Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks, Tom. I have a ride home, but I'm really nervous about the whole procedure. I'm one of those "I want to know exactly step-by-step what to expect" type of people, so I'm full of questions. My doctor said that the whole process of the endoscopy only take a few minutes. So, is it literally just a little while (like 15 minutes or so) from when you're awake, to drugged and 'out of it', to awake again? :huh:
    From the time they give you the 'knock out', it's only a few seconds to 'out of it'. Next thing I remember, a nurse is saying 'time to get up' nd it was just like waking up from a nap, maybe even better.

Thanks- interesting (and scary!) what they can do with some good medicine, huh?
  • sassyl
    sassyl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The worst thing about the endoscopy was the nurses offering me a lovely looking, gluten laden sandwich after the op! Don't worry, it'll be fine, and it's such a relief to get the results.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.
  • heather2219
    Options
    Hi, I have a gluten allergy, but I really don't know much about it yet, just started to do the research. I am so glad to see that there is a support group for this issue. Talk to you soon.
  • amyjo8888
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am fairly new to this website and just came across this gluten free thread! I am so happy to see you all on here! I was diagnosed with Celiac in 1995. I am a 29 year old wife and Mama to two little boys. I hope that you are all doing great! I just wanted to introduce myself!
    amy
  • yvonneh
    yvonneh Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi everybody. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I searched "gluten-free" on Amazon.com and found a lot of the products I like at a good price, plus if you order over $25, a lot of them have free shipping.
  • athman97
    Options
    I just joined MFP a few days ago and just realized there's a "community" here! I was diagnosed with Celiac in 2001 and have been gluten free ever since. For the past year, I've had a rough time really sticking with the diet. I know it makes me sick, but stress and life have just gotten the better of me. I am a 30 year old with 3 young boys (5,3,1) who are also gluten free. My husband is the only one who isn't but should be! I have battled with my weight my entire life, but I weigh the most I ever have, except when I was pregnant. I had a heart attack in early 2001 which lead to the gradual weight gain. I'm hoping this is the year I get back to a healthy weight and get 100% gluten free again. It's not going to be easy, but I know it's what I need to do to be healthy.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I searched "gluten-free" on Amazon.com and found a lot of the products I like at a good price, plus if you order over $25, a lot of them have free shipping.

WOAH! Inever thought of looking it up on Amazon! What a great idea!

Welcome Amyjo, Heather and Athman!

I am on a mission to see if I can find a gluten-free bakery in Medford OR. My son's birthday is next month and his class is going bowling that same day! ( not because of his birthday) I thought it would be cool to take everyone cupcakes that are GF since we are, then we can eat them too!
  • amyjo8888
    Options
    Nicole, thanks for the welcome! I am not sure about a bakery in your area, but we just celebrated my sons third birthday and used the new Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mixes and they were a huge hit with everyone! I do not think most people even knew they were gf! If you cannot find them at your local grocery store, you can buy them on amazon!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hi :flowerforyou:

My son has celiac and I could use some fast easy dinner ideas! Anyone who could help me out? I am very new to this and having a hard time.
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am not allergic to gluten (that I know of) but my mother has Celiac so I can totally relate to the stories about finding foods and the going away party for the teacher with celiac...my mom goes through those situations all the time. We try very hard to find gluten free foods or recipes when we have her over or go to see her. I have often thought about starting a gluten free diet just in case I develop Celiac, but haven't converted totally. I do buy some breakfast bars and cereals that are gluten free...i guess baby steps..:tongue:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hi :flowerforyou:

My son has celiac and I could use some fast easy dinner ideas! Anyone who could help me out? I am very new to this and having a hard time.

We have chicken on the grill or baked in the oven, hamburgers minus the bun, or you can buy GF buns, baked potatoes, rice, etc., etc, the possibilities are endless! If you are into making your own bread, I have a great bread recipe!
  • amyjo8888
    Options
    Hi!

Some fast dinner ideas...

Cook up lean ground beef or ground turkey ahead of time. Then during the week you can season into tacos and eat them with mission corn tortillas or add italian seasoning and spaghetti sauce and cook up some tinkyada pasta (they have an easy fast cooking method) for two nice dinners.

We often will grill quite a bit of chicken, one night will be salads that have grilled chicken, salad greens, chopped cilantro, etc. Another night will be fajitas, we just saute in pam some onions, bell peppers and poblanos, and then you could just warm and top with store bought pico.

For a really fast dinner, I just nuke the Hillshire Farms turkey sausage and put some Ore-Ida Golden Crinkles in the oven. The kids really like those nights.

Stir fry is another thing we do often. I just buy the bagged washed veggies and steam them in the microwave. Cut and cook the chicken. Add in Kraft sweet and sour sauce, some gluten free soy sauce (we use san-j wheat free tamari) and some ground ginger, mix in the steamed veggies and serve on white rice. Or use left over white rice to make a fried rice with the grilled chicken from earlier in the week.

