Explain why "organic" is better?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Organic fruit (with skin, like apples, etc) tastes like an apple - no metallic/bitter taste on the skin at all. My kids were the first one to pick up on that difference and refuse to eat regular store-bought apples any more. Organic chicken (my experience has been with Smart Chicken) is more dense from not soaking up water/solution as it chills and it's cleaned better than all other chicken I've purchased. We recently went in together with some friends on a locally raised, pasture-fed half of a cow, and the quality of the meat is amazing.

For me, buying organic whenever possible is a dollar-for-dollar vote in favor of the environment and one more thing I can do to tip the healthy scale in my family's favor. I'm not obsessive about it, but I do notice a difference in the quality and it just feels better to me at the conscious-level when I'm able to support the organic movement.

Now, that said, I also try to purchase locally whenever possible, as I know "organic" can be interpreted a number of ways, and it's better to buy a local piece of fruit that might carry a trace of pesticides than it is to purchase an organic mango that's been trucked clear from Argentina or something.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    <i'm completely with you on this..
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Organic really isn't inherently better. They still use pesticides and such, just in MUCH high quantities, since it's not as effective as chemical ones. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it won't make you sick. Besides, most pesticide residue can be removed with a simple washing.

Here's a great article that dispels some popular myths about organic foods.
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/04/30/the-lowdown-on-organic-foo/

There are pros and cons to organic, but I've yet to see proof that I need to eat all organic to be healthier.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    my thoughts exactly. OP needs to take a chill pill.

:huh: I haven't replied to this thread in a half hour. I'm talking about boobs now.

tumblr_m7u01xtYpE1rol9bi.gif
  • yrhee
    yrhee Posts: 21
    Options
    I've learned in my science classes that some pesticides are hormone (endocrine) disrupters. Who knows if it's all bogus though. There's so much evidence backing up both sides and all the information out there just seems like propoganda. I've also heard that you should at the very least buy organic peanut butter because peanuts are the most heavily sprayed. Do I? nope.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Here are some differences between organic and conventional.

http://youtu.be/rixyrCNVVGA
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    You can't wash off chemicals and pesticides that have seeped into the cracks and pores of your veggies. It's poison.

Advocates(tree huggers) say organic is better, health experts do not. Infact, plants themselves give off toxins that can be harmful.

The organic movement, much like the 'green' movement is a marketing scheme that is making people who produce green products lots of money. You can buy organic cleaners and dish soap and paper products... some people are getting very rich off people who fear for their lives because someone says their food is poison.

I agree that the word "organic" does not mean anything these days. It has been watered down by many big agri-businesses so they can label their foods as such and make more money.

However, I work with many world-class cancer researchers in Seattle and they do in fact agree that pesticides are bad. Don't eat them. I guess that makes these scientists "tree-huggers" . Or better referred to as "stay-alivers"!

We are not talking about obviously poisonous plants. To speak to your point that plants give off toxins.

If there is a claim on a label that something is organic then it has to be backed up by Certification!! You cannot label something as Organic that has not been Certified to legal Standards!! It is prosecutable by law.

If anyone has any queries on how Certification is done or how land and then products produced off that land are converted to organic statuts then please feel free to ask. I do this 5 days a week!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a split opinion of organic foods. I don't believe they are more nutritious and most of the time organic produce looks less appealing and certainly rots quicker, but is more expensive. I do want to be healthy and limit my ingestion of pesticide residue. I think a little common sense is in order.

I don't see the point of eating organic things like melons or bananas. These foods have very thick outside layers that are removed. Pesticide residue does not penetrate beyond the outside layers of fruits and vegetables. If it can be peeled, non-organic is on par with organic, IMO.

I also go by the Dirty Dozen list and the Clean Fifteen:
    http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/2012-dirty-dozen-plus-clean-15-buying-organic-000700620.html

Plants make their own insect repellents and some don't need as much protection by pesticide application. For the others that are more susceptible to insect damage and resulting disease, more pesticide use means more residue, so organic may be a better option if your goal is to avoid chemicals. I now try to stick with organic produce from Sprouts farmers markets for things like spinach and lettuce that obviously can't be peeled and are more difficult to clean, but I'm not militant about it because it's sometimes hard to fork out so much money for the same food. Gotta go for it when it's on sale though!

