Morbidly Obese doctors

Options

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Don't we generally go to the doctor to get their help and opinion/ advice?
    I don't go there to judge them for their lifestyle, their size does not make their medical degree any less valid.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Don't we generally go to the doctor to get their help and opinion/ advice?
    I don't go there to judge them for their lifestyle, their size does not make their medical degree any less valid.

but since a lot of their requests are personal opinion.. if they don't know how to live a healthy lifestyle, its hard for them to really be helpful in perusing one.

Then again, im not there for their advice... Im normally only there to tell them run this test and give me the numbers, or give me an antibiotic.
    I look at it a lot like a car mechanic. While there are great mechanics out there, none of them are going to put the same amount of time effort and commitment into my car as I will.. they cant get it as good because they cant commit that much time to one car. I might not know anything about your car, but I know mine inside and out..... same thing goes for myself.
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, in fact having someone who knows my struggles can be comforting.

As a side note, I have yet to see anyone really healthy who is in orthopedicts. Guess all those knees and hips drive the point home.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My doctor is kind of heavy, but if she was bigger, it wouldn't bother me. When she gives me diet tips, she seems to really feel my frustration. Plus, she is trying to lose weight, so she can give me her own personal testimony. She is a human first, a doctor second :-).
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A doctors weight should be the last thing you worry about. I had a few friends that became doctors and went to a Uni with a large student nurse population - fun drinking people but dear God I try not to think about that when I visit them.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    That's like saying therapists should never get depressed, that hair stylists should never have a bad hair day, that stay at home moms should be perfect parents et cetera. You should never equate someones professional competency based on their personal life because their challenges are unique from the people they service. Some people are really good at helping other people and struggle when it comes to themselves. That being said, it isnt unreasonable to want what is best for them but it should be about them not the result of selfish and judgmental ambition. 90% of people know how to lose weight but knowing and doing are two completely different things.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    every doctor in my surgery is thin bar the one that owns it and hes just slightly more chunky!
    I dont think being overweight would make a bad doctor though its hard staying healthy, plus my partners doctor is a health nut!! pure mad about hiking and she is a stupid nasty cow loads of her patients have been complaining, so fat or skinny dosnt mean your bad or good at your job
  • pattyann1112
    Options
    One of my doctors is heavy also, but it works the opposite for me. I am more likely to visit her because I'm not intimidated.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Only thing I care about my doc is hearing my blood test results. They are adults and make whatever decisions they want about their own lives. I just worry about my own health and my family's health first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My doctor is uber fit and has the tiniest waist, and honestly her fitness levels don't bother me, she's a good doctor that's all that matters.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I had a morbidly obese Dr. once, and it bothered me b/c when I saw him, he never advised me that I needed to lose weight for my own health.

My current doctors are all thin/healthy weight, and have advised me to lose weight/fat for my health, which I appreciate.

So if obese doctors are less likely to advise their patients about the risks/benefits of weight & weight loss, then that's a problem. Otherwise, I can acknowledge that they're human, and subject to the same temptations & challenges as the rest of us, so who am *I* to criticize or judge them for their own condition? To me, it's no worse than doctors who smoke and know all the risks associated with that, but do it anyway.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    C'mon now.

As long as they are good, competent doctors I couldn't care less about their weight, or anything else pertaining to their personal life. That is their business. Would you feel more comfortable going to a fit doctor who will misdiagnose you? My gynecologist is a man, and he delivered both of my children. Maybe I should stop going to him since he doesn't have a uterus.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's parents are doctors. Surgeons, specifically, so they're mostly in the business of fixing problems rather than preventing them in the first place (mom's specialization is plastic surgery, dad is a general surgeon), but still - you'd think their particular line of work would make them *more* inclined to make good decisions. His dad eats more salt in a single day than I do all week, pouring the stuff on his dinner plate before he even tastes it. His dad is also probably about 40 pounds overweight, easily. Their clients seem to like them, so I guess they do good work, but it's still troubling.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Nope, none of my doctor's have ever been overweight. With that being said, I feel as though it's important to lead by example, especially in a healthcare field. That's why I'm taking the steps needed now in order to be a positive rolemodel for my future patients.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I do think that regardless of their lifestyle, doctors need to hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to health. When my daughter was in the hospital it always made me nuts to look out the window and see the number of doctors and nurses standing just off the property to smoke.

"Do as I say, not as I do" should not apply.

Why shouldn't it apply? If a doctor knows how to make someone healthy or healthier, are you suggesting that they shouldn't do it because they don't keep themselves healthy?

I'm saying that doctors should not be allowed to use "Do as I say, not as I do" as an excuse to be unhealthy. They need to lead by example.

Edit to add- I'm not saying a doctor can't be a bit overweight, but obese is or smoking is another thing. I prefer my and my children's physicians practice what they preach.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Last doctor I went to was a urologist and I think his finger was too big.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    They are human and capable of faults just like us. More hospitals and other health care fields nowadays are pushing their employees to lose weight and show healthy lifestyles. I know--for a fact--that some require employees in positions of power to weigh in or meet other health goals (like to stop smoking).

We all know how hard it is to lose weight and the pressure we put ourselves under. Can you imagine having your boss tie your work goals and bonus pay to how much weight you've lost or gained lately!? I'm mean, it's great that they are taking notice and want their employees to practice what they preach, but I personally would not want that sort of personal/professional cross on something like that! Can you imagine the extra pressure that adds?

Odds are that any doctor or nurse you know that is overweight is already well aware of it and may even be working to change it. If they work with a large system there are likely incentives and employee fitness programs that they are strongly encouraged or even required to participate in. But that doesn't mean they can do it overnight or that they'll want to tell you all about it. They deserve privacy too.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    For a regular doctor like a general practitioner to be overweight... whatever. But I'm not going to heed his/her advice to lose weight if they give it to me.

If I'm seeing a nutritionist or dietitian who is overweight... we got a real problem here.

However, I feel if you are working in the health field, you should probably be pretty healthy.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I honestly. Think I'd see a doctor who was morbidly obese. I could handle a little overweight- but not morbidly obese. That is a serious conflict in my book- they obviously aren't interested in their own health, why would they truly be invested in mine. I'm not saying they shouldn't practice medicine, I just prefer not to go to them. If I knew my doctor smoked I would also find another doctor. In my eyes, a doctor should be utilizing the knowledge they have to live the best possible life. If they ignore all of that information and live an unhealthy lifestyle, what are they ignoring about my health?
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    A doctor's knowledge has nothing to do with what they choose to do with their knowledge. Maybe they have conditions that make it extremely hard for them to lose weight. One never knows. My doctor is my good friend (yes kind of awkward) and she has a perfect body. I do have issues with marriage councelors or psychologists giving advice when they can't even make their own marriages work though.