If I have leftover spaghetti sauce I sometimes make it into pizza with the chebe roll dough, 2% mozarella, and hormel turkey pepperoni.

I hope some of this helps!
    Amy
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Well guys, one week for today is my endoscopy :embarassed: I'm SO nervous and anxious about it- I feel like I won't sleep all week! :sick:

Of course, it will be nice to know what the deal is. This has been about 4 months of not knowing what the heck is wrong with me. I don't know how those of you that went years without knowing did it! :noway:
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well guys, one week for today is my endoscopy :embarassed: I'm SO nervous and anxious about it- I feel like I won't sleep all week! :sick:

Of course, it will be nice to know what the deal is. This has been about 4 months of not knowing what the heck is wrong with me. I don't know how those of you that went years without knowing did it! :noway:

Hey girl, it is going to be fine.. (i know easier said then done.) I am going in soon to get another one done. I am having problems with my Crohn's. :cry: I don't think my meds are working?!?!?
  • iRun4wine
    Options

Hey girl, it is going to be fine.. (i know easier said then done.) I am going in soon to get another one done. I am having problems with my Crohn's. :cry: I don't think my meds are working?!?!?

Thanks for the reassurance! And yes, easier said than done! :laugh:

Hope you feel better soon- that stinks that your meds aren't working! Hang in there :smile:
  • burbmama
    Options
    Hello...

I am new to the site and I am loving it. I am glad that I found more gluten-free information. My 12 year old was diagnosed over two years ago and that was after over a year of trying to figure out what was wrong. My two younger kiddos, 6 and 8, don't seem to have any reactions to gluten but my 6 year old does have a sensitive tummy. It has been really tough sometimes because my mom has the kids after school and on Sundays when I work so we have two houses that we have to keep "clean". I am very lucky that my 12 year old is very creative with her food and is so willing to try new things (my other two are ultra picky eaters).

Because of the toll it took on my 12 year old body, she gained weight when we were trying to figure out what was going on. The bummer is, you cant just walk into a doctor, they do a blood test and either you have celiac or you dont. My daughter seems to be really wanting to be healthy and has joined me on the eating right and exercising path. We both have our doctors in our corner. Together we figured out what calories we should both have and the proper mix of other ingredients. The site is pretty accurate compared to what my doctor suggests. We are members of the local YMCA and they have programs where teens/pre-teens get trained on the cardio equipment and are allowed to use the equipment with a guardian present. She always loves to swim and we have three horses so she rides a few times a week. So this has become a fun family change now...my little ones love to take turns doing the wii fit and see who can hold a pose the longest or do the most hula-hoops..etc.

Our biggest struggle has been finding snacks that are GF that dont have a funny texture. She loves tapioca bread but hates the brown rice. Any suggestions?????? She needs things that she can grab and go on her way to school or 4H or friends house??? We do have a Natures and a Trader Joes close but are on a tight budget.
  • burbmama
    Options
    I forgot...we recently ran into a issue with birthday cakes/cupcakes/cookies....last year the cake we had made was $60 dollars....yikes. I have gotten alot of info on google and so I did a search on gluten free cakes and the first link that came up was for Betty Crockers NEW GF mixes...I figured it was going to still be expensive and wasnt sure if it was in stores yet. We made a trip to Safeway and found the brownie mix, cake mix and cookie mix. Each mix under $4 dollars. SWEET! You make it the same way as the normal mixes...add water, oil and egg. Also, they are so yummy and dont have a funny texture...

They are a HAVE TO HAVE!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I make bread two loaves at a time and slice it for easy taking along with string cheese. Don't know if you've got a costco around, but they have some good gluten free choices also, rice crackers that I like to put with hummus (prepack a little tupperware bowl to dip the crackers) and jennie o lean turkey kielbasa that we cut and put in a container so we can just take it out quickly if we want. Fresh fruit is always easy to grab too, and we also get the betty crocker fruit snacks and keep some of those in a bag with GF pretzels in a container and raisins. And my 3 year old is taking off her clothes and saying she wants a bath, so I better go!
  • yvonneh
    yvonneh Posts: 64
    Options
    Another dinner idea - We used Mrs. Leeper's corn spaghetti to make a baked spaghetti. The corn spaghetti texture and taste are better to me than the rice spaghetti. Just cooked & drained the whole bag of spaghetti, mixed in several crushed garlic cloves, italian seasoning, and 1 cup ricotta cheese, then spread it in the dish and covered with 1 jar of marinara sauce and mozzarella, then baked for 25 minutes @ 375. I never even thought about missing the regular pasta! It made 12 servings, so we had leftovers for a quick dinner after work.