Replies

• lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    Say, "and you would be too if you weren't such an A**hole " =]
  • pabisc
    pabisc Posts: 17
    Options
    I have to admit, my uncle actually said something like that once. Pretty much told me I wouldn't find a decent man until I lost weight. Of course my aunt is too thin - sometimes I feel like I'm going to break her when I hug her. It would be hard to live with someone who's expectations of me was to look like a skeleton.

I want to lose weight to be healthy.
    I want to lose weight to feel good about myself and have more energy.
    I don't want to lose weight to be pretty.
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    People say that because wonderful person as you may be, attractiveness is attractiveness, and people don't tend to find obesity attractive.
    Yes, you should be valued as a person for your brain, and your heart, and your accomplishments, but those don't necessarily make you attractive.
    Attractiveness is physical, and an overweight person probably isn't as attractive as the same person without the extra fat.
    It's not a polite thing to say, but that doesn't make it untrue.

If you want people to value you for who you are as a person, then ignore any commentary on your physical appearance. But don't go expecting people to change what is considered an attractive appearance.

I politely disagree. Being attracted to someone because they are intelligent, sensitive, sweet, or funny can all be very valid reasons to like someone. I rarely date someone because they're "good-looking" You could have a 6-pack and the face of a model but if you're a total *kitten* I won't give you the time of day. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect people to be less shallow and less judgmental.

I see what you're getting at and understand what you're talking about about; however there is quite the difference between being attracted to someone and someone being attractive. For instance, I think Rhianna is very attractive. Am I attracted to her? No. That chick has more issues than hoarders have tissues. I have to agree with kairisika with what she said. There is a standard of measurement that will always be in place...Heck! Everywhere else in the world uses the metric system while the US uses the standard. Why? It's what we're accustomed to and we just don't want to change it. Same with our standard of beauty. Would I look better with less fat around my face, neck, belly, and butt? Sure and I know this so therefore I have to work my butt off to get the job done because I love food way too much to just expect it to happen.
    Please don't take their comments too seriously. They are just speaking from a place of societal norms.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Sure...if I had a dime for everytime I heard "You have such a pretty face....." I would be rich now. Gotta love back-handed compliments....NOT
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    While some of the comments in this thread are pretty cringe-worthy (including the title example), I think people often find offense where there isn't any. If someone says, "You have a pretty face," the only one making that negative is you. That person didn't have to compliment you at all, but they went out of their way to do so. They could have said nothing or said something tremendously insulting, like, "Wow, you're disgusting and ugly." But instead they point out something good about you. How the hell is that an insult?

Honestly, I take the "you have a pretty face" comment as far more complimentary than "you're gorgeous." I tend to feel insulted by the latter. Why? Because I know it isn't true. I know I have some good facial features and am good at putting on makeup. I also know that my body isn't attractive and I dress like s*** on top of it. Somebody who compliments one is more likely to be telling the truth than the other. I'd rather take the real compliment than someone blowing smoke up my *kitten*.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I used to get the "you've got a lovely face...*insert 'shame about the bod' here*".

Thing is, I knew they were right.

Did I have the same sense of humour; generous spirit; kind heart when I was several stone overweight? Of course I did. Did I know that being overweight, and the (whether I liked it or not) associated stigmas with that would be detrimental to my attractiveness? Yes. Did I know that my weight, in the eyes of the beholder, may stand in the way of their perception of said bleeding heart? Yus to that too. Didn't like it, but accepted it.

Is it rude? A little inconsiderate, yes. Was it true in my case? I think so. The truth did hurt. People MEANT well, but were just a little insensitive at times. Sadly, you can't go through life avoiding that.
  • anfechtungen
    Options
    I think I would summarize this whole discussion with something my ex-Marine father told me early on in my often tortuous dating years (although I believe the original discussion was about rifles...but it still applies :smile: ): "Looks ain't everything, son." Damn simple and effective advice - been happily married for 20 years. Thanks Dad!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    225391156320537928YmHsvBm4c.jpg
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options
    I also have such a pretty face. Well, I do ;) but I'm sick of it! haha. You know butterface - her body is awesome but her face, ug!? I like to say I'm a butterbody. See it's 2 fold because I am so pretty "but her body ug!", and it's a body made courtesy of butter.

Joking aside though, yes I am sick of people telling me I have a pretty face. Or "you would be so pretty if you just..." Yeah I know I need to lose weight, a lot of it, but people need to mind their own business. Either compliment something about me and shut up or just plain shut up.

Overweight people experience rudeness and discrimination, and I think that surprises some people.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I've heard something similar before, but me being the type of person I am, I call people out when they say something stupid. If I heard that particular phrase I'd say, "You are SHOCKINGLY unaware of how offensive that is, aren't you?"
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options
    After reading some of the comebacks I got to thinking "You'd be so stunning if" and I wish I could come back with "Thanks. Gosh I don't know what you could do that would make you stunning. Oh well genes are genes"
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Said to me by a "friend" when I was in grade school - "My mom said you'd be so pretty if you lost some weight." I've carried that comment with me ever since!
  • knjm4v
    knjm4v Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree on this one! "you have such a pretty face" OMG I heard that my whole life!!!!
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. My mom has told me that my whole life.
  • amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    you have such a pretty face......sounds like a compliment....keeps me awake at night :mad: :sad: haha....worst compliment ever!!! thats why we're all here ladies so we dont have to listen to s**t like that anymore.....keep up the good work all :smile:
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    but they will ALWAYS be stupid.

And everyone knows you can't fix stupid! ;)
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I say this to myself a lot....:sad:
    And then on good days I happen to notice something I like on my body and then say
    " What the heck am I saying I'm dam hot now" :love:
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would show them how stunning my fist is when it comes into contact with their face.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I would show them how stunning my fist is when it comes into contact with their face.
    ^^^
    Win.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on this one person. There are people out there that find you stunning now. There are also people who don't find you attractive at all. Everyone has different tastes. Some people are a little rude about their opinions but you have to deal with it.

This ^^^^