Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wonder, why do so many women even want to shop in the girls' section? You would never hear grown men bragging about still being able to fit into clothes from the boys' department LOL
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I wonder, why do so many women even want to shop in the girls' section? You would never hear grown men bragging about still being able to fit into clothes from the boys' department LOL

have you ever shopped for pants in the men's dept. and the young men's dept. (equivalent to JRs)

The pants are the same size, shape and very little difference outside of the distressed styles.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of cute tops and dresses that are technically from the "juniors" department---and they all look really cute and classy. Basic flowy tanks and sheath dresses, I actually have 2 pairs of pants in juniors that fit just fine and don't look too young or anything. But we're talking juniors department at Nordstrom, not like Agaci Too or something. Ahhh I remember my Agaci days...

This....
    My favorite brand of jeans, are found in the juniors dept lol
    I like the way they fit and they aren't hip huggers
    Just because I am a mom does NOT mean I have to rock the "mom jeans"
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Age 23

Favorite store: Abercrombie

Reason: Trendy styles, women's sizes.

Yummmm... too bad they're so pricey, and complete *kitten* to anyone over a size 10. :[

i'm 47 and i still love Abercrombie's rugged outdoorsy active clothing/style. I still go look sometimes!! I've always been "hippy" and I used to dream about being able to wear the women's jeans back in the day (i've always been a small/medium Junior's on top but i could never get my booty in those jeans :laugh:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

There's a big difference between "girls" clothes and "juniors" clothes. Same with "boys" and "mens". While I could most certainly fit into a little girls sized skirt I don't think the Sesame Street characters that adorn it are very professional.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    "Buy Petites"

Hahaha, easy for someone to say who is not short.
  • stockholmhasago
    Options
    As someone in their early 20s, no thanks. I'm not ready to go into shoulder pad territory and really awful "grandmother's couch print" skirts.

And no muffin top here; the size of my pants is known to me so I'd rather go up a size than wear something smaller and look like *kitten* :D
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I do what I want
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    No.

They are only cheaply made if you shop at Forever21.

I have to have a young vibrant hip look when I go to work and H&M has saved me on many occasions. Im not an old lady. I dont want to wear shoulder pads and Sears clothes for grownups.

I am 100% entirely allowed to have my own style and no one else's version of classy is a blanket obligation on me.

I dress up for work, I wear sundresses and skirts that spin out when I twirl and little black mini skirts and tank tops and oversized tshirts with yoga pants and shorts with heels and Audrey Hepburn tshirts and skinny jeans with boots and off the shoulder sequined sparkliness.

I shop junior websites cause they are the only ones that carry jeans and pants for a 37" inseam that dont look like my grandma should be wearing them. I dont like the polyester and synthetic fabrics in all of the women's clothing, the patterns are ugly and old and mostly look like the fabrics on the couches in dentists offices.

I want phrases and jokes on my tshirts, half dressed women, holes cut out to show skin and long sleek lines. I like bold colors in flattering cuts.

I am working FAR TOO HARD on my beautiful body to button it up in some modesty before style get up.

And women over the age of 20? really?

No accounting for whether that person is a mom, a grandma, a banker, a mountain climber, a fashionista, a 21 year old that weighs 100 pounds, a quirky wild female drummer in a rock band......

these women that act like just because we are the same gender species etc means we are all exactly alike and only look classy one way is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

I dress fabulous. From the juniors section.
  • yoovie
    Options
    As someone in their early 20s, no thanks. I'm not ready to go into shoulder pad territory and really awful "grandmother's couch print" skirts.

And no muffin top here; the size of my pants is known to me so I'd rather go up a size than wear something smaller and look like *kitten* :D

omg kindred spirits i thought the same thing
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think the key is wear what fits and what's age-appropriate or work appropriate. I'm amazed that I even have to tell an intern (at an office) not to wear her Forever 21 bandage mini skirt into work. Don't be stuck on fitting into the correct number size, just wear what fits and looks good. If it fits, you will look a million bucks.

At the same time, in what world does non-junior clothes equal shoulder pads, mom jeans and couch patterned skirts? There seems to be some reverse ageism going on in this thread too.

I'm 32 and I haven't shopped at a junior-type store, or even a Forever 21 type store in years and I don't have shoulder pads or mom jeans. I find trendy and classic styles at J Crew, Limited, WHBM, Michael Kors, BCBG, Gap or Calvin Klein.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

agreed completely! drives me crazy when i see 30 year olds in juniors.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

go ahead, have a heart attack

310846_10150787896250107_2326626_n.jpg
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I buy what looks good and fits. Totally don't care what department it came from or what the number on the tag is. I find a lot of the so-called "adult" clothes to be frumpy.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I still shop in the juniors section at Penney's for jeans since they are dirt cheap and have a ton of them, and I usually wear a size 12 long..I had to buy a 15 long in jeans. It was discouraging but when I thought about it...I knew that it was just because they were baby jeans!!
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Please send this to my MIL.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Because you can tell just by looking at someone that their clothes were bought in the juniors department? Wow. You're amazing!

For the record, the dress I'm wearing in my profile picture was NOT purchased in the juniors department of any store, online or otherwise.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I shop in the juniors department for jeans because if I go to the women's section, they assume you have a butt and larger thighs if you wear a 10/12 like me. I have NO butt and women's jeans just don't fit me as well as the juniors.
  • staceface519
    Options
    Used to work in JCPenneys. . . tell me about it. . . i like the 60 year old women shopping in the childrens section. . . one step DOWN from juniors. . . .*SMH*. . horrid
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Amen! And ladies please stop wearing jeans with your muffin top hanging out....I don't care if you squeezed into a size 6....not all of you is inside the pants where it belongs. Some things just shouldn't be worn on certain body types even if it's in style...wear what looks best on your body and not your 12 year old daughter.

^^This....with the tight baby tees on top. Lawdy lawdy! :noway: