What exercise are you doing that burns the most calories?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Swimming two or miles at a time.
    Working with a personal trainer keeps my heart rate up the full hour, so it is really circuit training.
    I have tried spinning. But it is too painful for me. Degenerative osteoarthitis (DOA) in my tailbone and left shoulder. I can't sit up to take the weight off my shoulder because then my ars hurts.
    Swimming doesn't bother either of them because the rotation doesn't put pressure on the area with almost no cartilage.
    Also have DOA in the first metitarsal on both feet. Had surgery on one already. So nothing that involves impact on the feet.
    Stretching has helped my shoulder range of motion.
  • snappled
    snappled Posts: 48
    Options
    Walking

I may start riding my bike again but my knees may cry " not this again".
  • golightlyphilosophy
    Options
    Kickboxing! I looooove Turbo Jam!
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Backpacking uphill with a 35 lbs. pack burns about 1000 plus calories an hour.
    Swimming leisurely burns about 600 which is awesome considering how easy it is to swim leisurely and add just a little oomph to your swimming and you'll burn about 1100 calories an hour give or take.
    All these are estimates...
  • nettersaurus
    Options
    Ultimate Frisbee! And it's so fun!
  • ReneeJ814
    ReneeJ814 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cybex Arc Trainer and Zumba. When I don't know what to do, I always go for either of those.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Running!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    treadmill highest incline of 30, speed walking at 3.9 mph....i burn 600 calories in 35 minutes
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Running or some kind of high intensity interval training (HIIT) does it for me.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I love the stepper/stairclimber at the gym
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    the elliptical will TELL you it burns the most calories (as will MFP), but i've read in multiple sources that those estimates are up to 43% in excess of what you truly burn. Personally I've moved from the elliptical to uphill running (I do a bit of each every day), specifically trying to gain speed with HIIT running. Kickboxing, swimming, etc might be faster calorie-burners, but personally I find them to be hard to come by and expensive. I hope you find something you enjoy!!
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight training composed of mostly compound movements (deadlifts, squats, stiff legged dl's, bench press, etc) I do 4 sessions a week, each one lasts about an hour.

i also run 3 mi. 3x/wk
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Cybex Arc Trainer -- It's like a super powered elliptical. I burn about 800 cals an hour on it!
    this
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Zumba: I burned 1200 calories in an hour and a half. :happy:
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is my main cardio
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    HIIT!
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts and Step aerobics burn the most for me.
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    Bootcamp: 75 minutes running hills, stairs and sand (live near the beach) with pushups, jump squats, dips, burpees thrown in. About half the class is pushing a double jogger. Burn around 700.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Running, Insanity, Elliptical, and Zumba.

Good luck! <3
  • lifescircle
    Options
    Right now...

Walking thru my neighborhood, which is pretty hilly, no flat land. I burn over 800 calories in over an hour, hour and a half. That's with my HRM.

Like some have said, your efficiency improves so the HRM really is the only thing that you can really use to judge your intensity. I check it every few minutes or so to make sure I'm working hard. And of course, some days are better than others.

Once I start running, I can decrease that time.