I think it's a total joke seeing the "organic" label on things like ice cream and cookies... like it's labeling these foods as healthy. This is where marketing is at work and it's likely misleading people who don't know enough about their food (in our getting ever fatter society ) into thinking it's okay to eat as much of it as they want. I think a lot of people just read organic as synonymous with healthy, and having that label on foods that are empty calories that are mostly just fat and sugar really irritates me.

agreed. i've had this conversation so many times. at the end of the day, if it's a choice between an organic oreo and a "conventional" cucumber, by all means, eat the cucumber.

but it's not so much about the taste for me, it's more about supporting a local economy that has a commitment to the community they serve. i recognize my good fortune.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I agree that the word "organic" does not mean anything these days. It has been watered down by many big agri-businesses so they can label their foods as such and make more money.

However, I work with many world-class cancer researchers in Seattle and they do in fact agree that pesticides are bad. Don't eat them. I guess that makes these scientists "tree-huggers" . Or better referred to as "stay-alivers"!

We are not talking about obviously poisonous plants. To speak to your point that plants give off toxins.

If there is a claim on a label that something is organic then it has to be backed up by Certification!! You cannot label something as Organic that has not been Certified to legal Standards!! It is prosecutable by law.

If anyone has any queries on how Certification is done or how land and then products produced off that land are converted to organic statuts then please feel free to ask. I do this 5 days a week!

I think the question is about the rulings on how the labels are designed: It can be claimed to be "organic" if 70% of the ingredients are "organic" but as we all know (at least most of us) the USDA has actually lowered the bar of organic to its most minimum definition. And that makes sense when talking about organic as a marketing practice, which (no doubt at all ) it is.

However, there is true organic farming and this is not likely what you would find at any grocery store. And there's responsible farming, too, where sometimes pesticides are used as a last resort. In my mind, that is still "organic" because it's a last resort and not part of the growing practice. This is where the difference is for me.

I eat conventional vegetables sometimes and, really, I'm kind of grateful to do so. I would just prefer that commercial farmers had a more vested interest in their product that revolved around quality and environmental stewardship rather than their fat pockets.

And we can't really lay that responsibility on them 100%. It's up to us to make those decisions for them, using what is most important to them: their revenues. So I do my best to drop out of the system as much as possible.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    What does it matter who owns the organic company??? They still have to have an independent audit to achieve and comply with the Standards and gain Certification. They do not Self Certify (that's where I come in) Your use of the terminology (complete Idiot) implies that as Organic Auditors we do not do our job. I do my job and twice I have had to have the Police present to get me off farm as I de-certfied a producer on the spot.
    Natural is not organic and has nothing to do with the Organic argument.
    Nutritional labels has nothing to do with Organic argument.
    A little mixed up rant I feel but good you felt the need to share,
    [/quote]

This guy is spot on in my opinion. Just because alot of large companies may be the parent company does not mean they have their hands in there completely. Alot of organic farmers take great pride in what they do and dont fall to big money. They believe in providing a quality product with ethical practices. Alot of people seem to think the usda and fda are the end all be all in what is right and wrong, but people are getting sicker and more diseases are running rampant, and no one questions our food supply? Back in the day, most food was organic, but because of mass production, they are concerned about the mighty dollar and not your health. Do u ever question products on the shelf that have more than half the ingredient list incomprehensible? These conventional companies add so much filler to foods, it practically has no nutrition. If u compared a convenient conventional boxed product to an organic one, there will be a vast difference. It isnt just produce but convenience foods are vastly different and majority are made with whole ingredients, not lab created fillers and junk. You get a better product. Alot of organic farmers, or ones that non certified farms but have the same practices live that healthy lifestyle and want to provide the same product for their consumers. Alot of the farmers at the farmers markets by me do not use chemicals and pesticides, and its locally grown which is even better. The government agencies are going to tell you these things are ok to consume because if they didnt, they would lose money! The more i have learned of a clean lifestyle and holistic living, i have questioned the government. They care about money, not your health. We have to go to other countries to be treated holistically for certain illnesses, ever wonder why that is? Because if word got out that optimum health and nutrition could possibly ( and i say that lightly because i have seen documented cases of cancer that were supposedly incureable but were cured holistically, go figure) cure illnesses, then people would get healthy and wouldnt need to pop a pill for every little ailment and healthcare would suffer, see what im getting at? Your body is a powerful thing and can heal itself if given the proper nutrition and things it needs to heal. Most just never have the determination to get to that point because of the way we were brought up on convenience.

