize that we now live in a world where known carcinogens are everywhere, but I don’t see a problem in making attempt to avoid some of them, if you can.

The way the weeds are eliminated is different. With organic farming, farmers tend to rotate crops or just pull weeds to manage them. With conventional produce, they spray more pesticides, and rarely rotate the soil.

More on pesticides – they get into the soil and grasses that animals eat, and they most certainly get into the groundwater/drinking water. We’ve done tests. And this is not just affecting humans, it’s affecting animals. Many of the crops (soy and corn, usually) are also fed to the animals we eat and they also drink the water.

We can talk organically-fed vs. conventionally-fed animals too. There are huge differences. The main one being the feed and the use of hormones and antibiotics.

There is not enough research out there that shows organic produce is more nutritious than conventionally-grown produce, but there is some initial research out there (though I believe many of the methods used were not very sound). Hopefully more research will come out on this. I’m curious, anyway.

Many people who switch to organic produce think there is a difference in taste. Whether initially they can taste it or as they get used to it, they try conventionally-grown produce and find there is a difference in taste. The things that taste the most different to me are berries, bananas, and apples.

I buy organic when I can, because I can, and because I support the farmers and the farming methods used. I think there is plenty of evidence that it is better for the environment. Most of what I buy is also local. I do this because I want to support my community farmers. They make some damn good stuff. It's again, a taste difference. When I moved from CO to WA, a WA apple tasted different. It hadn't been on a truck for days before it got to the grocery store.

I hope you don’t think I’m being an alarmist or anything. I am just trying to explain the differences. I am not trying to force anyone to eat any differently than they do.

very well said. I like supporting my small local farmers, there aren't as many around anymore. I must say some of the conventional farmed food actually taste better to me and is usually more consistent.
  • lysandre1109
    Options
    Hello Rae!
    Wow, I'm amazed to see that there is so many stupid and sarcastic comments being posted when someone actually asks a question to get informed... Seriously, if you don't have anything clever to say on the subject, you should cut on the crap, that would actually help the person find her answer between the unrelated posts...

I don't pretend to have the full answer to your question, but I have part of it.

One of the organs in your body responsible for burning fat is your liver. Another role of your liver is to filter all "un-natural" substances that get into your body, such as alchool or chemicals found in your food. Anything synthetic needs to be processed by your liver before being absorbed or rejected by your body (that also include sugar-replacements). While your liver is busy clearing up all the un-natural stuff that you have ingested, well... guess what, it's not burning fat. On top of that, when your system does not know what to do with un-natural substances, it stocks them in your fat cells (as other cells don't use them as nourishment), making them that much harder to burn.

Therefore, with organic food, you eat less "un-natural" stuff and your system can work better on burning fat...
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    when i think organic, i'm thinking eggs/milk/etc.. stuff that actually involves animals, though the USDA definition is below - this is what i think of "Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products do not take antibiotics or growth hormones. "

Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled "organic," a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too.

No antibiotics? What if they get an infection? The rancher just lets 300lbs of beef die?

This made me smile. It's sweet to think that medication given to farm animals is for their health.:smile: Actually, antibiotics and other supplements are given to make them grow faster so they make more money for the farmer. Yes, they may treat an infection if it is cost effective, but that's not where the controversy about antibiotics in animal feed comes in.

A question for those who know about these things - are organically raised animals raised under any different conditions than conventionally raised animals, other than their diet?
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    EVERY human in the world fed itself on "organic" food for thousands upon thousands of years.

Exactly, plus our prime farmlands are dedicated to growing #2 field corn which no one eats, only animals and ethanol plants about 50/50. If all that was dedicated to growing foods that we actually eat we would have plenty to eat and I don't think we'd have the obesity epidemic that we have today. I get half my food off of 1/8th of an acre in my suburban backyard. There is no lack of space to grow food.