Diet and Exercise vs. Surgery. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• blu143
    blu143 Posts: 27
    Options
    Stirring the pot a little.

My cousin had the surgery, lost a ton of weight, and posted his before and after pics. immediately, the "Congrats", "Well Done" and "Great Work" comments started rolling in.

Congrats and Great Work for what?!?!? Going to your doctor and letting him force you into losing weight because you couldn't do it yourself? Granted, he needed to lose the weight, and he looks great now. But now he's like a recovering drug addict with his constant updates about eating right.

I'm thinking: "Who are you to preach about weight loss?"

I'm not opposed to surgery if needed, and again, I'm not judging anyone who has had it. I agree with multiple points made here already. But it seems you don't have the same bragging rights and the "great work" comments are not earned.

Alright...take it away.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

My cousin had the surgery, lost a ton of weight, and posted his before and after pics. immediately, the "Congrats", "Well Done" and "Great Work" comments started rolling in.

Congrats and Great Work for what?!?!? Going to your doctor and letting him force you into losing weight because you couldn't do it yourself? Granted, he needed to lose the weight, and he looks great now. But now he's like a recovering drug addict with his constant updates about eating right.

I'm not opposed to surgery if needed, and again, I'm not judging anyone who has had it. I agree with multiple points made here already. But it seems you don't have the same bragging rights and the "great work" comments are not earned.

Alright...take it away.
    [/quote

Yea what he said. :explode:
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options

Alright...take it away.

I totally agree...that's why my ticker and before/after photos are only from my high weight before I started MFP...the surgery loss was not through my effort. It was despite my lack of effort. Lol
  • leambi
    leambi Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Personally its got to be diet and exercise, yes surgery might work but the person isnt going to learn to eat better and exercise so whats to stop all that weight coming back on. Hard work and determination never killed anyone (well it probably has but oh well).
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The ones I find impressive are people who find a way to eat through their surgery and put back on 300lb.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I have several friends/family who have had weight loss surgery and continually go one and on about how well they've done. You know, constant FB updates etc. I personally lost my weight without surgery.

I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this issue. Before you start blasting me (or each other) please note that this is intended to be a poll on what people think of weight loss surgery. Does surgery allow bragging rights?

Furthermore, I'm not putting down surgery as a viable medical alternative for those who may need it. Personally, I think it's over prescribed by the medical community/Insurance companies. However, thats my PERSONAL opinion, and I don't think less of anyone who may have that surgery.

Anyway, now that we've gotten that out of the way. Tell me what you think.

you've asked if people having surgery are "allowed" bragging rights..

honestly I think you've made your judgements pretty clear.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    My sister had bypass surgery and she still struggles everyday. She was treated for binge eating disorder but never recovered. Instead she got a psychiatrist to write a letter saying that she was a candidate for bypass. She has lost 1/2 of her hair and takes supplements by the boat load. And her eating disorder is still there. She will go to the Cheesecake Factory and order 2 pieces of cheesecake and eat off of them all week.

I am trying to lose 50 lbs. through diet/exercise and I struggle everyday too. But, I believe that I will be successful. IMO, she just gave up and gave in.
  • berrythin79
    berrythin79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass just over a year ago and didn't use it as a cop-out in any way. I love to workout and do so almost daily. I had other issues and ended up on steroids and struggled to get the weight off. Before steriods I had lost 90+ pounds without any assistance just diet and exercise. After 3 years of struggling to get the weight back off I had the surgery.

I've shared with my doctor several times if I had to do it over again I wouldn't do the surgery. Believe me its no quick fix for some. I still have to work just as hard to loose weight with surgery due to meds. So I think it really depends on the person. I sit in support groups and see people who had surgery years ago and have yet to reach their goal weight due to lack of exercise and learning how to intake large amounts of sugar.

Once again it depends on the person in my opinion. The surgery is only going to help so much anyway. I don't brag because I've always been FINE!!! :-) big or smaller!!!
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My problem with the surgery is it doesn't get to the root of why the person gained all that weight to begin with. I have two friends who have had gastic bypass and another who has a lap band.

All three lost a tremendous amount of weight...initially. But all three gained back their weight over time. Because their reasons for overeating never changed.

I don't necessarily think there's a "better" way to lose weight...everyone has their own journey to walk...but the only way to acheive lasting weight loss is to find out WHY we gained all that weight to begin with. If we don't permanently change those habits, the weight will slowly creep back on.

This is why I'm against surgery personally. If you didn't eat right and exercise before the surgery why would you after? It's just a quick fix unless you change your lifestyle after. Some people are just plain lazy. NOT everyone who has the surgery is lazy but I know a few people who just continue to eat and lay around after they have had it. What's the point in that?
  • ZillyPaul
    Options
    ^absolutley agree that it doesnt always work. But like the fellows wife above, sometimes it is a life saver. :)
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    I think in some cases it is the easy way out. Unfortunately you look at high profile examples like Carnie Wilson...proves it doesn't work as you don't learn to change.

My vote is for diet and exercise. Learning what works for you, what sets you off on a binge, what can take you right back to your old habits in a second, what you can do to avoid falling off the wagon are all important in learning how to make a lifelong change.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It's a long term vs short term solution. Surgery will remove the unwanted pounds, but if you haven't changed your activity level or your eating habits, chances are great that you'll just end up gaining that weight all over again, whereas learning to eat well and be active are much more likely to lead to a lifetime of a better physique and the ability to do the things you want to do without impairment.
  • racky09
    racky09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know of two people who have had the surgery, my high school band director and my best friend. Both were obese before their surgeries, and in the case of my best friend, nothing worked for her. She's been dieting for years and exercising to the best of her ability, but nothing was helping her. She had the surgery, and while she hasn't lost all her weight right away, she still has to make lifestyle changes to be able to lose the weight. On the other hand, my band director lost all his weight right away. Despite having lost it all right away, he still changed his habits and went from being lazy and unhealthy to running marathons for fun. Are they bad people for having surgery? I don't think so, I think they finally found something that worked for them, and they're healthier now than they've ever been, and healthier than me. Who am I to judge them?
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    If someone does not have the mental ability to save themselves, then surgery is probably the only option left for those people. We've no rite to judge anyone. No one is perfect.

I agree, I'm doing it the natural way but I'm sure not everyone is able to do it, especially when you have more than 100 lbs to lose. It's certainly an extreme solution and I hope everyone thinks long and hard before permanently changing their insides.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I work on a bariatric surgery floor, so we had to go to the information session that all prospective patients have to go to. I was surprised at how mentally tough surgery and the post op period is. Scratch that, how mentally tough the rest of your life is. I didn't want to have the option of eating a big meal taken away. I didn't want to have caffeine taken away. I wanted to do it without surgery, but to know I could still have a feast once in awhile. So I don't think it's a cop out. Physically, the anatomy of it might make it easier. But mentally, I think it's a whole lot tougher.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have had surgery - but it takes a whole lot more than one might think. I had to deal with my psychological relationship with food, and to be honest it is just a TOOL - it will not "cure" anything. Those who gain it back - didnt change something in their life or their relationship with food, or thought surgery would fix it and they would not have to work at it. . I work my butt off exercising, and I eat in moderation and log everything I do. It is all about the mindset of the person who does choose to have surgery.

I do agree some make it an easy way out which annoys the heck out of me which leads many to the misconception that it is a cop out. And some docs use it as a quick fix as do some patients and that surgery will cure it by itself, but it really is not as easy as one might think.

It is not a cop out - I still have to work for what I have achieved, it did not come easy.

ETA: How many "regular" dieters have lost their weight to have it come back. It is the same thing as having surgery, changing your lifestyle and your relationship with food. I see many posts - lost the weight , gained it back and here I am on MFP again. So really one can not say it just happens to surgical patients
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    With a successful surgery you modify your diet and exercise. Call it a cop out if you want but to be successful at either you have to dedicate yourself to change.

Don't try to dicate someone else's choices based on your own preconceived notions.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    There is no "vs". You still have to diet and exercise after having surgery. The surgery is just another tool.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The main difference is effort. Yes, absolutely - weight loss surgery can literally save a person's life. For a while. My personal experience has been that people who have the surgery do not make the necessary life style changes to maintain the new lower weight. For those who struggle with the diet and exercise route to massive weight loss, they have had the ups and downs, learned what they can and cannot do, made their mistakes and learned from them.... over the course of months and years.

The restrictive diet of a post-surgical patient is a radical change, to be sure --- but it's being enforced by health care providers and monitored constantly until that individual has reached a certain point. Then, they are turned loose on their old life with little or no hard-won experience to fall back on - and end up gaining a considerable amount (or all) of their weight back.

Of course, this is all anecdotal - I have never been at such high risk, have never had surgery and have only ever used diet and exercise. Considering I've gain and lost the same 25 pounds (after a lot of hard work and effort), I would venture to say any significant weight loss cannot be obtained and maintained by surgery alone.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    Just for those that keep repeating that "my friends had the surgery and have gained all the weight back" I hate to tell you but so do a lot of "natural" dieters gain all the weight back. I say if it gets you to where you need to be, go for it. I think the benefits from carrying around less weight out weigh the so called "cop out" factor.
    By the way I'm doing it naturally, if I could have afforded it, I'd have done it. I do half marathons and am a very active person, but I can tell you that it would be much easier to be active if I didn't weight this much!
    Cut people some slack, you don't know what they've gone through or what their battle is like. Support people, and if you see someone slipping back, don't rag on them, ask them to go for a walk, it will do you both some good!