I know there are alot that dont believe in the holistic way and to each his own, i used to be one of them, until i actually took it upon myself and researched and gained the knowledge to know better. If you are an open minded person and are willing to open yourself to a completely different way, i urge you too. Since i have made this change everything has gotten better, and not just speaking of organics because i do struggle w being able to buy them all the time, but is it all about nutrtion and putting the right things in your body and processed food, chemicals, pesticides, additives and fillers are not meant to be in your body. Vitamins, minerals and nutrients are whats important. Some things are definitely worth buying organic in my opinion.

Just my view point, Do t go by what others say, research it and decide for yourself :)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The first paragraph was quoted, not sure why it didnt do a quote box lol must of did it wrong!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    "With organic farming, farmers tend to rotate crops or just pull weeds to manage them. With conventional produce, they spray more pesticides, and rarely rotate the soil. "

Well, every farmer I know rotates crops. Every.single.year. We rotate between wheat, soybeans,and feed corn. Granted our farmer (we lease our land to the neighbor) only does between 2K and 3K acres a year, so not a huge farming conglomerate. But all the farmers here definitely rotate their crops.

And "pulling weeds" Really? On THOUSANDS of acres? Wow...so not going to sustain the world.

EVERY farmer? EVERY single year? You must not know a lot about farming....

Ever hear the term "corn on corn"?

What part of "ever farmer I KNOW" didn't you get? How many farmers do you think I know? Less than 10. And they ALL rotate crops and do no-till.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    "With organic farming, farmers tend to rotate crops or just pull weeds to manage them. With conventional produce, they spray more pesticides, and rarely rotate the soil. "

Well, every farmer I know rotates crops. Every.single.year. We rotate between wheat, soybeans,and feed corn. Granted our farmer (we lease our land to the neighbor) only does between 2K and 3K acres a year, so not a huge farming conglomerate. But all the farmers here definitely rotate their crops.

And "pulling weeds" Really? On THOUSANDS of acres? Wow...so not going to sustain the world.

maybe you have too many acres.

Um...how do you figure? I have 40 acres. Still wouldn't be out there pulling weeds on it. The local farmer is small in terms of farming and does 2 to 3 thousand acres a year. No one will be pulling weeds by hand on that land.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Unless you grow it or it is in a greenhouse, farmer Joe may not be using chemicals for his "organic" food, but farmer Bob next door spraying on a windy day or allowing his pesticide to run-off into the community stream may be... don't believe everything. Governments set limits as to what is hazardous for our bodies and what isn't by doing lots of research and testing. If it is above the toxic limit, you will see it pulled from shelves.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Explain why organic is better? I don't have to explain it, your taste buds will explain it. Go pick up an organic local cantaloupe and a pesticide sprayed conventional cantaloupe and have a taste off.
    They did this at a fair one time. Absolutely couldn't tell any difference. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Unless you eat the peel, you can't tell (even if you do.. you can't tell). Most of the chemicals sprayed will be found at such a low level, no one can taste it. Peel it if you are worried.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Explain why organic is better? I don't have to explain it, your taste buds will explain it. Go pick up an organic local cantaloupe and a pesticide sprayed conventional cantaloupe and have a taste off.
    They did this at a fair one time. Absolutely couldn't tell any difference. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Unless you eat the peel, you can't tell (even if you do.. you can't tell). Most of the chemicals sprayed will be found at such a low level, no one can taste it. Peel it if you are worried.

You hit the nail on the head! Someone else mentioned bananas. Of course you won't taste chemicals on fruit if you are throwing the peel in the garbage.