The 2 sides to MFP

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    ... seriously, I used this site for 9ish months before I posted a comment. I didn't really notice the forums -- you have to go LOOKING for the more PG-13 section and there is NO reason why that can't exist because everyone using this site is supposed to be 18.

Craigslist has a ton trash on it -- yet I found several legit jobs and apartments on it. Use the parts that work for you -- ignore those that don't apply to you. Simple as that.

If, the first time you went on Craiglists for a job, all you could see was trash, then you may well have gone and not returned - missing out on a useful site for you. Now you know what its about you can pick where you go - same as MFP

The first impression is what Im talking about
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Yoovie, I think you're still missing the point.

Nobody is saying you CAN'T celebrate your success. People are saying threads that RATE how sexy and good looking people are is a bit discouraging NOT encouraging. We should all feel beautiful in all stages of our loss. Not JUST when we reach our goal. And a thread that only celebrates those who have ripped bodies and low weight numbers is NOT helpful.

Considering these types of threads happen often because people get butt *kitten* bored at work or whatever they're doing, they are in fact always in one section.

Motivation and support? Well gosh..that seems like the right forum to look for encouragement. And there you find some people complaining about fit people.

This is an endless loop of blah.

Who is complaining about fit people?
  • stephygetsfit2
    Options
    I've actually lost braincells reading the forums here
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    anyone know how to add laughing and shaking head to my excercise......
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    iv never clicked on any of the highlighted threads... but my thoughts
    Rate the person above you - its the internet...
    What's sexy about the person above you? - will mention below...
    The person above - part 4- not sure what thats about without looking...
    Dear attractive men over 30 - again your on the internet...
    Who is your celebrity crush - true chit chat...
    Cutest thing about the person above you - part 7 - will mention below
    Ladies, who would you rather have a one night stand with? - not looked at if its just celebs true chit chat if its users internet pervyness...
    Hotest guy on MFP - internet pervyness...

but "What's sexy about the person above you?" and "Cutest thing about the person above you - part 7" means finding something sexy and cute in anyone and everyone... surely thats a confidence boost rather than a thing to frown upon....doesnt matter what you look like tall short thin fat elephant man or blue with purple spots there will be something sexy and cute about them... in fact i just had a peep at these 2.... and one definitely shouldnt judge a book by its cover... they are in chit chat there in the right place, chit chat is anything from the sky being grey to how beautiful zooey deschanel is what makes this place so great is that there is a community... if people couldnt let their hair down and were in a health and fitness straight jacket it would soon die... (unless your a health and fitness fanatic of course... )..id be gone for one...
    x
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Whatever you do just make sure you eat back the cals......Starvation mode is just waiting to ravage you!
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    So on my home page under recent forums there was only:

- My progress so far.....
    - In need of cheering up
    - Finished 30 day shred
    - Can't meet my fat requirements
    - Tired all the time

I chose not to click on any of them. Just like I choose not to type hotornot into my address bar on the top of the page. Weight loss / fitness is all about choices, and yet people seem to not understand it. Boggles my mind. :ohwell:

I'd rather get rid of the ads for Herbalife, Safeway and Gastric Bypass surgery.

On the recent posts there were over half from Chit chat as there are now. So he clicked on chit chat

Not a good idea

I'm guessing it was probably later at night then? You are more likely to see those forums active later rather than during the day I'd imagine.

If he is serious about getting healthy and losing wieght then I think MFP speaks for itself if he is shown the food tracking system and other more helpful forums. If he decides not to use MFP based on chit-chat forums alone then it's an excuse and he's not ready, or maybe MFP is just not for him. :ohwell:
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options

Whatever you do just make sure you eat back the cals......Starvation mode is just waiting to ravage you!
    :laugh: :wink: :happy:
  • pohlcm08
    pohlcm08 Posts: 61
    Options
    It's too bad that your friend got turned off from MFP because of the chit chat. Personally I've never read a chit chat forum, and I have only recently started reading any posts at all. For months I used MFP just as a personal way to track the calories I consume and the calories I burn, as well as my protein, fat, fiber intake etc. Maybe your friend can start out just like that without trying to make friends, even for motivation, to have a starting place. He can get comfortable with calories and fat burn and all that, and once he gets comfortable with it, then talk to others if he chooses to.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    But I'm confused as to why you believe the first impression is only chit chat. The recent forum posts are a small section of a homepage that is vastly devoted to health and fitness tools. Yes, I would be turned off if to use this site I had to sit through a 5 minute reality show snippet or click through entertainment news to get to the health and fitness. But that's not happening.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Who is complaining about fit people?

