"You would be STUNNING if you just lost some weight"

Replies

• Tatonluv
    Tatonluv Posts: 18 Member
    My favorite is "you're beautiful what happened?? If you lost all that weight you'd be a knockout!" I'm like you're pretty cool but do me a favor never "say something nice to me as a friend" captain obvious
  • Has anyone ever gotten this "compliment" before? Why am I not stunning now? :( Idk, it just hurts...like the only way I'll ever be desirable is if I'm skinny.

I really hate backhanded compliments. I have received those before. "You would look really great if you lost 20 pounds" or when it comes to guys, they might say things in your face such as "the other one was way hotter or something". As mentioned before here, it usually comes from men who need both a face and body transplant. I never had an actual good-looking guy give me a back-handed compliment that I can recall or that I was affected by, I don't remember. But it does mess me up how people with body mass are treated like folk devils and when their weight normalizes others react as if we'd shed some kind of moral fault or something. Every once in a while when I show myself in that normal, standard, "pretty" look even my snarky aunts comment suddenly like "you're beautiful!" and whatnot. Ugh. As if I wasn't able to project beauty before.

Why can't you see me as someone interesting now?
    Why do you notice me only after I lost the weight?

I became infatuated with this guy and his girlfriend was/is STICK THIN. Her head is bigger than her body. She always dressed fashionably and spent more time taking care of her accessories/hair/look more than I did. She was like a little fashion plate. A couple of years later I'd lost some weight, this was after an alternate relationship I had to seek because he was unavailable for me. After that breakup I had more time to do cardio, hit the gym and take bellydance lessons. Suddenly, I had morphed in his eyes into this improved and "sophisticated" version of my previous self. See? Implications that overweight people are careless and primitive, which aren't really true. She cheated on him continuously and he developed something of a crush on yours truly. But I could not bring myself to do anything with him because he only kept seeking me out to his convenience, even in secret. He would tell me things personally when nobody was watching. Tried to lure me into sex with him at the very inopportune moment when my mother had passed away, whereas before he was absent from my life, never available. And he was not available after that incident to make contact with me in a better moment for intimacy. Before the incident of my mom's death, he wanted to be seen publicly flirting with me at a party only after his girlfriend introduced him to her new partner, to be seen as somebody who gets around. He told his friends I was hot. But I could not bring myself to let him take advantage of me.

Likewise with other friends, instead of saying "you are attractive", they say something like "I can't recognize you". I'm fed up with these ridiculous notions that fat is like a moral taint.

I'd like to be liked for the essence of who I am, not for the ****ing cultural figure I am trying to imitate so witty and skillfully or the brand of fashion I wear or where I work or who my friends are or any of that bull****.
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Ew this just reminded me of a terrible experience. In high school this guy stopped me in the hall and said "You are pretty hot, I'd have s** with you if you weren't so fat."

There are SO many things wrong with that experience, calling me fat is the least of it! Why are people like this?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    I've thought it a lot but never said it. Honestly though I have seen a lot of women who had such absolutely gorgeous faces, smiles, and personalities that the fact that they were 20, 30, or even 40 lbs overweight did absolutely nothing to make them seem less attractive. In fact, to be perfectly honest, there is a girl on my friends list who is exactly what I described. She could stand to lose a fair bit of weight but with the way her face looks I'm fairly certain her weight would be a total non-issue.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    I get this all the time.

"You're be a total ten if you lost weight!"

"You know how gorgeous you'd be if you lost weight?"

"You are so pretty for a big girl."

It's definitely a backhand compliment...
  • Kimber415
    Kimber415 Posts: 31 Member
    I had lost about 40 pounds, was going through a divorce, met someone that said that exact same thing, told me I was like a 10 but I could be like a 12 if I'd loose weight. Imagine my dispare when I'd just worked my butt off to lose 40 pounds. Anyway, that was the first and last date with him, he left that message on my phone when I was in a class. Since then, I've gained back every pound so am just starting again, down 11 in the first three weeks but have about 50 more to go. Why do people say such hurtful things? Good luck on your journey!
  • gah! i have gotten that comment all my life. it makes you feel like your not good enough and it ruins the whole day. that and the you have such a beautiful face, you deserve a good body to go with it. it kinda gets on my nerves even if the people saying it mean well.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    I've never gotten that one but heard a lot of "What the F....K happened to you?!?!" or "Do I know you?"
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    i suppose it's not so good a comment because it offers no help. a bit like 'eat less' is no real help to someone trying to lose weight. however, seeing a pretty person who is fat is a bit like seeing an obese person run the 100m in 10.2 seconds. Inevitably you tend to think, "if that person just lost the weight and trained a bit, they would be incredible".

i dont know why anyone would find this insulting. you're basically being old that you have the potential. not everyone has potential. me, i will look 10 times better when i finish losing the weight and toning up, but i'm probably not going to be super sexy. i don't think i have that potential. if i did, i'd say there was even more reason to get healthy. it would motivate me.

looking at it another way, i remember as a teen losing 50lbs (unhealthily i may add, hence my struggle until joining MFP) and suddenly people started saying, "yeah, cos you were really fat before". it became a joke amongst friends, who joked freely about how fat i used to be. clearly they were thinking that when i was fat. Somehow I'd prefer a friend sit me down and tell me im overweight and give me some help, rather than someone who just said nothing.

i have a friend who used to be incredibly pretty with a gorgeous body. now she is incredibly pretty with a fat body. im going to put a bit of thought into how i tell her, but make no bones about it i plan on telling her.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    you are a awesome husband! my husband tells me this every time I turn around no matter if it is because I am discourage from not loosing or someones smug a** comment!!
    There is so much difference between a fat male and a fat female. Guys can be 50 over and still its not as big a deal as a girl that is 50 over. I dont think this is very fare but sometime people are just ****s!

My wife is the most beautiful woman I know. She is over weight. Now if she was skinny would she be better looking? In society's eyes yes in my eye no! My wife is beautiful and attractive no matter what happens. I didn't marry her just for the way she looks! I love her because of the person she is! The mother of my children, the woman of my dreams! In this world shallowness is like a cancer that infects our young people and makes us think if we dont all look like supermodels then there is something wrong with us!

Well I say F___ that! If people dont love you because of who you are as a person they are not worth your time! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Its the truth if we could only see the beauty of a person on the inside!!!! There would be a lot of ugly people!
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    That is a terrible comment, but at least someone compliments your looks. I don't think I have ever gotten that in my entire life, with or without the added "if you only lost weight" part.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Erm hang on... To the person saying appearance is the attraction and weight isn't attractive etc...
    It might be the INITIAL attraction but it certainly ends there if the person is a complete ar$e. There is Celebrity Big Brother showing at the moment in the UK and there is a model in there called Jasmine Lennard. She is a nice looking woman, she says herself she needs to put on weight, but man she has a horrible personality. She picks fights, tells lies about the other housemates and is an out and out vile individual (In my opinion obviously not gospel). To me she looks ugly. Her face looks too big for her body, she has straggly hair and sallow skin. I didn't notice those things before she started being a total b1tch. Go figure.
    I used to date a man who was a Gym manager. He had a handsome face and a really buff body. He was also as interesting as watching paint dry. After a few weeks I found him thoroughly unattractive.
    So you can speak for yourself thank you, attraction is the whole package NOT just a physical appearance of a person.

This is what 'm talking about! Attraction is only skin deep for a shallow POS!

• I became infatuated with this guy and his girlfriend was/is STICK THIN. Her head is bigger than her body. She always dressed fashionably and spent more time taking care of her accessories/hair/look more than I did. She was like a little fashion plate. A couple of years later I'd lost some weight, this was after an alternate relationship I had to seek because he was unavailable for me. After that breakup I had more time to do cardio, hit the gym and take bellydance lessons. Suddenly, I had morphed in his eyes into this improved and "sophisticated" version of my previous self. See? Implications that overweight people are careless and primitive, which aren't really true. She cheated on him continuously and he developed something of a crush on yours truly. But I could not bring myself to do anything with him because he only kept seeking me out to his convenience, even in secret. He would tell me things personally when nobody was watching. Tried to lure me into sex with him at the very inopportune moment when my mother had passed away, whereas before he was absent from my life, never available. And he was not available after that incident to make contact with me in a better moment for intimacy. Before the incident of my mom's death, he wanted to be seen publicly flirting with me at a party only after his girlfriend introduced him to her new partner, to be seen as somebody who gets around. He told his friends I was hot. But I could not bring myself to let him take advantage of me.

Needless to say, the really skinny girl "confirms" on her Facebook that she has been in a relationship with him since 2002. The most promiscuous, least fluid-bonded, least intimate relationship but to each his own. I have seen them have relationships with other people, official relationships -especially from her part- and I am by no means the person who will try to change a pattern of on-and-off lukewarm quasi-couples. This is about me and what I think about myself. Learning to have commitment to myself, approve of myself and learn to love myself. If a person is not willing to accept me for who I am or does not want any responsibility for the feelings that they provoke in me, then it's not worth it to attract those people or energy. I have to look back in time and how I was when this person gravitated towards me and how I see myself and life from a different perspective now. At the time I felt I was incomplete and totally undeserving so I fell in love with an inaccessible ****. Nowadays I see how he really is and loathe a lot of the things he does:the drinking, drugging, gambling, etc. That's not something I want.
  • danijolson
    danijolson Posts: 32 Member
    Ive been told that I have a beautiful pregnancy glow not once but TWICE by different people- I am not pregnant by the way and never have been. It was a little sad, but I guess thats what motivates me!!
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    What a nasty thing to say about someone.
    My response would be "and you would be an awesome friend if you weren't such an @$$"
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    well.....although i would never EVER tell that to someone - i often think it of myself.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    I really don't know why all of you are acting as if it's some kind of insult being told you'd be prettier if you weren't so overweight.

Let's be honest with ourselves here, the vast majority of people in the world, bar the odd fat fetishists and BBW fans, generally don't find very overweight and obese people to be attractive to look at. They take one look at the huge amount of flab bulging out and the fat rolls and the muffin top and the double chin and they find it very hard to find that person physically attractive because of it, even if they have a beautiful face.

Come on now people. You have to admit that. If YOU thought fat was attractive, if YOU thought that you looked just as beautiful fat as you do skinny, you wouldn't be on this site trying to lose weight in the first place.

I don't think I've ever *said* 'you'd be so pretty if you lost weight' to anyone because I'm worried that they'd take it the wrong way, like all of you seem to. But I've certainly thought it in my head. I have one friend for example who is very obese - BMI of about 37 - but has always had SUCH a pretty face and I just think it's such a shame. Rip me to shreds if you will; she has a really pretty face now, but which ever way you slice it, there's no denying that she really would be so much prettier if she wasn't so huge. And that is how most people feel. Sorry if it offends you.
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    ive gotten " you are so pretty you should be a plus size model"

but yes given the choice i would much rather have a pretty face rather than a pretty body. people look more at your face anyways.plus weight can be lost..faces are kind of stuck there. haha

but im working on having a pretty face AND body. that would be A-MAZE-ZA-ZING-!
  • almamiranda
    almamiranda Posts: 13 Member
    My personal favorite was when someone told me "You would be so beautiful if you lost some weight!" :huh: Who say's stuff like that...They were right but REALLY who says that! LOL!
  • OMG, I get "You are SO funny!" That's it. that's the only compliment I ever got. Sometimes I get the "You could be cute if..." if what? I swapped bodies with someone? I was abducted by aliens and they probbed my fat away? :| Ugh.