I am now! Or rather, I'm complaining about overly agressive, rude fit people who intentionally misinterpret a subject that was posted without attacking anyone and make everything personal.

I've figuratively bit my tongue toward all the snarky trolls for 13 pages, but seriously. Go away and check how many people think you're hot! I won't stop you. Hell, I'll probably be along to gawk at the thread before the day's over. Just quit being *kitten* to everyone who just want to have a constructive dialogue.
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    MoreCowbell.jpg
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    The 2 Sides to MFP:

The side where you blame others where ever you can, spend your time worrying about minutiae, and report everything you can.

And the awesome side, where you get fit, have fun, don't get butthurt, and make the kickassiest friends ever.

I'll stay on the awesome side, thanks. It was nice visiting over here. Oh, wait...no, not really.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't seen anyone that I can remember being a real *kitten*. There's bound to be a little resentment at being referred to as shallow and poor first impressions, though.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    "Rate The Person Above" and "What's Sexy About The Person Above", etc. etc. are posts created by insecure, narcissistic people who need to hear over and over again that they are 'hot' or 'sexy'.

BORING!!!
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most recent topics now

Four pounds, 1.5 ounces of Godiva Chocolates

I can't do it :(

What is your Favorite Month/Time of year?

Any other Daddy's take their daughters on dates?

Lose 30 pounds by Christmas with me!

You could say that the first 2 topics are discouraging ... couldn't you? And they are on topic. You can't tell your friend weight loss and fitness is a walk in the park if he join MFP he will see how easy it is...it's not easy ... people go through life and WL in the same time ... he is not the only one who needs encourgement ... everything could discourge you ...not just the Chit Chat... this whole subject is not even about MFP...you can walk by the bakery and it's discourging, you can't tell people they can't walk in though or close the bakery. Sorry ... I've read this argument back and forth all day ... and I had to say something, but I'm done reading this thread ... it's frustrating. You can find excuses, but that's all they are excuses.
  • kimdarren
    kimdarren Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with you. I don't give those messages the satisfaction of reading them. That's not what I'm on MFP for. I can honestly say that the friends I've got on MFP have been nothing but supportive to me and I'm very greatful for that. Tell your friend that if he does sign on to look me up.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    So on my home page under recent forums there was only:

- My progress so far.....
    - In need of cheering up
    - Finished 30 day shred
    - Can't meet my fat requirements
    - Tired all the time

I chose not to click on any of them. Just like I choose not to type hotornot into my address bar on the top of the page. Weight loss / fitness is all about choices, and yet people seem to not understand it. Boggles my mind. :ohwell:

I'd rather get rid of the ads for Herbalife, Safeway and Gastric Bypass surgery.

On the recent posts there were over half from Chit chat as there are now. So he clicked on chit chat

Not a good idea

I'm guessing it was probably later at night then? You are more likely to see those forums active later rather than during the day I'd imagine.

If he is serious about getting healthy and losing wieght then I think MFP speaks for itself if he is shown the food tracking system and other more helpful forums. If he decides not to use MFP based on chit-chat forums alone then it's an excuse and he's not ready, or maybe MFP is just not for him. :ohwell:

Not sure what time it was for the majority to be honest as from UK

His lack of interest could well be just an excuse not to use MFP, it's just that he seemed genuinly interested until he saw what he thought MFP was about - maybe it just wasn't what he was expecting?
  • Wonderob
    Options
    The 2 Sides to MFP:

The side where you blame others where ever you can, spend your time worrying about minutiae, and report everything you can.

And the awesome side, where you get fit, have fun, don't get butthurt, and make the kickassiest friends ever.

I'll stay on the awesome side, thanks. It was nice visiting over here. Oh, wait...no, not really.

I'm wondering who spends time worrying about the minutiae, and blaming others?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    The 2 Sides to MFP:

I'm wondering who spends time worrying about the minutiae, and blaming others?

Well, I do. But I have a really boring office job with long periods of inactivity and nothing but me and the internet soo.... ;)